Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was playing with Diesel's feet today (weird I know) and I noticed one of his back pads is like cracked. It doesn't seem to bother him. He let me touch it and mess with it and he's never bothered with it. It's not bleeding or anything is this normal? are they just dry or is it from walking on the street and sidewalk?

Here's a picture of it...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Dickson has the exact same thing and it has never seemed to bother him.
I usually put balm on his feet especially during the winter because they tend to get a little dry, but those cracks seem to stay no matter what I do.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Looks dry is all, if he's not bothered just keep an eye on it.
At most what I'll do for mabel is buy some bag/udder balm and rub it on there (while napping so it has time to soak in and she doesnt lick it off)

Looks like someone needs a nail trim too ;)

Reactions: kwhite30

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dickson has the exact same thing and it has never seemed to bother him.
I usually put balm on his feet especially during the winter because they tend to get a little dry, but those cracks seem to stay no matter what I do.
Glad to know he's not the only one :) Where do you get the balm from?

Perhaps the pavement is drying out and cracking his pads. Maybe something like Musher's Secret would help protect his pads while you're out walking.

Amazon.com: Mushers Secret 60 gram: Sports & Outdoors
I will look into it. Thanks!

Looks dry is all, if he's not bothered just keep an eye on it.
At most what I'll do for mabel is buy some bag/udder balm and rub it on there (while napping so it has time to soak in and she doesnt lick it off)

Looks like someone needs a nail trim too ;)
Where do you get that from?

Yes he does! Ugh I got his front two done earlier but then the little booger woke up and decided he didn't want me to finish so I have to wait for his next nap haha NOX was suppose to do it ;)

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
We live in a dense urban area, 80% of our walks are on pavement. Chase gets really dry and cracked, so every time I clip his nails, I also rub in a balm that moisturizers the pads.

If you notice peeling, bleeding, lumps, or bumps I would get it checked out. Other than that, it may be time for a manicure :)

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Bag Balm

Just click the where to buy link. I get ours at the store I've mentioned before that's like tractor supply meets menards/home depot. I find it by the horse and cow stuff since traditionally it started out as an udder balm.

ETA: ok so it just says the kind of stores but really farm type stores have it, sinister may be of more help to something local, i wouldn't doubt she's seen it. The 1 oz can lasts mabel about 30-50 rubs on all 4 feet, you use very little and if it is somewhere warm it will sorta melt so keep it somewhere cool or its a mess!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We live in a dense urban area, 80% of our walks are on pavement. Chase gets really dry and cracked, so every time I clip his nails, I also rub in a balm that moisturizers the pads.

If you notice peeling, bleeding, lumps, or bumps I would get it checked out. Other than that, it may be time for a manicure :)
Thank you.

Yes I know haha His front paws look beautiful if that helps haha He woke up while I was doing it so I couldn't get to his back ones. Those will have to wait till his next nap today.

·
Collar Connoisseur
908 Posts
I use mushers on Nut's paw pads too! His look just like D's but his has more of an edge to it lol

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I use coconut oil and it softens right back up to like when he was a puppy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts