Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
~ Sarah
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

So before I start, I did see a recent thread posted about breeders in VA, however, the thread did not produce many answers so I thought I would try out my own thread.

I am located in Galax, VA, but I may be willing to travel for the perfect breeder. (Or ship, if permits)

What I'm looking for:

I'm looking to adopt a Doberman in the next 1-2 years from a breeder who has lines that may excel in obedience in hopes that the drive to learn/obey may be passed down thru the puppies. Health is of the utmost importance, though, quickly followed by temperament.

If anyone can point me in the right direction for reputable breeders who have healthy lines and good breeding practices, please let me know!
Include contact info such as: Name, Location, Phone number, Email Address, Facebook Page, and/or Website Link.

Thanks a bunch!

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
Sarah, I would start with the DPCA breeders list. Do your research as not every breeder on that list is what some of us consider very reputable, but most are. Always ask a lot of questions - a good breeder is going to be happy to go over the pedigree, titles, health tests, etc... with you.

Not every good breeder will be listed on that list either. Some occasional breeders are not listed as they get too many people calling/emailing when they have no litter planned (Why I am no longer listed - my last litter was 6 years ago). If a breeder does not have a litter planned but thinks you would be a good home, they will generally try to send you to someone who might.

I recommend that people create an email with a doggie resume in it. Info about yourself, family, home, dog experience, what you are looking for & what your plans are for a puppy. The worst thing you can do is to send an email (or call) with two questions: do you have puppies? How much? This is guaranteed to get your email sent straight to the trash. Good breeders have waiting lists and you really have to put yourself above the average buyer.

Reactions: MeadowCat

·
~ Sarah
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sarah, I would start with the DPCA breeders list. Do your research as not every breeder on that list is what some of us consider very reputable, but most are. Always ask a lot of questions - a good breeder is going to be happy to go over the pedigree, titles, health tests, etc... with you.

Not every good breeder will be listed on that list either. Some occasional breeders are not listed as they get too many people calling/emailing when they have no litter planned (Why I am no longer listed - my last litter was 6 years ago). If a breeder does not have a litter planned but thinks you would be a good home, they will generally try to send you to someone who might.

I recommend that people create an email with a doggie resume in it. Info about yourself, family, home, dog experience, what you are looking for & what your plans are for a puppy. The worst thing you can do is to send an email (or call) with two questions: do you have puppies? How much? This is guaranteed to get your email sent straight to the trash. Good breeders have waiting lists and you really have to put yourself above the average buyer.
I did contact several breeders on the DPCA list, and also searched these forums as well. Unfortunately, no breeder has gotten back to me. Of course I understand they aren't available 24/7 so I'm willing to wait for responses.

Is there a list of questions to ask a breeder? I'm sure there are some I'm not thinking of that I could benefit from.

I do have a doggie "resume" of sorts that I use when filling out puppy applications. I stick it in the additional comments section usually. I actually prefer a waiting list as well, since I'm not going to be adopting right now, so I do not usually contact the breeder asking if they have puppies, but I do ask about prices since that is a decently large factor in adopting. I have my price range expectations set around 1,500-3,000. These are prices I've been seeing. All I want is a dog that will be healthy, has a good background and temperament from an ethical breeder, etc.

·
Super Moderator
21,697 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Sarah!

I highly recommend you contact Kathy Davieds at Jesaran Dobermans. Her contact information is on the DPCA breeder listings. I've known Kathy for about 5 years - she bred the sire of my boy, Richter. She's a very ethical breeder and has very good health and longevity in her lines. I think you'd be very pleased as a first time Doberman owner with one of her dogs.

It may take patience as she may not be breeding soon, but it would be worth the wait. Feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
i would also contact the nearest chapters of the DPCA. There are two in Virginia and one here in Maryland. Any of these clubs *should* have a breeder referral person who will know who is actively breeding and who's expecting a litter. You can find the chapter listing here: The DPCA | Chapter Clubs

Reactions: MeadowCat

·
Super Moderator
21,697 Posts
I want to add one thing...I would change your language to not use the word "adopting" when talking to breeders. Typically, "adopting" is used when you talk to rescues. When you work with a good breeder, you are purchasing a dog, not adopting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts