Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog plays rough, obviously, she's a doberman. Anyways, at the dog park she can play a little too rough for some of the dog owners. So we are constantly having to stop her or take her out. A few people have mentioned an electronic collar, ones that vibrate rather than shock. Would this type of collar stop her before she gets out of hand? Also is this a good way to train, such as teaching her not to pull on the leash? Shes got the basic obedience down like sit stay lay, so dont need it for that. But leave it and the leash pulling still needs a little work. Is Iit better to just go to some training class?

Sorry for all the questions.

·
joie de vivre
11,272 Posts
Find a trainer. I don't think an e-collar is the answer. She has to be trained to know what you want before you can correct her for it and it sounds like her training is lacking in a few ways.

An e-collar won't train your dog; you have to do that. An e-collar will proof an already trained response.

·
Love the Nub
4,897 Posts
find a trainer. I don't think an e-collar is the answer. She has to be trained to know what you want before you can correct her for it and it sounds like her training is lacking in a few ways.

An e-collar won't train your dog; you have to do that. An e-collar will proof an already trained response.
^^^^^^ this!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Find a trainer. I don't think an e-collar is the answer. She has to be trained to know what you want before you can correct her for it and it sounds like her training is lacking in a few ways.

Good point. Thanks for the fast reply.

·
Super Moderator
21,890 Posts
E-collars often amp up a dog when they are already over-the-top. It's very possible you would actually make your problem worse, turning over-excitement into aggression.

I would absolutely recommend finding a good trainer to work with. My starting place to find trainers is here: Search for Professionals

·
Registered
2 Posts
My dog plays rough, obviously, she's a doberman. Anyways, at the dog park she can play a little too rough for some of the dog owners. So we are constantly having to stop her or take her out. A few people have mentioned an electronic collar, ones that vibrate rather than shock. Would this type of collar stop her before she gets out of hand? Also is this a good way to train, such as teaching her not to pull on the leash? Shes got the basic obedience down like sit stay lay, so dont need it for that. But leave it and the leash pulling still needs a little work. Is Iit better to just go to some training class?

Sorry for all the questions.
Get “The Art of Training your Dog” by the Monks of New Skete (Br. Christopher) and Marc Goldberg. Used cautiously and gently, e-collars are really effective training tools. My dog and I are on Lesson 7 of 14. I broke my hip last year because I had insufficient control of my puppy’s pulling. She’s a large breed and very strong. A positive reinforcement trainer’s solution was laughably inadequate. I took a breeder’s suggestion and turned to a gentle leader. Better but not good enough. A week and a half on a Dogtra 1900S, which I had to buy at a hunting store because of the bias against e-collars in Boulder, and the tenor of our walks has changed dramatically. I’ve reinvested in the notion of our hiking off-leash in the mountains, something I had given up on our being able to do. Just because so many people misuse e-collars, don’t dismiss their utility and the possibility of using them humanely out of hand. The Monks of New Skete would be the last to use them if humane applications were impossible.

·
Got mutt?
13,820 Posts
This post nis eight years old, and the OP long gone.

If you are going to use an electronic collar, you should work with an experienced trainer, and be aware that there can be unintended consequences.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts