Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IS THIS A PIPE DREAM

Why doesn`t AKC FCI help the different
breeds by having ( for example something like a Good Housekeeping Seal—I am not sure if that means anything anymore, but at one time it did.) but a seal behind reg. bitches and dogs registration showing that all
health testing was done prior to breeding. (and continue to the point you can go back 3 generations or so)

Than put ads in the newspaper to explain it. An ad could read. Does your pup have the AKC FCI stamp of approval? Maybe this would help stop some of the byb, puppymills etc. I think the public would be getting educated at the same time. At AKC or FCI sponsored shows, ads could run in the programs as well as signs or a FYI sheet. I would imagine there would be many other ways.

Has anything like this ever been attempted or worked on?

It seems to me there are more health issues in purebreds, to many BYB and of course way to many puppymills. It seems like a few are trying to breed responsibly (even on this board there are). It just seems the message is not getting out there. I would think you have to start at the top for it to filter down to the everyday people who would love to know.

Change comes with education. This was my grass root thoughts on it. Any thoughts?

·
Extraordimary
4,992 Posts
What is "all health testing?" It would be different for the various breeds, and even within a breed, a lot of people disagree on what is necessary and what is not.

And then how do you deal with the fact that you'd have your trusted organizations advertising something like "cardiac normal" when we all know that "normal" may very well not be "normal" forever, especially in this breed? It's not just cardiac testing either. Normal eyes today may not be normal eyes in the future. Normal thyroid today may not be normaly thyroid in the future. 0 premature ventricular contractions today may be 5000 PVCs next year, and so on.

Health testing is not static. That's the biggest problem with the idea as I see it.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What if they did a review every year and maybe each breed govern their own such as DPCA for the dobermans (at least in this country, perhaps something else in another). Maybe a stamp of approval by the DPCA for dobermans.
It just seems their should be some base health level for breeds. Anything to stamp out the puppymills and pups that die way to young in their prime.
I guess I`m dreaming of a more perfect world.
Imput was good Mary & Dobes-makes me think.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
What if they did a review every year and maybe each breed govern their own such as DPCA for the dobermans (at least in this country, perhaps something else in another). Maybe a stamp of approval by the DPCA for dobermans.
QUOTE]

One problem with the idea of a "stamp of approval" is potential liability in this litigious society. That's why the DPCA discontinued their Genetic Health Certificate program, which was pretty close to what you're brainstorming about. It was decided that the title could be taken as some implied GUARANTEE of genetic health, and a disgruntled puppy owner who bought a puppy from parents who had received a GHC but then lost the dog to some unavoidable health problem could turn around and sue the DPCA. Stranger things have happened.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE]

One problem with the idea of a "stamp of approval" is potential liability in this litigious society. That's why the DPCA discontinued their Genetic Health Certificate program, which was pretty close to what you're brainstorming about. It was decided that the title could be taken as some implied GUARANTEE of genetic health, and a disgruntled puppy owner who bought a puppy from parents who had received a GHC but then lost the dog to some unavoidable health problem could turn around and sue the DPCA. Stranger things have happened.
UNBELIEVEABLE-but probably true. What about some sort of waver or maybe
just educate throughads etc. Questions to ask . I know its on the DPCA site but thats not where potential owners go (they never heard of the DPCA--some people don`t even have internet). Just a thought.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
UNBELIEVEABLE-but probably true. What about some sort of waver or maybe
just educate throughads etc. Questions to ask . I know its on the DPCA site but thats not where potential owners go (they never heard of the DPCA--some people don`t even have internet). Just a thought.
Well, the DPCA *does* have an ad that usually runs in Dog World and Dog Fancy magazines every month. I say "usually", because There was some down time when the ad didn't appear recently due to a billing problem, but the ads will start again with the June issue. It alerts people to the existence of the DPCA, and provides contact info for breeder referral. So that's a start-once people find out about the DPCA, they have a resource for additional information. Just a bit of trivia-the dog pictured in the ad is a dog I bred.

The DPCA also has a fairly new program in conjunction with OFA called the CHIC program. To be issued a CHIC number and listed in the OFA database as such, the dog has to have taken a specified group of health tests and also have taken the WAE. So the club is making efforts to find a solution of how to showcase breeders who make every effort to produce healthy animals.

·
Extraordimary
4,992 Posts
I don't know where potential owners go ... they never seem to find good information until after they purchase although it's certainly out there to be found if they'd look ahead of time.

And then we've certainly seen the case here many, many times of people having found the less than stellar breeder, they get the information they need which should change their minds but they go ahead and buy anyway. Sometimes I don't think education helps a bit.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
And then we've certainly seen the case here many, many times of people having found the less than stellar breeder, they get the information they need which should change their minds but they go ahead and buy anyway. Sometimes I don't think education helps a bit.
There is a wealth of knowledge out there. All people have to do is search for it. Some people don't know where to look. Some just don't quite care. The fact is, you can try to teach and educate all you want, but you can't if they aren't willing to learn.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know where potential owners go ... they never seem to find good information until after they purchase although it's certainly out there to be found if they'd look ahead of time.

By the amount of the puppies in the newspaper I say a lot go there. DPCA should run ads there with big letters and a phone number. Thats where I went over 25 years ago. (sad to say) I would have listened. Even if a few potentials listen it spreads and its one less bough from a byb or puppymill.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, the DPCA *does* have an ad that usually runs in Dog World and Dog Fancy magazines every month. I say "usually", because There was some down time when the ad didn't appear recently due to a billing problem, but the ads will start again with the June issue. It alerts people to the existence of the DPCA, and provides contact info for breeder referral. So that's a start-once people find out about the DPCA, they have a resource for additional information. Just a bit of trivia-the dog pictured in the ad is a dog I bred.

The DPCA also has a fairly new program in conjunction with OFA called the CHIC program. To be issued a CHIC number and listed in the OFA database as such, the dog has to have taken a specified group of health tests and also have taken the WAE. So the club is making efforts to find a solution of how to showcase breeders who make every effort to produce healthy animals.
I am glad there is some effort being made. I think the best info to give is the DPCA with a phone number and get it out everywhere.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are A LOT of newspapers in this country, there's no way the DPCA could place ads in every one of them.
Perhaps on a local level. For example here in St.Louis the main newspaper is the St. Louis Post Dispatch. The DPCA here could have a raffle at a sponsored dog show--collect money--run ads (spring, summer, fall ,winter). I would think more money would come in for something like that. If every local group would ear mark something like that, it would help. That way you could reach a lot of people through a lot of different newspapers.
It wouldn`t even have to be a raffle to earn $, tack on an extra $1 on the entry.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Perhaps on a local level. For example here in St.Louis the main newspaper is the St. Louis Post Dispatch. The DPCA here could have a raffle at a sponsored dog show--collect money--run ads (spring, summer, fall ,winter). I would think more money would come in for something like that. If every local group would ear mark something like that, it would help. That way you could reach a lot of people through a lot of different newspapers.
It wouldn`t even have to be a raffle to earn $, tack on an extra $1 on the entry.
Not an idea without merit. And there are times that's been done at the local level. I don't know if they're still doing it, but for a long time the DPC of Las Vegas had an ongoing ad in the classifieds of their local paper about albino dobermans, with a referral to reputable breeders.

The thing is, there are SO MANY areas where donations are needed..rescue, health research, public education. People do the best they can with the resources available to them for the most part, and many times they have to prioritize. Raffles are common at specialty shows-the proceeds usually go to rescue. Those dogs need help NOW, on a critical basis.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts