Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello once again. It seems to be that my puppy is scratching the back of her front legs with her rear legs and she also nibbles on her hind legs. She is developing hairless spots that look like dry skin. Ive talked to multiple people and everyone says its either food alergies or dry skin. Well since we just got her on new food (grain free earthborn holistic) i cannot determine if it is a food allergy or dry skin.... Is there a way to determine what the cause of itching is... We just did the oatmeal shampoo and conditioning and she is still itching like crazy.... I feel terrible at the fact that she is possibly miserable..

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
The best way to determine the cause is a visit to the vet, you'll want to make sure she doesn't have any staph or yeast infections, as well as pick up a medicated shampoo. Honestly the oatmeal imo is more for our piece of mind than for doing any real good. It in fact makes mabel flakier!

If it is the food, switching her isn't going to clear up the issue right away if she has scratched and chewed her way into an infection, in which case the food and changes won't happen until it is treated. It may also be a pollen/plant allergy too with it being spring and all.

What was her last food? Has she always been on it? What flavor/protein and brand did you switch her to now.
Go to pollen.com have any pollens kicked up prior to/the day her itching started?

I also second melbrod's mange and skin scraping given her age, allergies are possible, but mange or a skin infection(yeast/staph) sounds more likely.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a vet appointment on April 4th. I just dont want a lazy vet giving me an easy answer just to get me out of the office. You guys are amazing at helping.. I will indeed inquire about the mange and skin scraping..

I dont know the last food she was given as i recieved her as a rescue situation so i am now giving her earthborn holistic grain free great plains feast food that is bison meat protein.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts