Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been feeding our boy a raw diet for 2 1/2 years now but are considering switching to canned food if we can find one of sufficiently high quality. I've been doing some reading online and I can't find anything that beats the reputation of Newman's Own Organic. Nature's Variety seems to be as good, but it's significant;y more expensive.

Has anyone else done this research and come to the same or a different conclusion about Newman's Own Organic canned food?

Thanks in advance for any advice -
Steve

·
Registered
100 Posts
What are the ingredients for their canned food? I actually recently bought some Costco canned dog food which, as far as I can tell, doesn't have any grains. It's got some filler ingredients (but what commercial pet food doesn't) but still not grain. It's not advertised as being grain-free though, so I'm not sure what to make of that. And note, they do have canned food that does have grain (lamb and rice or something), but this is a different one. I have no idea of Newman's Own reputation compared to Costco though! In general, my impression is that Costco has pretty high/decent quality for their branded products. :)

I kind of feel like raw can be less expensive but so much more time consuming!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cost factor alone may keep us feeding raw. We'd have to give Marco 5 cans a day. At that volume, Nature's Variety, at $4.25 a can would cost over $26 a day. Newman's Own would be about $15 a day. Right now, we're probably spending about $5-$6 a day feeding raw...so it's a difficult argument to make for switching!

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I'm curious - I always view Raw as the best diet if you can manage it so why are you looking to switch?

As for the brand - I've actually not heard of Newman's Own but it may just not be common in my area of the world.

·
joie de vivre
11,315 Posts
I wouldn't feed a dog strictly canned food unless I were just totally in love with the idea scraping up lots and lots of diarrhea patties out of my backyard rather picking up a few small nicely formed poops.

And, I wouldn't pick Newman's Own as a first line food to try feeding anyway - kibble or canned. It doesn't look like a terrible food but, the formulas I've seen, have a LOT of grains. So you'd be going from a grain free diet to a food composed almost entirely of grains. I bet you'd see a difference in coat, skin, eyes, sinuses, and poops of your dogs. I bet they'd also start drinking a ton of water compared to what they likely drink now.

·
Registered
874 Posts
If you can't find any food that doesn't beat their reputation I'd say you didn't bother looking past their own web page lol.

I'm curious as to why you'd go from raw to grains. It's not the worst food but why downgrade the diet?

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
100 Posts
The cost factor alone may keep us feeding raw. We'd have to give Marco 5 cans a day. At that volume, Nature's Variety, at $4.25 a can would cost over $26 a day. Newman's Own would be about $15 a day. Right now, we're probably spending about $5-$6 a day feeding raw...so it's a difficult argument to make for switching!
If that's based on what it says on the can, I wouldn't trust it entirely. I find that people tend to overfeed their pets because they follow the guidelines on the pet food labels. For example, certain dog foods (kibble) might recommend 4+ cups per day for my dog. When I feed kibble, I tend to stick with 2 cups a day, no matter what kibble (I switch between grain-free brands often - I used to feed raw but haven't got back to it yet...meat is expensive in MT!). Same with my cats, I feed probably half the recommended amount. All of my animals are lean and trim; my vet says he has no problems with any of them.

Therefore, if you do switch to canned, it might be less than you're thinking. But if you can feed raw easily and expensively, why switch? ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The thought of possibly switching arose when we moved to a new apartment; we can't feed outside anymore, and Marco tends to cover a wider area with his food than we might like. But it's hard to beat the raw diet and he is so healthy and looks so great as a result; I think we'll probably just stay with raw and get used to a ilttle more clean up time.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
The thought of possibly switching arose when we moved to a new apartment; we can't feed outside anymore, and Marco tends to cover a wider area with his food than we might like. But it's hard to beat the raw diet and he is so healthy and looks so great as a result; I think we'll probably just stay with raw and get used to a ilttle more clean up time.
look into dehydrated raw as an alternative. I keep some in the fridge for treats or just in case. Or feed in a crate

·
Broadway Dobermans
846 Posts

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
then feed him in a crate, on a primo pad. Makes cleanup a breeze!

Primo pads: Vinyl dog floor protection pads- Primo Pads

·
Broadway Dobermans
846 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well if that's your main problem! :) When I fed raw, I taught my dogs to only eat on a towel/rug. In the beginning, you have to watch and move/make sure the meat stays on the towel, but they pick it up pretty darn fast. Another easy way is to tether so they can't go anywhere with it. Oh and other people feed their dogs in the bath tub. :) I prefer the towel/rug the best.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I usually feed Bentley ground premade raw but occasionally I give him a hunkk of meat with bone. He gets those outside or in his crate without a blanket. Once he's done, I pull the tray out and sanitize it in the bathroom tub

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
I use feeding mats also and just have to clean the mats and my preparation surfaces, which I have to do anyway when I prepare meats for the humans. I may occasionally have to clean around the mats of one gets sloppy and I'm not watching close enough, but just use that as an excuse to wash the whole floor. The only things they eat outside are bloody things, the rest are all inside.

I could never afford to feed mine canned food. I was out of dog food one night and needed my brand of cat litter. I only wanted to make 1 stop that night before going home so I had to choose, dog food and grocery store brand cat litter or good cat litter and grab something from the pet store for the dogs. I chose the cat litter and bought them a grain free dog canned food. I fed them half the recommended amount since it was only a single evening meal until I went to the grocery store the next day. Nobody slept that night. The dogs had diarrhea all night long and gurgly stomachs and I paid almost 20 dollars for that meal!! They could have had a treat lamb meal for that price. I will never feed my dogs dog food again!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts