Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Our old "sticky" on weight was outdated with photos that could no longer be seen, so we're creating a new sticky here.

This is a reminder that weight is an important factor in your dog's health. A 14 year long study found that healthy weight dogs lived an average of 2 years longer than overweight dogs. 2 years! (You can read about that study here: Purina Life Span Study)

Make sure to keep your dogs lean and healthy. How can you tell if your dog is at a healthy weight? Run your hand along the side of your dog. You should be able to easily feel their ribs and see the faint outline of the last rib when they are standing. If you have to "hunt" for their ribs, there is too much padding! They should have a nice "tuck up" - no saggy belly! Looking down from above, they should have a defined "waist". Talk to your veterinarian and ask them to be honest with you - does your Doberman need to lose 2 or 3 pounds? More? Remember that excess weight is hard on the heart, and heart issues are a huge, huge issue in our breed!

Here is an excellent read from the AKC on weight: https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/health/how-to-tell-if-your-dog-is-fat/

Here is the body condition chart from the WSAVA (World Small Animal Veterinary Association):

(link to the WSAVA page on pet weight: https://petobesityprevention.org/pet-weight-check)

·
Got mutt?
13,646 Posts
This was Lily from January 2015, right after I got her.

2015-1-26 Lily DSC_0344 by Rosemary Elwell, on Flickr

Now, she had been living on a chain in the middle of winter and needed some extra weight, and was in the middle of a false pregnancy, but at 42 pounds, she was distinctly pudgy and out of shape.

This is Lily from March 2015.

2015-3-24 Dogs DSC_0422 by Rosemary Elwell, on Flickr

She was down to 38 pounds, had finally lost most of her false pregnancy mammary enlargement, and was more active.

And finally, this is Lily from April 2020.

2020-4-11 Dogs & Yard DSC_0070 by Rosemary Elwell, on Flickr

She hovers around 35 pounds these days. She's now six years old, and was spayed after her second heat cycle, when she was two.

And where did all that grey come from?! :cry:

·
Got mutt?
13,646 Posts
totally agree with keeping weight off dogs and humans however with my dogs it is a lot easier than with their owner :) I wish someone would manage my weight at much as I mange my dogs weight
Ain't that the truth?

Reactions: LadyDi and melbrod

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,104 Posts
This is Capri at what I think was a decent weight—she was a tall girl and generally ran about 70 pounds.

With a dog that is fit, in addition to the various clues mentioned above, I like to see some delineation between the muscle bundles on the haunches.

Because of dobermans' short sleek coats, it's fairly easy to feel the ribs for an undesirable fat layer, but you also shouldn't see any rolls of thick skin/fat in front of the tail or thick rolls where the neck meets the shoulders.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts