Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i am thinking about buying this Doberman pup and i am a little skeptical on if they are in good health or not. I noticed alot of missing hair around the eyes and ears of the mom and some hair loss on the ears of the pup that i am interested in. the pups are about 7 weeks as of now and i just want to be safe before i spend $1500.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
Who's the breeder? What's the pedigree? What health testing was done on both of the parents? Are the parents titled?

(I can't see the photos, so I'm asking the questions which should matter most to you.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Who's the breeder? What's the pedigree? What health testing was done on both of the parents? Are the parents titled?

(I can't see the photos, so I'm asking the questions which should matter most to you.)
the breeder is a first time breeder here in florida. Both parents are AKC registered and she said the pedigree will be a "surprise" on purchase day. Should i ask for it before hand? i am new to the puppy buying process but have been around dogs for alot of my life (25 y/o)

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
A surprise? NO NO NO RUN away from this person.

(I also don't like what I'm seeing of the adult dogs in the photos.)

Things you should know long before giving anyone funds: pedigrees of both parents. Full health testing of both parents. Ideally you'd want the parents shown to Championship or equivalent title in sports - AKC registration isn't a title, it's just registration. The stickies here are all worth reading. This thread, in particular, is something you should read. This thread should help you find a reputable, ethical breeder. I would start looking for a breeder at the DPCA breeder listing, here. I understand there's a number of decent breeders in Florida. There is also an active chapter club - that's a FANTASTIC way to network.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A surprise? NO NO NO RUN away from this person.

(I also don't like what I'm seeing of the adult dogs in the photos.)

Things you should know long before giving anyone funds: pedigrees of both parents. Full health testing of both parents. Ideally you'd want the parents shown to Championship or equivalent title in sports - AKC registration isn't a title, it's just registration. The stickies here are all worth reading. This thread, in particular, is something you should read. This thread should help you find a reputable, ethical breeder. I would start looking for a breeder at the DPCA breeder listing, here. I understand there's a number of decent breeders in Florida. There is also an active chapter club - that's a FANTASTIC way to network.
ahh ok thank you for the help. She just sent the AKC kennel registration over for the pups when i brought it up but she seems hesitant about send anything dealing with the parents .

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
13,952 Posts
I agree. Run, don't just walk, away from this breeder. I'm betting that the "surprise" pedigree will be that there is none, and the pups aren't registerable.

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
13,952 Posts
We must have been typing at the same time.

ahh ok thank you for the help. She just sent the AKC kennel registration over for the pups when i brought it up but she seems hesitant about send anything dealing with the parents .
The litter registration and individual registration paperwork would have the names of the sire and dam on them.

Reactions: falnfenix

·
Premium Member
10,587 Posts
So i am thinking about buying this Doberman pup and i am a little skeptical on if they are in good health or not. I noticed alot of missing hair around the eyes and ears of the mom and some hair loss on the ears of the pup that i am interested in. the pups are about 7 weeks as of now and i just want to be safe before i spend $1500.

Thanks in advance!
Well, if I was doing this I'd just mosey along. First of all good breeders don't "surprise" prospective owners with the pedigree of the puppy you might want to buy. They should be providing at least a 3 generation certified (by the AKC) pedigree and health records for the the parents.

And for openers $1500 is dirt cheap for a Doberman puppy from a reliable breeder.

And the missing hair which can clearly be seen around the eye of the bitch is all too suspicious of being demodectic mange. While demodex isn't uncommon in Dobe puppies (undeveloped immune system) an adult bitch who has recurrent problems with mange during heat seasons and pregnancies (actually it's recommended bitches like this not be bred) may have very poor immune systems and that can be at least in part genetic and passed along to the puppies.

I've been in Doberman since 1959. I never would buy a puppy if I hadn't seen the pedigree, the health records of both sire and dam --it also looks like the sire and dam are both owned by the breeders. Also not such a great idea--the better breeders will not breed to a male they own just because he's there and handy. They look all over the country and sometimes all over the world for the BEST possible mate for their bitch. Not the one that is handy.

Read those links that falfenix posted and then start looking again. Being forewarned is being forearmed.

Better luck next time.

dobebug

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
13,952 Posts
There are some dogs from European kennels on the sire's side, but the dam's side looks like pets, with no titles. Neither the sire nor dam show up on the OFA website using their registration numbers. No cardio testing in the breed would be a hard pass for me.

·
Big Lil pup
6,742 Posts
Hi esto. Welcome from the Pacific NW.

OK... Just one more swing to hammer in that obvious nail: DO NOT buy a pup from this breeder.

So glad that you reached out before you got the pup. If you continue with this purchase, you could be looking a lot of heartache and expense in the not too distant future. My main concerns buying from a back yard breeder would be:
  • The short and long term health of the pup. Extensive health testing of the sire and dam is essential when breeding Dobermans.
  • Temperament. A good and responsible breeder also breeds for dogs with a temperament that is compatible with home living and whatever training the puppy buyer might have in mind for the dog. A well bred, well cared for and properly trained Doberman can make a wonderful household addition. However, a poorly bred Dobe from an unknown pedigree, being raised by a first time owner, unfamiliar with the breed could end up being a horrible pet. You see a lot of dogs purchased this way, with the best of intentions, ditched to shelters, or even put down.
  • Having a dog that was bred to AKC standards. This is why known pedigrees and titles, as falnfenix and dobebug pointed out, are so important.
  • Aiding and abetting the perpetuation of poor breeding practices.

Best to you in your search for a great puppy. Please return and let us know how things are going.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

Edit to say: The AKC Litter certificate just popped up after I posted.

That confirms my comment

J.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are some dogs from European kennels on the sire's side, but the dam's side looks like pets, with no titles. Neither the sire nor dam show up on the OFA website using their registration numbers. No cardio testing in the breed would be a hard pass for me.
You all have been a great help

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi esto. Welcome from the Pacific NW.

OK... Just one more swing to hammer in that obvious nail: DO NOT buy a pup from this breeder.

So glad that you reached out before you got the pup. If you continue with this purchase, you could be looking a lot of heartache and expense in the not too distant future. My main concerns buying from a back yard breeder would be:
  • The short and long term health of the pup. Extensive health testing of the sire and dam is essential when breeding Dobermans.
  • Temperament. A good and responsible breeder also breeds for dogs with a temperament that is compatible with home living and whatever training the puppy buyer might have in mind for the dog. A well bred, well cared for and properly trained Doberman can make a wonderful household addition. However, a poorly bred Dobe from an unknown pedigree, being raised by a first time owner, unfamiliar with the breed could end up being a horrible pet. You see a lot of dogs purchased this way, with the best of intentions, ditched to shelters, or even put down.
  • Having a dog that was bred to AKC standards. This is why known pedigrees and titles, as falnfenix and dobebug pointed out, are so important.
  • Aiding and abetting the perpetuation of poor breeding practices.

Best to you in your search for a great puppy. Please return and let us know how things are going.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

Edit to say: The AKC Litter certificate just popped up after I posted.

That confirms my comment

J.
Thank you!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Also would give this one a pass, if this backyard breeder is failing even those simple details that's a huge red flag. If your still wanting to give it a go you should get those details first and a health guarantee in writing before you drop a dime. Dobies is a huge commitment, and you don't want to also have life long health issues or a heartbreaking event of losing your best friend way too soon.
I would also want a the registration, and check those registrations! Further vet check results and she should give a health guarantee in writing. My gut is telling me these poor pups may become future rescues....

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
She's hesitant because she knows she shouldn't be breeding them. People doing it wrong may not know WHY they're doing it wrong, but when they hide things they know they could be better.

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
13,952 Posts
I got ambitious, and checked the AKC website. The sire's DOB is 6-8-19, so he didn't turn two until after the litter was whelped.

Reactions: falnfenix

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got ambitious, and checked the AKC website. The sire's DOB is 6-8-19, so he didn't turn two until after the litter was whelped.
how do you see this info on AKC? the only two that i can get to populate on the dog lookup option is the dam and the sire

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
13,952 Posts
how do you see this info on AKC? the only two that i can get to populate on the dog lookup option is the dam and the sire
I have a MyAKC account for my personal dogs. I can also get access to limited information about other dogs through it, like their date of birth and any titles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts