Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start from the beginning. My Stella just turned 1 year old and is a female blue doberman, spayed if it matters. A couple months after we got her home, she had some issues with foods and keeping certain things down. She was originally fed Iams but we switched to Innova food and treats. Maybe a month after starting the Innova she would sometimes get soft stools and she would have bad gas, side effects I read about with the Innova. It got kind of bad though, off an on. It doesn't help that nothing seems to agree with her. Frosty paws, generic dog food, certain treats, etc, they all give her running stools. Sometimes with the soft stool was some mucus, some days more than others and some days none at all. Sometimes this mucus was accompanied by a couple drops of bright red fluid, I am assuming blood. that would only happen once and then it wouldn't happen at all, maybe a month later. After a couple months of dealing with this thinking it was just the fact that she ate everything and was so quick at vacuuming it up (socks, peds, plastic flowers, carpet, walls, rocks, grass, etc) and it just wasn't agreeing with her, we switched her over to Canidae food and treats. Almost instantly her stools became normal. No mucus no blood. maybe a month ago we started giving her some fish oil supplements to help with her coat. She has a very thin coat that is coarse. She eats them down no problem and so far I think her coat does seem to be a little better. So now she has been on this Canidae for 2 months or so and back is coming the mucus, today was real bad. She went 3 times, one HUGE stool with a gob of mucus and one small with a couple drops of red. She then proceeded to throw up twice, something my parents told me she did last week while they were watching her but had not done since. They told me she ate nothing out of the oridinary and she certainly hasn't with us. The last 2 days she has been reluctant to eat, although she has eaten. She has no problem with treats though. She is as playful as ever too. She has been somewhat lethargic due to the 100+ heat here in NJ but we keep her in the bedroom which is air conditioned while we are at work.

I just don't know where to look next. Is this normal? Does she just have a super sensitive stomach? Could she be sick? Is ther possibly something else going on? Any help is appreciated.

thanks, Rich

·
Registered
602 Posts
Sorry to hear.....

She definately seems sick. But the diagnosis is best determined by a vet. I would take her ASAP. It may be a virus or an infection. If you plan on taking her to the vet within 24 hours, I say don't give her anything to eat until then.

Good luck, please keep us posted.

Naveen

·
Extraordimary
4,965 Posts
Has she been checked for giardia? Giardia can cause mucous-y stools. It's usually picked up by drinking standing or stagnant water. I'd run a stool sample into the vet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not recently but every vet visit I bring a stool sample and she is always OK. I am skeptical about going to the vet only because every time I have, they say she is fine, keep an eye on her. So that being said, anyone in northern NJ recommend a good vet for Dobermans?

As far as the mucousy stool, I am willing to bet money it is fine for another week to a month. Could giardia cause musousy stool, sometimes/rarely? Anything else it may sound like? I am sure the vet will check these things but I want to educate myself as well.

Thanks again!
Rich

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Poor Stella! Java went through something similar this spring. I noticed mucus and blood in the stool as well. Vet recommended I bring in a fresh stool sample and she was put on antibiotics and fed a diet of brown rice w/ a bit of plain yogurt and 1/2 a small banana (mashed) twice a day until the meds kicked in and things 'firmed up'. I noticed a huge difference within four days.

The hot weather will suppress appetite, but making sure that she is drinking her water is more important than forcing her to eat when your girl is suffering from diarrhea.

I am sure that when the vet's office learns that there is blood in the stool you will be able to get an appointment asap. Good luck! I'm in Morris County and have just about had it with this heat!

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Me again - I use Madison Vet Hospital in Madison, NJ 973-377-1515 - great group practice. Dr Day recently lost her Dobe and have seen photos of Dobe patients in the office. Have had good experience with all of the vets there - Java has been a patient since day one (now 15 mos). Decent boarding facility - no outdoor run, but should there be a problem when we board her there, her vet is on call.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She is drinking plenty of water on her own and we change it out for frsh cold water every hour since our house has no AC (except for our bedroom) and hovers around 88 degrees! She also eats, but is hesitant to do so. I was figuring it might be the weather, regarding her appetite. And also, she does not have diarrhea. just lots of mucus. that is what is throwing me off. Her stool is perfect except for it being full of mucus and those drops of blood with one of the three she did for lunch.

I actually just got off the phone with the vet and after speaking with one of the doctors, they said to keep an eye on her. Unfortunately, unless it is an emergency, the next available appointment is Monday at 11AM. The said to watch her tonight, see how she is and how her stool is and everything and if it is better, Monday, if it is the same or worse, call back in the morning and they will make room for me. We go to the Animal Clinic of Morris Plains, but only see Dr. Powell. Great man, great vet. I am not too impressed with the other vets there except for one other whose name escapes me at the moment.

I have had it with this heat as well. I am looking forward to the weekend though... as long as they don't extend the heat wave some more!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
My first thought was also Giardia - but from what I remember (it was a cool 10 years ago) when I went through it with my dogs, it was constant, mucusy diahrea with a bit of blood and oh the smell. It wouldn't hurt to have her checked none the less.
It could be any number of things and I if one vet hasn't found anything, maybe it wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion...

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
hmmm Im afraid I can't help much I just hope everything is okay or that she gets better.
Duchess occassionally will have mucousy poop...looks kinda like a membrane I call it...no blood...and now there not so mucousy...but they are still soft...Should I be worried too?

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Maybe it's the food. It seemed to clear up for awhile when you switched her diet. If the vet gives her the all clear for anything else maybe you should try another food. There are some good foods that only have a view ingredients in them, made for dogs with allergies. Have you tried any of the homemade diets? Maybe the grains are not agreeing with her.
I would also talk to your vet again, and maybe have some more tests run. Good luck!

·
Registered
986 Posts
I am confused...perhaps I missed something here. Stella has mucous and blood in her stool, and you take a fresh sample to the vet, and the vet says everything's ok? Then what exactly are they testing the stool sample for? What vet would say blood in the stool is ok? Are they saying they don't find blood in the stool? Please pardon me if I've misunderstood but perhaps someone could clear this up for me. I could be assuming too much.

·
Registered
880 Posts
You mentioned that she likes to eat objects like socks. Does she eat sticks? That's the only culrprit I could thinkg of that could cause such poops here and there with no real pattern. Can you be certain that she didn't eat anything foreign to cause this?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
When I say drops of blood, it is just that. I see a drop of bright red come out with it all. As soon as that hits the ground, the blood is not noticeable. The mucus is another story, there can be a lot of that. As far as what they test the sample for I have no idea but I did bring the mucus filled stool to the vet this morning and am waiting a call back on the results.

I cannot be 100% sure she didn't eat anything foreign but from what I have seen from watching her, she did not. However, I was speaking to my mom last night and she mentioned she ate a hole in her carpet while she watched her this past weekend. Could have been all the strands I found in her poop on Monday. Other than that, nothing I can tell.

Zucker, when I say she eats everything, I mean she eats EVERYTHING. If it can be put in her mouth, she does so. I swear she is one day going to think her name is "no". She tries to put everything in her mouth, or at least investigates it if she sees me watching. A quick "no" will stop her, but only for that particular object. We are pretty good with watching her though regarding what she attempts to eat. We learned she cannot be left alone for 1 second very early on.

Update on Stella is she seems fine. Last night she was her usual rambunctious self. Very playful, curious, crazy with neverending energy. She pooped her normal time and it appeared normal as well. Same thing this morning. By all appearances, she seems normal. I still have my appointment scheduled for Monday, I am still keeping an eye on her and I am also going to arrange a visit with a more Dober-savvy vet from here and the bluedobes Yahoo list when I return from NC next weekend, for peace of mind and to have her looked over by someone more in the know than a regular vet office. maybe they can shed some light on not only this issue but why her coat is so thin and for good advice in general.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Stella's mom the bad thing about dogs who eat everything, sometimes they never grow out of it. Gadget (he was 4) my red male who passed last year due to bone cancer was "eat everything" guy. He had 2 major bowel surgeries. Scary scary. I am glad she seems to be doing better!!!

·
Premium Member
10,405 Posts
Stella's mom--there are a bunch of things that can and do cause diarrhea in dogs--including diarrhea with blood, formed stools with a lot of mucous and every other variation from normal stools that you can think of.

Some of the causes can be innocuous--like too much food, or having gotten into food that they aren't used to. But the fact that this is on-going is worrisome.

Ask your vet what kind of tests they are doing on the fecal matter. Giardia has a special test and the standard test reagents will actually destroy the giardia so it isn't found. At least they should be doing a comprehensive. The most common test is just a fecal float--about all you find are worm eggs with that one. Some of the symptoms you are talking about sound all too much like Irritable Bowel Syndrome. For a dog who is inclined to eat everything that's not real good news since the bowel irritation is greatly aggravated by eating inappropriate things. At least part of the control for Irritable Bowel Syndrome and the even more serious Irritable Bowel Disease is limited diet--which someone else mentioned.

The thin coat can be just a by product of her color. Since blue is a dilution color a lot of dilute dogs have CDA, have problems with strep and generally not great skin. There is a blue dobe site that has been mentioned in other posts on these forums or you can find it through Google. Jim Anable is a Seattle attorney who has had blue Dobes all of his adult life and has some excellent tips on how to maintain a good coat on a blue (or fawn--works for either dilute color).

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Java would put almost everything into her mouth as well. Not sure if it's maturity (15 mos) or really working the 'leave it' command, but she no longer tries to snatch everything in sight.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts