Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mensa has been driving herself nuts scratching for the last week or so.

She has an appointment Monday Morning at the Vet.

She will scratch and chew every inch of her chest, belly and under-side she can reach.

She has been getting 3,000 mg of GNC's "Fish Body Oils" a day for the last two months.

She was treated by the Vet for "Mites" when she was spayed back in April.

She tested negative for mites a couple months ago when she saw the Vet for scratching. At that visit, the Vet gave her a cortisone shot and suggested the fish oil caps.

She did well after that for a while. But now she's itching again.

She eats Canidae All Life Stages (P.a.W.S.).

She hasn't seen an avocado since The Great Freeze Of '07 wiped us out. She ate at least an avocado-a-day before January and never had any skin problems then. Connection? I wish I knew.

Sometimes I rub her belly with Bag Balm, which seems to calm her a little. Sometimes I wipe her chest and belly with Colloidal Silver (my Mom's suggestion) which does next to nothing for her.

Does anyone have any suggestions for anything I may have overlooked or might try to help her feel like a normal dog again?

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
( CHAZ QUOTE)She will scratch and chew every inch of her chest, belly and under-side she can reach. (QUOTE)

If its only on the underside maybe she`s allergic to a grass or something she lies on. My sisters` dog is allergic to grasses--in the summer Samson goes on a small dose of prednisone when it gets really bad.
I know a lot of people on this board feed canidae--I did not have luck with it. Copper our 11 year old lab had lick granulomas on his feet. I started trying different foods with him. He may have been allergic to chicken, grains, who knows. To make a long story short, he does better on a no chicken, no grain food. So he is fed the Eagle Pack Holistic Fish Meal one. Tamora is home cooked. She does the best on a beef,liver, sweet potato, veg plus vitamins, fish oil, bone meal. (chicken gives her diahrea) I did find that she does tolerate EAgle Packs Holistic--fish etc. meal. ( use as training treats)
Lot of dobermans (store owners say use this) and have good luck. I think all the oil from the fish in it must help.
I think to find what they maybe allergic to is hard, but less of anything is best. Hopefully maybe you are dealilng with a seasonal thing.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I agree with Always. If it's only the underside maybe she is getting into something. If she's been eating Canidae for a while I don't think it would be doing it. Maybe try getting an antihistamine for her or some benadryl? Talk to the vet but these should block the cause of the itch. Cortizone just numbs the pain sort of but eventually wears off. Otherwise try finding Avacado oil it's suppose to be even better than olive oil for cooking. So maybe it's better in other areas too. Just my two cents. Good luck, I hope you find a solution soon.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Coco use to have allergies really bad....but he would lose some hair on his paws, legs, and around his eyes. He would always have redness in those areas and he would get VERY PINK on the underside of his belly. He didnt enjoy walking in the grass...but my mom gave him some supplements like Transfer factor and changed his food and each year it has gotten better and better. Now he only itches his paws alittle bit in certain summer months like right now. but doesnt have the serious pinkness crustiness etc.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
You could try changing her food to California Natural. It is not as good a food as Canidae, but it is a good food and there are minimal ingredients. Check it on dogfoodanalysis.com to see what they are. A dog can always develop new allergies.
Did the vet tell you to give 3000 mg of the fish oil? I had a vet tell me a long time ago that too much would just go straight thru the body and not do any good. Personally I think it would take more than the 3000 mg tho. You might just check with your vet on the dosage if he didn't tell you to give that much.

·
Supersized Warlock Alpha
6,923 Posts
I think Canidae is a great food, but he may possibly be allergic to something in it... Natural Balance and Wellness also make high quality foods that have alternate protein sources like duck or venison. I've had good luck with both. Look for grain-free foods too.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
My Riggs has real bad allergies. From what I remember, allergic response due to food is pretty rare. We did try Riggs on Royal Canin rabbit and potato for about 6 months and I did not see a significant response to keep him on it, plus a 20# bag was $47.00. If I thought it helped, he would have remained on it, since switching to Wellness Sweet Potato and Fish (I think that is the name) he is no worse or no better. I have had him allergy tested although I had to pull teeth to have my vet initially run the test because he said even with a positive result does not necessarily mean that is our problem. He said SOMETHING will come back positive. I have since had him to another vet who works with the Vet Dermatologist and the best thing she told us to try was Chlorhexiderm Shampoo. That seems to help his itchy skin. I do have pred on hand if he gets too bad also a years refill of antibiotics. I use those very sparingly, I try benedryl first.

I think some of Riggs’ licking problem is compulsive.

Allergies are not fun!!! Good luck, let us know what happens.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
She has been getting 3,000 mg of GNC's "Fish Body Oils" a day for the last two months.
I forgot to mention this. This is in The Whole Dog Journal. (June 2007)
Whenever adding oils of any kind you need to supplement with vitamin E or the body will become depleted of this vitamin over time.. 4oo IUS to a large dog (more than 60lbs, anywhere from daily to once a week.
Recommended fish oil-(1000mg) per 20-30lbs of body weight.
Tamora is 60-63 lbs. and gets 1000mg (twice a day) I just put it in her food. She eats anything.:)

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
I'd try benadryl. Give one & see if it helps. If it does it's prob an allergy. Isabelle gets itchy every now & again with the weather. It seems this year my horse is have skin issues and I got a spray & shampoo that helps him & I think you can use it on dogs. It Micro-tek or something like that - Eqyss is the company that makes it. They also make all kinds of dog stuff too. If I remember right the webiste is www.eqyss.com - just a thought.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mensa just got home from the Vet.

The Vet thinks maybe Mensa still has mites and gave her a perscription for Ivermectin, which I'll give her every day for a month.

Next month she (the Vet) wants to see Mensa again to see if it's helping. If she's still itching/scratching she wants to do a skin bi-opsy.

Mensa is better this week than last week, but she's still scratching more than I like to see.

I picked up a dozen avocados at the market (something I thought I would never have to do) and she's going to start getting one of those every day to see if it helps her. Couldn't hurt. Besides, Mensa is crazy about them.

Thanks for the heads-up on the vitamin E, A*H*P.

Mensa weighed in at 84.6 lbs, so I guess she's a big girl.

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
Keep us posted ~ I hope the meds & avacados do the trick. Did your avacado trees die or will they come back to life? When we have the big freeze we thought that we were going to loose a lot more plants then we did. I had some flowers that didn't make it, but the orange tree is doing well.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I had an itchy dobe. Tried many different foods to see if it was a food allergy. finally eliminated everything he ate except a grain free food, think it was fromm surf and turf. Well the thing that i changed was eliminating rawhide chew toys...beef. Then noticed a huge flare up on his skin after giving him some beef liver... again beef. So now I feed a raw/kibble mix with Fromm and no beef. has stopped itching completely. It may take a while to figure it out, but i would bet something in his diet is causing a reaction. good luck

·
Registered
564 Posts
I had switched Harley to Canidae ALS, and he also went nuts scratching and chewing himself on his chest and belly. It was so bad he actually chewed his nipples to raw bleeding nubs. I went to several different foods, before removing flax seed from his diet. The insanity soon stopped. Maybe something to consider.

·
formally Doberdog
3,770 Posts
Mensa has been driving herself nuts scratching for the last week or so.

She has an appointment Monday Morning at the Vet.

She will scratch and chew every inch of her chest, belly and under-side she can reach.

She was treated by the Vet for "Mites" when she was spayed back in April.

She tested negative for mites a couple months ago when she saw the Vet for scratching. At that visit, the Vet gave her a cortisone shot and suggested the fish oil caps.

She did well after that for a while. But now she's itching again.

She eats Canidae All Life Stages (P.a.W.S.).

She hasn't seen an avocado since The Great Freeze Of '07 wiped us out. She ate at least an avocado-a-day before January and never had any skin problems then. Connection? I wish I knew.

Sometimes I rub her belly with Bag Balm, which seems to calm her a little. Sometimes I wipe her chest and belly with Colloidal Silver (my Mom's suggestion) which does next to nothing for her.

Does anyone have any suggestions for anything I may have overlooked or might try to help her feel like a normal dog again?
Do I remember you saying the Mensa is getting treatment of some kind recently? Maybe Chemo, I hope I'm wrong but I seem to remember something about this. If so, could the itching be related? In humans sometimes when they have liver issues, they have intense itching, mostly on their trunk but it is all over if I remember correctly. Just thinking out loud. I'm not a Vet Tech or anything like that. I just work in a hospital around a lot of sick folks and I'm forever trying to relate everything to animals. I have no idea if it works the same for them.
I will pray for Mensa to get better on both issues.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts