Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Starchild
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last 4-5 days, after a meal (one of lunch or dinner) Harley gets really riled up. At first all he did was just chase after me biting my legs and grabbing on to my shorts (most times really painful)- all I did to negate this (from my readings) was to give him a different chew toy, when that failed I'd stand up and ignore him until he calms down (which usually meant me walking away because he'd be attacking me). Now yesterday and today he's been barking and growling at me when he gets these fits.
I exercise him, play with him until he tires, try to train him the usual stuff I don't know if this type of behaviour is expected or I'm doing somehting wrong here.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,294 Posts
Sounds fairly typical for a young Dobe puppy--you can add a brief time-out period (a few minutes) for him if he doesn't pay any attention at all to the toy distraction and the ignore trick. Sometimes puppies get all riled up and out of control and they just can't find the off switch, especially when they are getting tired and need a nap. The time-out gives them a chance to get through their little bitey skulls that their behavior is not getting the result they wanted and to learn to relax enough to put themselves to sleep.

Other than that, perseverance, firmness, patience and a constant mantra of "he will grow out of this; he will grow out of this" is enough to stop this behavior--eventually.

He WILL grow out of this.

·
Starchild
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah thank you, now in these situations is it alright to crate him for those few minutes or just leave him be?

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,294 Posts
I didn't do the crate thing much--I had a small area in a room like the kitchen or a bathroom walled off with an x-pen that doubled as a daytime playroom, a place to put him when I was too busy to keep tabs on what he was doing, and also a daytime sleeping area for the pup. If the puppy got out of control, I would say "No bite" rather firmly (or label the offense somehow, " No _____"), pick up the pup and place it in its pen with a friendly "There you go" and leave the room (go out of sight).

Sometimes the pup would make a bit of a hulabaloo; I listened--usually the puppy would switch to quiet play with the toys which were scattered around, sometimes he would go to sleep, sometimes he would keep hollering and I'd wait for a quiet moment to go back in and let him join me.

Be firm but not angry with misbehavior (easier to do if you nip the bad action in the bud rather than put up with it until you can't take any more), be happy to see him when he is behaving properly again, be matter of fact ("see, that's what happens when you do that") about his mistakes. He will push the envelope to see what he can get away with--but ultimately he wants your presence and approval.

·
Dobie Lover
152 Posts
My 14 week old does the same, when he's hyper he does anything. He also chases me and tries to bite my shorts and engage me in a tug of war with my own pants.

I tell him "no" firmly and then he'll stop. He also goes to the family room table and he'll grab magazines and the remote control or whatever he can find and run away and play with it. He's a real devil...but a few minutes later he'll crash for a couple of hours and it's peaceful again.

They can be a real handful at this age...

·
Super Moderator
21,894 Posts
It's fine to crate for a little while if your pup is overtired and can't settle himself down. I used a crate for Shanoa in that way and it really helped. She just couldn't settle down and take a nap without it. She still loves her crate.

Reactions: brw1982

·
Registered
142 Posts
My Great Dane used to do something similar. He'd hop around barking and snapping on his hind legs. It was intimidating at first but he was just playing. When it got to be too much we'd say " shhh shhh shhh, that's enough" and I'd scratch his side or wrap my arms around his head. He'd still be a little bitey but calmed down. I don't think your pup is being serious. Perhaps developed a " calm down" tone. Don't get nervous of afraid though. My mother was terrified and our dog knew it.

·
joie de vivre
11,272 Posts
Also, something to consider, is the risk of bloat in this breed. I crate during meals and then quite often I leave my 2 in their crates to rest for about 45-minutes after meals just to make sure they're letting their tummies settle rather than being too active.

I always made Fiona rest in her crate after meals as a pup. It helped her stay focused on eating her food rather than playing and then didn't give her an option but to lay down to digest after. Otherwise she would throw a fit trying to play during and after eating.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts