Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!

We are thinking about getting a rescue doberman and I came across this cutie.

Petfinder Adoptable Dog | Doberman Pinscher | San Antonio, TX | Delany

Do you think she could possibly be a weimaraner? We have a cat and I know weimaraners are agressive towards cats so I wanted to get everyone's expert opinion!

There's also a video of her on the site to get a better look at her.

Thanks everyone!

·
Got mutt?
13,836 Posts
Looks like a natural eared fawn dobe to me.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Looks like a nice floopy eared fawn dober to me. I had my doubts but the face plus the rest of the look and faint tan marks that you see when you enlarge the photo seal the deal

Reactions: Sherryh

·
Registered
551 Posts
She looks like a Doberman to me.

Weims and Dobermans alike can have a high prey drive (aka cat chasers). With a lot of training and that sort of thing, some dogs can get used to living with cats. Just make sure to let the rescue know that you have cats.

Good for you for looking for a sweet rescue!

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Hi, welcome to DT.

Looks like a fawn Doberman to me.

Er, you mentioned you "know" Weims are aggressive to cats--that's sort of a blanket statement, huh? I know Weims who live quite nicely with cats, and I know Dobermans who just can't peaceably live with cats or small animals.

In general, any breed with a lot of energy and prey drive is going to take some training and management to be safe around small animals--and even then, it depends on the individual dog.

Anyway, she sure is cute and I hope things work out :)

·
Premium Member
10,228 Posts
Hi, welcome to DT.

Er, you mentioned you "know" Weims are aggressive to cats--that's sort of a blanket statement, huh? I know Weims who live quite nicely with cats, and I know Dobermans who just can't peaceably live with cats or small animals.

In general, any breed with a lot of energy and prey drive is going to take some training and management to be safe around small animals--and even then, it depends on the individual dog.

Thanks for addressing that blanket statement for me RFR. It sort of drives me mad when I see stuff like that--I actually know more Weim's than not who are just fine around cats. They may be like my Dobes who have all lived with cats since the beginning of my ownership of Dobermans--my dogs will chase a cat in the yard who isn't "their" cat--this is a non issue any more since my cats in the city are all now indoor only.

And actually all of my dogs from the mutts my family had when I was growing up to the various purebreds they've owned and that I've owned since 1959 have lived with cats. To the horror of a good many people who will swear to you that you can't have any sort of small animal around any of the sight hounds the best friend my Afghan Hound had was a half feral cat who taught him to play tag with cats.

And I don't see anything except a cute fawn Dobe bitch--doesn't look at all like a Weim to me--my fawn boy would love to have her here to play with--instead he's stuck with the cat who will play chase the cat (or reverse it and play chase the dog)--the older Dobe he also lives with thinks they are both morons and does his best to ignore them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi RedFawnRising,

I've been going off of this list in my breed research about reliability with non-canine pets:

Reliability With Non-Canine Pets, Dogs with Pets

I also made the assumption about weimaraners because of this video:

Breed All About It: Weimaraner : Video : Animal Planet

It says "Weimaraners were first bred to pursue wildcats."

I understand that with any dog, especially a 1 year old, will want to chase cats and it will take much training to leave the cat alone :)

I'd love to hear your thoughts and if there's any more information about Dobes you'd like to let me know, please do! I've been researching Dobermans for almost a year now and would love to know more about the breed!

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Hi RedFawnRising,

I've been going off of this list in my breed research about reliability with non-canine pets:

Reliability With Non-Canine Pets, Dogs with Pets

I also made the assumption about weimaraners because of this video:

Breed All About It: Weimaraner : Video : Animal Planet

It says "Weimaraners were first bred to pursue wildcats."

I understand that with any dog, especially a 1 year old, will want to chase cats and it will take much training to leave the cat alone :)

I'd love to hear your thoughts and if there's any more information about Dobes you'd like to let me know, please do! I've been researching Dobermans for almost a year now and would love to know more about the breed!
There are a ton of resources here to learn more about Dobermans, but your best bet for that would be to get out to some shows and trials and watch the classes and meet folks, get to know some of the dogs.

You could also ask a local rescue if you can volunteer, and get some experience with the breed that way.

Of course, if your other breed you're interested in is in fact the Weim, you can apply the same steps to gain real information on that breed, as well.

The first link you posted is sort of a generic thing, most of the listings on there don't really seem to have been written by folks who really know their breeds, IMO.

I didn't watch your video, but keep in mind Animal Planet is a commercial enterprise and have historically supported some less-than-accurate programs.

Get out and meet some dogs! :D

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Fawn, natural eared dobe.

Leo says "ugh, why does everyone think we are weims???". We cropped our fawn puppy's ears cuz that gets old! :D

I have fawns, my sis has weims. The color differentiation on the legs is a dead giveaway, not to mention a completely different head shape.

Oh and my fawns are BAD about cats they don't know. So are the weims. Not breed related at all, besides high prey drive in both breeds. 2 dobes here, two weims with my sis. Both crews live with "their cat", and any of the four would probably run down and kill a strange cat. Luckily, they are not given the chance...

·
Why is the rum gone?
2,263 Posts
Definitely a fawn, natural eared Doberman. Her coloring looks so much like Logan's.

I got a lot of "Is that a Weim" when he was alive too. The ears and tail on my Dobe were very different than a Weim's, but.... Of course, someone thought Logan was a greyhound too, so who's counting? :D

·
Registered
125 Posts
my boy was "cat tested" at the rescue. He passed, didn't really care two things about the cat. We get him home, and all he wants to do is play with the cats. He chases the male cat, which ticks the cat off. They do love each other, though. They will lay side by side, sleeping.

I would suggest finding a doberman rescue to volunteer with, you will get to see the good, the bad, and the ugly of dobermans:roflmao:. I have been volunteering with the Doberman Rescue of the Triad for 8 years now. It has been a really great experience for me, and really made me want a dobe more.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
my boy was "cat tested" at the rescue. He passed, didn't really care two things about the cat. We get him home, and all he wants to do is play with the cats. He chases the male cat, which ticks the cat off. They do love each other, though. They will lay side by side, sleeping.

I would suggest finding a doberman rescue to volunteer with, you will get to see the good, the bad, and the ugly of dobermans:roflmao:. I have been volunteering with the Doberman Rescue of the Triad for 8 years now. It has been a really great experience for me, and really made me want a dobe more.

Yeah, I find the only usefulness of a "cat test" in a shelter situation is this:

Did the dog go batsh*t crazy trying to get the cat at first sight, or not?

If not, and he/she shows only mild interest and can be easily redirected, I consider the dog a candidate for further evaluation with a dog-savvy kitty.

A better picture of the dog's cat-safety can be had if it's a reputable rescue who has had the dog in foster care in a home setting for a while. Still not fool-proof and things can and sometimes do change, once the dog is really "home" for a while.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I agree.

our boy doesn't want to harm the cats at all, just wants to play, which they don't always want to. He loves pushing their buttons, though.

·
Registered
337 Posts
While this is true, there is a slight difference. Weims were bred to hunt. Dobes were bred to protect. I may be wrong though. I often am.

Hi, welcome to DT.

·
Registered
255 Posts
My uncle had a weim that lived with 4 cats perfectly. My Doberman hates cats and thinks he needs to save us from them. Any dog can be aggressive towards cats. Especially dobermans that can have a high prey drive. Just make sure what ever dog you rescue is ok with your animals already in your house.

Beautiful girl! Keep us updated :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Wow, all you guys are so wrong! That's a Vistula!
But I can also see a little chi in her too.

LOL. Kidding of course! That's is most definitely a fawn dobe! No doubt! Haha, how many of you guys dropped your jaw when you read the above?:D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts