Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have been doing my research, and asking my self time and time again, would a doberman really be happy in my home and if so when would be a good time for me to get a puppy. So to help me and my family make the right decision I am going to ask my forum friends their opion. I will try my best to give you just the facts and please feel free to ask me further questions if you feel that I have left out an important aspect I didnt think about. PLEASE HELP!!!! It as always been my dream to own a doberman and now I feel as if I may be able to accomplish that dream.

Ok the facts about The White Family: I, "mama" am a stay at home mom of two children my daughter who is 3yrs old and my son who will be 7 months on the 29th. I am a firm believer that kids should be raised in thier home and not hauled around town allday long running errands here and there. The only time that I leave the house on a regular bases is to take my Daughter to preschool on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. Then everyday at around 2-3 oclock I head to our farm to feed our three mama cows and one pig. Our farm is about 11 acres. My husband is a Railroader so he does not have a schedule and is gone for two or more days at a time and comes and goes at all hours day or night. We currently own two Minature Schnauzers a 6 yr old spayed female who is 100% my husbands dog, and a 10yr old intaked Male who loves anyone who is willing to give him attention. I do have a large mixed breed male who is still living at my moms house where he has been since we got him as a pup. We tried to move him with me when my husband and I moved into our house a yr ago but he was not his happy self, so he is now at my moms happy as he can be with "his" horses. My hobby is showing my horse, granted now that I have my kiddos i dont get to ride as much as I use to but when I can I go to my moms to ride.

Now the biggest question I have is the age of my children. Is any age ok with a doberman or which age is best. My daughter is excellent with our two dogs now and my son shows to be very tolerant of their playful rants thru the house, even when they colide and fall on top of him or knock him over now that he is trying to crawl and follow them.

I have done obidence classes in the past with my other dogs so training I dont beleive will be an issue with a pup, along with the excersie aspect because of my daily tripps to the farm and our large back yard (granted being a country girl I would prefer larger) lol

I apologize for the length, but any advice would be great. Thank you to all!!!

Amanda, Tyler, Lexee and Marcus.

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
Well, my first reaction is to your statement that you don't leave the house much. Without great socialization, Dobermans can become timid and shy, or fear aggressive. It takes a lot of interaction with all kinds of people in all kinds of places to have a well adjusted, happy dog. So I would be a bit concerned about that.

Dobermans can and do live very successfully with children, provided you are careful in selecting the right puppy (or rescue dog), and supervise the kids and dog at all times.

I'm a big fan of taking regular classes with your dog. While it is certainly possible to train on your own, you miss out on the opportunity to work with your dog in a more distracting environment, exposure her to other dogs and people, etc. I also find training classes to be a great way to build a bond.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
As meadowcat pointed out, socializing is a huge part in getting your dobermann comfortable, and to build great confidence.

Having a large back yard to play around in is great, but should be used as a treat and not used as 'exercise', Dobermans are high on the energy level and would flourish if taken to classes, go hiking, swimming, biking, dog friendly buildings, agility, obedience, and many more activities. If you don't challenge them mentally and physically, you may find your Doberman making up games in the house such as 'let's chew everything within reach!'.

You have two small dogs, Dobermans can be quite rough when playing, will you be crate training your pup? There are many people on this forum with dobes and small dogs living together, they can help you with that :)

Are you prepared to give your dobe health tests throughout it's life? They are prone to many diseases and catching them early is crucial.

They are a lot of dog, and demand quite a bit of your time and effort, but it is well worth it. They are cuddly, great with children (granted they are trained properly), lovable, funny, goofy, regal, loyal, fearless, and a great exercise partner :)

Please do your research and find a reputable breeder, as this plays a huge roll in their longevity, temperament, and health.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you meadow cat. Im sorry that I made it sound like Im a recluse. We do go to a lot of places, I was just saying that we prefer to be at home then to be away from our house and that was to say that the dog i would be getting would not be left at home alone for long periods of time. sorry for the confusion sometimes my choice of words get me in to trouble. I do agree with you on entering classes verses at home training, my statement there is that I would not be going into the training aspect of the breed blindly. again sorry for the misuse of words.

one more question that I seem to be getting answers from both sides. Do Dobermans get along well with other dogs same sex or other wise, now dont get me wrong our male is not nuetered and my husband doesnt plan on it so we would be looking for a female, but my question is then would there be an issue with the girls if we brought a dober girl into our home. Our current lady of the house has lived with 7 other dogs both male and female with no issues besides the little squable over beds, meaning the look of hey thats may bed move please, ok you dont want to move? well then ill just lay on top of you until you do move kinda of thing. Granted they were miniature schnauzers not dobermans.

thankyou for your input again.

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
Forgot to mention - Doberman puppies are exhausting, and a ton of work. I wouldn't personally want to do it with young children also needing your time, but some people here on DT have been successful in doing it.

As DogsR4Life says, finding a great, ethical breeder is critical. The right breeder can select a puppy that matches your lifestyle.

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
Thank you meadow cat. Im sorry that I made it sound like Im a recluse. We do go to a lot of places, I was just saying that we prefer to be at home then to be away from our house and that was to say that the dog i would be getting would not be left at home alone for long periods of time. sorry for the confusion sometimes my choice of words get me in to trouble. I do agree with you on entering classes verses at home training, my statement there is that I would not be going into the training aspect of the breed blindly. again sorry for the misuse of words.

one more question that I seem to be getting answers from both sides. Do Dobermans get along well with other dogs same sex or other wise, now dont get me wrong our male is not nuetered and my husband doesnt plan on it so we would be looking for a female, but my question is then would there be an issue with the girls if we brought a dober girl into our home. Our current lady of the house has lived with 7 other dogs both male and female with no issues besides the little squable over beds, meaning the look of hey thats may bed move please, ok you dont want to move? well then ill just lay on top of you until you do move kinda of thing. Granted they were miniature schnauzers not dobermans.

thankyou for your input again.
Same sex aggression is common in the breed. I think we see it more in males, but it certainly happens with females, too. My bitch generally does not care for other girls. She couldn't live with one, most likely, unless there was a really good mesh of personalities. She does have doggie friends that are girls, but it's quite different when they live together.

My bigger worry would be keeping the small dogs safe. Most Dobermans play really rough, and small dogs can be hurt unintentionally. Many small dogs do not appreciate the play style of Dobermans, either, so it can require a lot of management to keep everyone safe and happy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dogs4life- yes the dog will be crate trained our current dogs are and it because such an asset at times.

Yes our current dogs go for physicals once a year and any other time that they seem to be acting not like them selves. We tell people we dont have two kids we have 4. our dogs our like family to us.

Thankyou everyone for you input.

·
joie de vivre
11,272 Posts
Same sex aggression is common in the breed. I think we see it more in males, but it certainly happens with females, too. My bitch generally does not care for other girls. She couldn't live with one, most likely, unless there was a really good mesh of personalities. She does have doggie friends that are girls, but it's quite different when they live together.
I just want to reiterate this point. My girls live together pretty darn well at this point but there were some definite growing pains and bumps in the road between them along the way to Fiona maturing. A good breeder will help you pick a good personality to pair with your current dogs. My girls are able to co-exist peaceably because Tali is such a little peacekeeper; she doesn't challenge Fiona, she doesn't get in her way, she's happy as pie to let Fiona do whatever she wants. Tali just wants to wiggle and cuddle. And Fiona has settled comfortably into the role of running the show - that's all she wants. There are few other female dogs Fiona tolerates and far fewer she could live with without being crated and rotated. So you really need to consider your current dog's personality and be honest with any breeders about it.

I would also point out that you're probably going to have a hard time getting a female Dobe pup from a good, ethical breeder when you have an intact male dog in your home that you refuse to neuter. That will call into question whether or not they can trust you to A) spay the pup they sell you since you don't spay/neuter the dogs you already have, and B) not eventually breed the pup they sell you - whether on purpose or accident given the intact male you have.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I actually see a lot of similiarities in our lives, so I will give you my opinion. I'm a stay at home mom as well. My husband works overseas so for the time being, I'm a single mom. I have two young boys...a 4 year old and a 22 month old. My in-laws who visit us often have two mini schnauzers..a male and a female (both fixed). Now...as to your questions.
Yes, dobes are great with kids. With that said, they are BIG and although they are sweet, my guy is bad about getting excited and whipping himself in a huge circle, knocking down a kid in the process. My 4 year old doesn't mind it, but I do have to be careful with my youngest. He's a bit more sensitive and doesn't like being ran over by a 75 lb. doberman puppy. We are working with Gunner on his manners, but be warned....doberman puppies are pretty high energy at times. They don't realize how huge they are either. I've never seen any aggression at all towards my kids and he is VERY protective of them, but sometimes his size does cause concerns.
As for your schnauzers, in my personal experience, my in-laws schnauzers don't like my doberman. He is fine with them, but they are wild and a bit out of control and the male tries to go after Gunner every time. The female is shy and runs from him. Dobermans play ROUGH and when Gunner tries to play, they get intimidated. I would be VERY concerned about a small dog being hurt with a young doberman. I know some people have small dogs and dobes and do great. Personally, I wouldn't risk it.
I love my doberman and wouldn't change a thing. But with two young kids, it's is a lot of work. He has to be walked daily and is pretty needy so it adds one more thing to my already full plate. It's totally worth it to me, but I can see how some people could be come overwhelmed and the dog could suffer for it. Just ask yourself how badly you want this and be realistic with your expectations. Good luck in whatever you decide and welcome to the forum :)

·
Take my Dobe, please!
2,566 Posts
Considering you have an intact male dog*, a spayed female dog and a 7-month old child, my advice would be to adopt an adult spayed female Dobe that is known to be good with small dogs and very young children.

You can check with a Dobe rescue or with breeders to see if they have an adult spayed Dobe needing a new home. Ethical breeders will take back their dogs if the owner's circumstances no longer let them keep the dog (for example, death/illness, lost their job).

Web site for Doberman Rescue of New Mexico. If you're not 100% sure the Doberman is the right breed for you, you can try fostering one to see if the "fit" is right.

Best wishes for a successful DoberSearch.:wavey:

----------------------------
*Bear in mind that rescue groups and ethical breeders will want to know why your resident male dog is still intact.

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
Also, some rescue groups will not adopt to families with young children. I think KenyaARaine's advice to get involved with a rescue group is great. That's a nice way to actually meet some Dobermans and get a better feel for the breed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a dobe obviously and 4.5lb Pomeranian, both females... They get along great, but the Pom(cocoa)will put Ray right in her place at times lol.. Ray thinks she's the same size as the Pom do she'll try to cuddle or lay with the Pom and ends up laying on her etc. so you'll have to watch little things like that. My dobe and my 3year old son are best friends! Granted we never leave them alone or unsupervised but they grew up together and for some reason Ray is more careful with him. Has she accidentally knocked him down? Ya.. But he survived and all is well. I'd just be careful of the hyper/occasionally rough dobe around the smaller kids and dogs and socialize your dog and train him/her well. Just use common sense and a little bit of insight and you'll be just fine.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a 13 week old puppy. Tons of work. I couldnt imagine having a small child and a puppy. I think the advice of an older rescue dog is probably a better bet for you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thankyou to everyone again. as to the situation with our male dog being intaked I have asked and asked my husband as to why he does not want him neutered and the answer I get is that his mom may want to use him again for breeding.. as to any new dog we bring in they will be spayed/neutered and this for me is not negotiable. I have had my experience with an accedental breeding and it WILL NOT happen again if I have anything to do with it.

·
Take my Dobe, please!
2,566 Posts

·
joie de vivre
11,272 Posts
A poorly planned litter orchestrated by uneducated owners is no better than an accidental litter.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I totally agree with you on the fact that she needs to do more research before she diecides to use him as income again. but thats a whole different debate that can go on for days and days and days. i have state to them both my opion about it and that all i can do.
:mad:

Reactions: Sherryh

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
OP, it sounds like your intentions are good. I would definitely look at getting an older puppy if an adult rescue isn't an option. Like some other members have already pointed out, rescues often won't adopt out to families who have young kids. Gunner was 14 weeks when I got him, and it was perfect. His ears were already cropped, he was already housetrained (for the most part), and he was old enough to handle the rough kid play. I would look at an older puppy or a young adult as the best choice. Personally, without kids I would have chosen a laid back senior....but I know that with my crazy household, a younger dog was better suited :)

·
Censored
716 Posts
I'm a grammar and spelling nut and just have to say that it is "intact" when referring to an un-neutered male. Sorry, sorry... I'm not trying to pick on you, I just had to say it. Sorry.

Now onto the OP's questions: I personally think having a 7 month old baby and a doberman pup would be difficult. I wouldn't / couldn't do it. They're very high energy, clumsy and are pre-disposed to getting "zoomies" in which they run around in an absolutely crazy fashion usually resulting in people plastering themselves against the wall in order to avoid being crashed into. Not to mention the puppy teeth... of course that comes with any puppy but still something to consider.
I think it is wonderful that you have so much space but dobes won't go out and exercise themselves. They want to be with their people and want their people to play with them. My current dobe had a schnauzer friend when we lived in LA and she essentially tolerated him.
If you are patient and work with a good, reputable breeder you can probably pull it off. By the time you find your pup maybe your 7 month old will be older and it won't be as much of a concern :)
Dobes really are a lot of work. They are completely worth it but are intelligent, high energy and expensive (health/nutrition wise). Need a lot of stimulation, socialization and training. Not to mention they are stubborn but equally sensitive.
My best advice would be to find a reputable breeder in your area that you can get to know, stick around DT and read as much as you can, consider rescuing an older female who is already spayed and known to be good around children and small dogs and most of all, be patient.
Good luck!

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I have the female terrier, Tippy and Kyrah, dobe, is a female. They have had their bumpy road. Tippy has always been somewhat bossy and the queen of her house. Bringing Kyrah in I really didnt think of female/female issues. But should have.

I noticed some different behaviors when Kyrah reached around 15 months. The first squabble Tippy & Kyrah were going after each other with the same intensity. The next fight was not a pleasant one and if I had gotten there a second earlier I could have prevented it...I could see it was about to happen...I just wasnt fast enough. :( Seeing Kyrah have Tippy by the back of the shoulders trying to shake her like a rag doll was not something I ever want to see again. It was a rough few weeks after that. They are tolerant of each other and actually lately Kyrah jumps on the couch next to her and Tippy doesnt get up and leave. They lay there together. :) But I never let my guard down. I am always watchful of their behavior and they are separated when I am not home. So that is something you should be aware of. If there are issues it is something you will have to deal with. Either being ever so watchful and I mean watchful anything can happen in a second and with small children that can be hard. Or it could go to the crating and rotating. Which I am so thankful that I do not have to do.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts