Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
You all wanted me to keep you posted, so here I am again. Lilly bit my son in the face a 2nd time.
We had been working with her with food and "leave it" and supervising her with my son at all time. My son had rules that he couldn't pet her or let her out of the kennel or basically do anything with Lilly if he was not supervised. He had to sit at the table to eat snacks and everything else, he was not allowed in the house with her alone, or downstairs or upstairs with her alone. He has been really following the rules too.
Today however, he got a wild hair up his ass and decided it would be a good idea to blow in her face through a straw. Lilly was curled up next to me on the sofa and he was in a separate chair, he was corrected 1x and sent upstairs to clean his room. He was up there for 30-45minutes and Lilly stayed with me on the couch. When he came back down and wanted to sit with us, he got on the sofa and moved her feet and she immediately jumped up and bit his face before I could say "NO!" This time she caught his nose and high cheekbone near his eye with her mouth. No stitches, another warning bite I am sure... but I hate to say this and am crying as a I write this post, but she will not be with our family any longer. I was sitting with them supervising the entire time and she still bit him, I can not take another chance with her. I know that some of you will scold me for it, but I have to say that I work for a vet as a technician, I have another dog, 2 cats, and a snake and I DO NOT get rid of animals. But my son is more precious to me then a dog and I can not take a chance that one day she isn't going to warn him again but instead maul his face. I am having a very hard time with this and I know it is the best thing for her to go to a home where there are no children. I do not think she needs to be put down, but she needs to be in a home where she can get lots of attention and thrive without small children. If anyone is in the raleigh/durham area of NC and would like to have her, please contact me at [email protected]

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Sorry to hear there has been another bite incident.

Did you ever manage to get started with that behaviorist?

I agree, this puppy should not be in the home with your son.

I think the most responsible thing you can do now is to get a thorough eval of her temperament, to see if it's safe to try her in another home or not.

If the verdict (expert opinions, of course) is "NO," then I am sure you, as a vet tech, know the most humane and responsible thing is to euthanize her.

I am sure you guys have seen veterinary clients pass on a risky/dangerous dog to be someone else's problem, and that would be wrong, of course.

It would be difficult to get her into a rescue situation, since she now has a bite history, but maybe not impossible, if her issue is indeed evaluated to be only with small children.

Again, just impossible over the 'net to determine the true extent of the problem and the risk, so get with a great behaviorist and find the best plan.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
I agree with the above and do not fault you for wanting to remove her from your home, as an adult who's been bit in the face it's hard to go through and I agree with you that you need to protect your son first. As much as we can teach kids to be with dogs you still need a dog that can be with kids that have silly moments (such as blowing them with air). It's not fair for you to live in a tense situation.

Hugs for all of you.

·
Why is the rum gone?
2,263 Posts
I feel for you. Not all dogs get along with kids, and I commend you for realizing that and also for taking the effort to make sure your girl finds a good home. A behaviorist and rescue group would be a good place to start. There's homes out there without children. I hope everything works out, I know it's a tough situation.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I'm sorry you are going through this.

From your description of the bite, it sounds like she showed quite a bit of bite inhibition. That might help with getting her placed in a rescue.

I would also be weary of random DT members emailing you to potentially take her. With two bite incidents, I would only go through experienced rescues or professional behaviorist to have her placed. That's just me though as I've seen plenty of people take on challenging dogs thinking they will be the magic touch and not have it work out.

Best of luck to you!

·
Banned
3,463 Posts

I think the most responsible thing you can do now is to get a thorough eval of her temperament, to see if it's safe to try her in another home or not.

If the verdict (expert opinions, of course) is "NO," then I am sure you, as a vet tech, know the most humane and responsible thing is to euthanize her.

I am sure you guys have seen veterinary clients pass on a risky/dangerous dog to be someone else's problem, and that would be wrong, of course.

It would be difficult to get her into a rescue situation, since she now has a bite history, but maybe not impossible, if her issue is indeed evaluated to be only with small children.

Again, just impossible over the 'net to determine the true extent of the problem and the risk, so get with a great behaviorist and find the best plan.

I agree with everything that RFR said. I do not know if they will be able to help you or not, but please contact Ellen Berry ( [email protected]; ) with the Doberman Rescue of North Carolina, Inc. Doberman Rescue of North Carolina If I were you I would send a very detailed email, especially in regards to both "bite" incidents. I would even include your phone # in the email and ask her to contact you via phone so that you could explain exactly what happened. I am sure that she could refer you to a reputable behaviorist and be able to give her opinion on the situation in regards to your dog being accepted by a reputable rescue.

·
Always Faithful
622 Posts
My 2 y/o male bit my 75 y/o mom in the face exactly one week ago today. He bit her 3x in fact (no warning bite at all) and she did require a trip to the ER, stitches and pain meds. Not to mention, she was traumatized by this and quite fearful of him. Rightfully so. I do not have children. My dogs ARE my kids, but this incident could not be ignored. After contacting a behaviorist, our former trainer, the dog's breeder, and a Vet, the conclusion was to put him to rest. I believe it was the best decision for us all, even though we are grieving now.

Whatever anger or worry or frustration dogs like these are holding onto, if you do not feel you can help rehabilitate them, the most humane thing to do is to release them from it. As painful as that might be to follow through on, it's not as difficult to overcome when opposed to dealing with another incident that could result in a more serious injury.

I'm so sorry you're experiencing this, and I truly hope your son doesn't become afraid of or defensive towards dogs because of his experiences with her. You can overcome this.

·
Whippet Up
1,588 Posts
I'm sorry you are going through this.

From your description of the bite, it sounds like she showed quite a bit of bite inhibition. That might help with getting her placed in a rescue.

I would also be weary of random DT members emailing you to potentially take her. With two bite incidents, I would only go through experienced rescues or professional behaviorist to have her placed. That's just me though as I've seen plenty of people take on challenging dogs thinking they will be the magic touch and not have it work out.

Best of luck to you!
No rescue I know will take a dog that has a bite history. If they do they are setting themselves up for big trouble.

These threads are always sad. However personally, to take up a rescue home for a dog with this kind of emotional baggage and history is wrong. There are too many really good tempered dogs that deserve the spot.

It's unfortunate that (as I understand so forgive me if I am wrong) the OP wasn't able to get with a behavior expert to assist.

Bite inhibition? Teeth on skin should never happen PERIOD. This dog has no problem reacting with a bite. A kid blowing in it's face is something most dogs would just move away from.

I feel sorry for the dog. Whatever is happening in that head isn't good.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
The OP also needs to keep in mind that they have a huge amount of potential liability by placing this dog with someone else. Placing a dog with a known bite history puts you in a bad position to get your behind sued if another bite episode occurs in the future.

·
Doberman Slave
2,677 Posts
Have you contacted her breeder to see if they want her back? They would probably be the best ones to help in a situation like this and save you a lot of trouble in placing her. A puppy with an issue like this will not be easy for a novice to place properly.

Reactions: Australdi and Adara

·
Banned
3,463 Posts
Just a little background to go with this. The OP posted this thread a month ago on 4/26/12 in the puppy forum.

Help! My dobe just bit my son :(

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is my first time on this site. I hope you all can help, you all seem friendly. So... I have a 5.5month old spayed female dobie. She was my sister in laws from 8wks to 4 mos old. She didn't have any training and she had 2 kids and a military husband, so the dog was the last thing on her mind. Over the last 6 wks, I have noticed her food aggression and found ways to deal with it. We make her wait for her food. We feed her separate from our other dog. We have timed feedings. I take her food away and make her wait to show her I am alpha. I have my 4yr old feed her, she is trained to stay until he says ok.
Tonight, he was walking around with goldfish and he dropped them by accident and she went right for them. When he went to get them from her and get her to back off, she bit him in the face. She did break the skin, but she did not mean to hurt him. She is never aggressive toward him. My 4yr old has a habit of teasing both dogs with his toys, sometimes food, and chasing them with toys. We have warned him countless times to stop teasing the dogs. So... before anyone says anything, I know that both my son and my dog are at fault. My husband told me, that my son was teasing her, and then the fish hit the floor and my son had a bite.
What do I do to make sure it doesn't happen in the future?? I am sure that my son knows the consequences of his teasing now. But how can I trust that my dobie will leave any dropped food alone, especially if my son goes to clean it up? Part of me wants to try to continue to train her, and part of me wants to get rid of her. Please Help!

I would never recommend rescue to someone whose dog had a bite history. However, this is a 6 1/2 month old puppy. In my opinion, with the right owner, in the right household and with the proper training and boundaries, I think this puppy could, and perhaps should, get a new lease on life. This puppy is already in her second home in her short 6 1/2 months and I'm sorry but neither of them sound like they were the best situation for her. Some may disagree with me, but I definitely think this puppy deserves a chance after being properly evaluated by someone experienced with the breed and placed in a home with someone that is experienced with the breed.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
No rescue I know will take a dog that has a bite history. If they do they are setting themselves up for big trouble.

These threads are always sad. However personally, to take up a rescue home for a dog with this kind of emotional baggage and history is wrong. There are too many really good tempered dogs that deserve the spot.

It's unfortunate that (as I understand so forgive me if I am wrong) the OP wasn't able to get with a behavior expert to assist.

Bite inhibition? Teeth on skin should never happen PERIOD. This dog has no problem reacting with a bite. A kid blowing in it's face is something most dogs would just move away from.

I feel sorry for the dog. Whatever is happening in that head isn't good.
I respectfully disagree. The rescue I volunteer for will take dogs with a bite history depending on the severity and circumstances of the bite. In this case, a dog that is her age, we would most definitely consider. In fact, my current foster has a bite history. This is a different breed so maybe that might be where we see differences.

I also strongly believe this dog showed bite inhibition. Do I think it was right of the dog to bite the child? Absolutely not. However, I do think that the dog could have done much worse and did show some restraint. This is an internet forum, no one witnessed the bite other than the owner, and no offense to the OP, but I've lost faith in the majority of dog owners ability to read their dogs.

Astra, I agree with you in this case. I think this puppy can be placed in a home where she can be worked with and managed once a professional behaviorist evaluates her and aides in the rehabilitation process.

·
Whippet Up
1,588 Posts
This is an internet forum, no one witnessed the bite other than the owner, and no offense to the OP, but I've lost faith in the majority of dog owners ability to read their dogs.
This is a very good point.

·
Registered
675 Posts
My 2 y/o male bit my 75 y/o mom in the face exactly one week ago today. He bit her 3x in fact (no warning bite at all) and she did require a trip to the ER, stitches and pain meds. Not to mention, she was traumatized by this and quite fearful of him. Rightfully so. I do not have children. My dogs ARE my kids, but this incident could not be ignored. After contacting a behaviorist, our former trainer, the dog's breeder, and a Vet, the conclusion was to put him to rest. I believe it was the best decision for us all, even though we are grieving now.

Whatever anger or worry or frustration dogs like these are holding onto, if you do not feel you can help rehabilitate them, the most humane thing to do is to release them from it. As painful as that might be to follow through on, it's not as difficult to overcome when opposed to dealing with another incident that could result in a more serious injury.

I'm so sorry you're experiencing this, and I truly hope your son doesn't become afraid of or defensive towards dogs because of his experiences with her. You can overcome this.
So sad when something like this happens did you see Levi bite your Mom

Sorry about your Mom

·
Super Moderator
22,015 Posts

Please read this again. I'm so sad to see that you didn't get professional help, and now this pup will pay the consequences.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts