Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
******* was in season at about 7 months and since then her nipples never shrunk back to normal size. She is now almost 11 months. To me they look fairly large. I am wondering if this is normal? I will be taking her to the vet's next week for heartworm..etc. but I would like to know what you think. The last picture, the nipple that is showing looks large but it is not like that when she is standing.
These pictures were taken at my work, just in case you were thinking I couldnt keep a clean house...lol

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Yes it is normal. Lexus wasn't spayed until she was two, her nipples grew in size during her first heat and never shrunk down again. Whereas all my other bitches that I've ever had, including Scrappy that I have now, were spayed prior to their first heat, they've all had tiny nipples. It is a hormonal thing :)

Boy we've had a lot of nipple attention here lately huh :D:D

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OMG, you mean they will probably never shrink??? I don't really care but I am sick of answering people's question.."How many puppies is she nursing"? Or "when is she due"? LOL

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
******* was in season at about 7 months and since then her nipples never shrunk back to normal size. She is now almost 11 months. To me they look fairly large. I am wondering if this is normal? I will be taking her to the vet's next week for heartworm..etc. but I would like to know what you think. ]
They look pretty normal to me. Once they go into season the first time, they'll never have tiny little puppy nipples again. I guess you could say "normal" changes with sexual maturity.

If/when you spay them, their nipples will shrink down a bit over time.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They look pretty normal to me. Once they go into season the first time, they'll never have tiny little puppy nipples again. I guess you could say "normal" changes with sexual maturity.

If/when you spay them, their nipples will shrink down a bit over time.
I am thinking of spaying her before her next heat...but I am on the fence about it. I may wait till after the second heat, there is just so much conflicting info. out there.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
OMG, you mean they will probably never shrink??? I don't really care but I am sick of answering people's question.."How many puppies is she nursing"? Or "when is she due"? LOL
LOL, yeah I had someone ask me in the pet store last summer if Lexus was pregnant b/c her nipples were larger. They aren't going to get really noticably smaller, so get used to it, even if they do shrink a tiny bit like Murrey said they might over time :)

·
Registered
696 Posts
Raven my Boston went through a False pregnancy with her second heat, even to the point of producing milk. She never puilled up after. She really looks like she had a litter. I asked my vet and he said to just keep her in top condition. Keep her weigh down and exercise her. We spayed her, 3rd heat. (Which she was also starting a false pregnancy with.) She also has a big vulva now. It's use to be small and unnoticable when she was not in heat. I think this is a draw back of spaying later.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Java was spayed before her second season (she is now two) and her vulva is much smaller now than it was when she had her first heat. Her nipples have gotten somewhat smaller, mind you it's not something I really pay attention to...And why is it the guys with 'man boobs' who always ask this type of question....?

·
Premium Member
10,596 Posts

Okie-dobie,

You'll have to write the stupid questions off to the fact that many people have no clue about bitches nursing puppies.

For "How many puppies is she nursing"? They can't have even seen a Dobe (or any other big dog breed) bitch who is nursing a litter--they basically look like milk goats--particularly if they haven't fed the litter in a few hours.

And for "when is she due". They can't possibly have every seen a bitch carrying even a medium sized litter--by the time they are down to the last week even a litter of six will make them look like elephants.

Wish I had a scanner and could send you some of the pictures I have. I've got one where the bitch is standing up and feeding the litter of eight. The puppies can nurse just find standing flat footed under her.

Anyway--*******'s nipples just look like adult bitch nipples now--murreydobe said they may shrink slightly after she's spayed but that's about all.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okie-dobie,

You'll have to write the stupid questions off to the fact that many people have no clue about bitches nursing puppies.

For "How many puppies is she nursing"? They can't have even seen a Dobe (or any other big dog breed) bitch who is nursing a litter--they basically look like milk goats--particularly if they haven't fed the litter in a few hours.

And for "when is she due". They can't possibly have every seen a bitch carrying even a medium sized litter--by the time they are down to the last week even a litter of six will make them look like elephants.

Wish I had a scanner and could send you some of the pictures I have. I've got one where the bitch is standing up and feeding the litter of eight. The puppies can nurse just find standing flat footed under her.

Anyway--*******'s nipples just look like adult bitch nipples now--murreydobe said they may shrink slightly after she's spayed but that's about all.

I agree, I have seen a nursing bitch and they are triple the size of *******!!
Silly people, I guess I will just keep answering there questions.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
I have been asked those same questions about Piper. "How many litters has she had" or "I thought they only looked like that if they had been bred" I let her go through one season before I spayed her. I honestly think people just DONT know. So, I dont mind them asking.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am new to the forum, and I have had this question, I have a 11 month old bitch, black and rust. My husband been on the forum for awhile, but I wanted to tell you, that Izzy since her first heat has had very large nipples, and I have searched to see why, because our other bitch didn't have them this large. I am glad that I found this chat. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am new to the forum, and I have had this question, I have a 11 month old bitch, black and rust. My husband been on the forum for awhile, but I wanted to tell you, that Izzy since her first heat has had very large nipples, and I have searched to see why, because our other bitch didn't have them this large. I am glad that I found this chat. Thanks.

Wow, have not seen this thread in a long time. Anyways, *******'s nipples have shrunk almost back to normal. Still a little big but much better then when I first asked this question.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts