Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this is old news to you. .....allergies are one of the most common diseases seen in dogs: difficult to definitely diagnose, frustrating to treat, and makes dogs miserable. Testing is expensive and not reliable. Fortunately, the new food sensitivity test by Hemopet is looking very good for determining if food ingredients are a problem for a dog. The good news: this test can be done DIRECTLY by the owner!! More good news: testing is done by an extremely reputable laboratory, Hemopet. Pass the word around, because the test has potential to make life easier for affected dogs. Read about this test at:

Welcome to Nutriscan - Dog Food Sensitivity Kit

·
Premium Member
10,177 Posts
Apologies if this is old news to you. .....allergies are one of the most common diseases seen in dogs: difficult to definitely diagnose, frustrating to treat, and makes dogs miserable. Testing is expensive and not reliable. Fortunately, the new food sensitivity test by Hemopet is looking very good for determining if food ingredients are a problem for a dog. The good news: this test can be done DIRECTLY by the owner!! More good news: testing is done by an extremely reputable laboratory, Hemopet. Pass the word around, because the test has potential to make life easier for affected dogs. Read about this test at:

Welcome to Nutriscan - Dog Food Sensitivity Kit
Well, I'm one of the skeptics that Jean Dodds mentions. First of all Hemopet is not actually a lab. I don't know who actually reads the results of the saliva test (and adding the dogs saliva to the test kit is the only part that the owner does) but I know that the thyroid tests "done" by Hemopet are all done by Antech which is a very good, well know, HUGE, lab--Dr Dodds then takes those results and adds her comments and recommendations and returns the results with comments to the owner.

I suspect the sensitivity/intolerance "test" will be similar. And Dr Dodds is very specific about saying this is NOT a test for allergies but for sensitivities or intolerances to certain things in food.

I think one of the things to remember is that in spite of the fact that a lot of times you hear people saying that it's an allergy or sensitivity or intolerance to something in the dogs food and it may be--it's also true that a lot more things that get diagnosed as food problems turn out to be contact or inhalant allergies.

But what Dodds says in her blurb about the fact that allergiest and food sensitivities and/or intolerances are not the same thing--that part is accurate.

Since this is a brand new "test" I'd be willing to let other people check it out--it may turn out to be the best thing since sliced bread (in which case I'll eat my words and apologize) or it may simply be another type of snake oil.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts