Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello. we got her ears cropped with Janine Anderson Friday. (i want everyone to know we didi the crop with a seasoned professional)
I took these pictures moments ago.

We are first time ear croppers and are wondering if this looks normal?

a few things to note: when we got her some stitches along the ear were loose. we have had the donut on her at all times to prevent scratching but she can still reach the tip of her ears. anyway she made one of the stitch loops bigger and squealed in pain. i taped it down with medical tape because i didn't want her to catch it again (just the stitch. the tape is not touching the ear)
she tries to rub her ears against the carpet constantly. we stop her but sometimes she gets a few good strokes in (honestly we are not even sure she is making contact with the carpet)

Smith vet is closed today. was going to bring her in tomorrow morning just to make sure.
But for now what do we do?
her moms owner has had three dobermans, he asked me to come over so he can gently clean the areas with a swab or cotton ball. Then we just watch it and see if more puss like looking stuff comes out. sounds fine, what else can we do if anything?

NOTE: when taking off her sock Doctor Anderson said we could use Neosporin to detach the scabs from the sock. they were deeply attached so we deffiently used Neosporin. also she has super dirty ears naturally. could it just be ear wax?

Attachments

Reactions: LadyDi

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
heres the images but larger

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,809 Posts
Many times once they Yelp they will learn to leave the site alone.
The tape you mentioned, that might be drawing your pups attention to the ears.
The more air on those stitches the better during healing time.
Triple antibiotic if suspecting infection until you get to your vet. but if all is going good then dry is good for those ears.
I would not let anyone clean the ears other than your vet. ....especially if going to the vet tomorrow.
Once your pup is well healed you will be able to clean those ears up, currently looks bad I understand but dry blood will clean up later once you start posting the ears.
Write down your questions for your vet visit It seems things are so busy during vet visits now.....everything is quick.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many times once they Yelp they will learn to leave the site alone.
The tape you mentioned, that might be drawing your pups attention to the ears.
The more air on those stitches the better during healing time.
Triple antibiotic if suspecting infection until you get to your vet. but if all is going good then dry is good for those ears.
I would not let anyone clean the ears other than your vet. ....especially if going to the vet tomorrow.
Once your pup is well healed you will be able to clean those ears up, currently looks bad I understand but dry blood will clean up later once you start posting the ears.
Write down your questions for your vet visit It seems things are so busy during vet visits now.....everything is quick.
Thanks so much! the tape i mentioned wasn't placed on her ears. It was taped to the cone but has the large stitch (the one she pulled on and made larger) taped down against her cone. if that makes sense? i didn't want her to pull it further. again. the tape is not touching her ear and just holding the stitch loop down. (not tightly)

we went to her moms owners house, good friends of ours and the people we got Nani from. He looked at her and said he doesn't see infection. its just scabbing over heavily. He thinks she is just fine

Phew! i am just worried. Niko is the puppy they kept from the litter. he got his ears done two days before Nanis and his just look so much more clear and cleaner. so i was a little concerned. i feel better now.

But if anyone has more advice i am all ears

Reactions: dobebug and melbrod

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
Two days of healing on cropped ears makes a lot of difference.

Generally with newly cropped ears the best thing you can do for them is leave them alone. Don't get carried away trying to clean them while the sutures are still in place and you don't want to pick at the scabs--scabs fall off when the tissue underneath is healed. If you pick them off you disturb the healing process--you delay it and every time you pick off a scab that hasn't fallen off itself you pick off a piece of tissue--delays healing and I've seen puppies where when edge finally did heal it actually had scallops in the edge.

I've raised a lot of puppies with cropped ears over time and I learn long ago that puppies will try to rub or scratch at ears--but generally if they make contact with a foot or with carpet on the raw edges they'll yelp but be less inclined to keep trying because they do learn that it hurts.

And like LadyDi said--dry is good. It generally means no infection and just a healing ear. You can clean them all you like once the sutures are out and the edges are entirely healed.

dobebug

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Two days of healing on cropped ears makes a lot of difference.

Generally with newly cropped ears the best thing you can do for them is leave them alone. Don't get carried away trying to clean them while the sutures are still in place and you don't want to pick at the scabs--scabs fall off when the tissue underneath is healed. If you pick them off you disturb the healing process--you delay it and every time you pick off a scab that hasn't fallen off itself you pick off a piece of tissue--delays healing and I've seen puppies where when edge finally did heal it actually had scallops in the edge.

I've raised a lot of puppies with cropped ears over time and I learn long ago that puppies will try to rub or scratch at ears--but generally if they make contact with a foot or with carpet on the raw edges they'll yelp but be less inclined to keep trying because they do learn that it hurts.

And like LadyDi said--dry is good. It generally means no infection and just a healing ear. You can clean them all you like once the sutures are out and the edges are entirely healed.

dobebug
Thanks! i myself wouldn't try cleaning them. (by cleaning them i meant wiping away what we thought was puss. I would never EVER remove a scab. But luckily it turned out it wasn't puss. doesn't it looked like puss in the picture?!?! I was so worried because the vet was closed today too)

The "breeder" (a close friend) didn't clean them either. he looked at them and said they look good. they are just extra gross right now and should clear up and look better in a day or two. Nani got to spend some time with her mom and her brother Niko. Mom licked her ears a couple times. Which made me so nervous! of course we stopped her when she did. but honestly she made them look much better! (mom has been licking Nikos ears once in a while. And Nikos ears look wonderful) We know that she shouldn't be doing it. But has gotten away with doing it to Niko more than a few times so im not going to waste my time stressing about it haha

1 - 6 of 6 Posts