Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For one reason or another Chi can't just lay down with a bone and chew it. I swear this dog is OCD! Most dogs will take their bone, hold it between their paws or let it lay on the floor and chew away - Not Chihiro. She has to either be standing up with the bone resting on a piece of furniture OR she'll steal a tennis shoe and put the bone in the shoe, so the bone is sticking out the top, to chew on it - she never chews on the shoe, just the bone inside of it. If the batteries weren't dead in the camera, I'd take a pic of it... Any ideas on why she does this? Is she the only one with odd chewing behaviors?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Gracie likes to chew on her Nyla bone while you hold it for her. She will chew it while laying down but she really prefers that you hold it for her. That way you can pet her all at the same time. :) She will also spit it out on your lap then start chewing which is the sign for "hold it." If you don't hold it for her chances are she will nip your leg while chewing on the bone.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I like the shoe trick. Pretty smart there. Asher loves to sit with a bone on the chair and chew on it staring at you. Just waiting for you to tell him it is ok to get up there. Other than that, Doodle gets lazy and lays sideways on the floor chewing on the bone in his mouth. Funny to watch anyhow.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Now that I think about it....I remember getting pinched on my leg cause duchess always insisted on chewing her bone ON someone lol...if she wasnt standing and dropping it in your lap and chewing...she was laying RIGHT on top of you with her bone on your thighs so every now and then OUCH!!! hahaha but now she seems to not be so desperate to be by us when chewing on a bone...so maybe its just a 1 year old thing...lol

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Da'Kari has put toys in our lap and chewed on them and nipped us but we had to break her from that cause it hurt LOL, but never a bone, she goes off to herself and lays down with it.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Oh my what funny doberman's we have.. Now our dogs are all quite different.. Iris is quick with her bones and eats them fast.. Gypsy is next a little slower but not much.. Spirit will eat his for a little while and then walk away from it to see what the girls are doing then growl and run back and finish his.. I really have to watch him as he doesn't always chew it up enough and I have to go in after a piece.. Yuck!! Now little Miss Raven.. she will walk and walk and walk around with her's .. waiting for everyone to finish theirs so she can growl and say " oh look what I have and you don't" Ha yours is all gone and I still have mine" I sometimes have to take it away from her as she get so nasty mouth with the other dogs.. Weirdos

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Such a quirk I would say. Nikki also has the similar quirk, but its more of like she needs to hide her bone or pig's ear before eating it. Its funny watching run around the house trying to find a place to hide it. Especially when she tries to slip it under the cushions on the couch. My particular favorite is when she tries to hide it under the cat sleeping on the couch. Lets say the cats are not amused by this. If she can't get it completely under the cat, she use her nose to move the cat's tail to cover it up. Ofcourse, that never works for long....In the IT world, we call this stuff a "Feature".

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Java is happiest when she can flop her front end onto your lap and plop the Nyla Bone into your hand. It's not enough that you hold it - she has to put at least one paw over your wrist to keep it in place. Either that or she holds it with both paws, one end up, the other in a groove she makes in her floor pillow. Bottom line is that as long as one of her humans are w/in her line of sight, she is one happy Dobe.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Sounds normal to me

·
Registered
694 Posts
Sabot tries to hide his bone too...cracks me up, he goes from one corner to the other corner and sometimes tries to hide it in the couch cushions....he is very intense when he is doing this

·
Extraordimary
4,969 Posts
I've had numerous Dobermans over the years that prefer to chew their bones from a shoe - I don't know why that would be "attractive" to them. They also love to hide toys in my husband's work boots.

Zeke often chews his bones or Kongs on the ottoman - he stands beside the ottoman or puts his upper body on it and chews. Shelby kneels in a chair with her bone on the upper back of the chair and chews that way. But that's multi-tasking. That way she can chew but also watch out the patio door for any nazi squirrels that need to be furiously barked at.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts