Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girl has just turned 5 months old, she was the runt of the litter so I dont expect her to be huge but she only weighs around 10kg/22lbs,which seems very small to me (although this is the 1st dobe i have owned). She does suffer from chronic diarrhea and has done pretty much since i've owned her (from 9weeks). Regarding the diarrhea she has been to the vets many times and has had stool sample testing, full blood count, numerous physical examinations, shots and antibiotics. After all tests coming back as negative and a lot of food trials (ruling out alleries/intolerences) the vet has suggested that she is suffering from SIBO and is due to start a long course of antibiotics and vit b12 shots. Could this be the reason why she is so small? Every vet visit she has been weighed and she is putting weight on, the vet doesnt seem to think there is any problems with her weight/growth, but im not sure. Also has anybody else experienced any similar problems with their dogs regarding the diarrhea, she also seems to shiver and curl up quite often, i think this is due to stomach pain?? Other than that she seems very happy and healthy. I would be grateful of any advice. Thanks :)

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Gosh, that's worrisome.

Yes, she is smaller, but the more concerning issue is the chronic diarrhea, which thankfully you are addressing and trying to solve.

In all the testing your vet has done, have they been able to definitively rule out Giardia?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Our pup was 7lbs at 8 weeks when we brought him home from the rescue. He had severe diarrhea and was super thin. Vet put him on antibiotics, did a parvo and a 2nd worm test. Negative on both. The antibiotics may have done the trick as within a day he was doing better and rapidly putting on weight. He was catching up putting on as much as .7lbs per day at one point. He is right at "average" now, 68lbs at 6months 3.7weeks old. Once you figure out the diarrhea problem her genetics should kick in and she'll gain weight. I'm no expert but we have had great luck with Natural Balance which is grain free with our American Bulldog. Completely eliminated her allergies when we switched to it from Pedigree. The pup has been eating the Costco Brand Puppy food until 6 months old. He grew rapidly on this. 28% protein. Now switching him to Natural Balance. Less protein but less waste also. Used by the body much more completely. (Fewer poops!)

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
My girl has just turned 5 months old, she was the runt of the litter so I dont expect her to be huge but she only weighs around 10kg/22lbs,which seems very small to me......the vet has suggested that she is suffering from SIBO and is due to start a long course of antibiotics and vit b12 shots. Could this be the reason why she is so small? Every vet visit she has been weighed and she is putting weight on, the vet doesnt seem to think there is any problems with her weight/growth, but im not sure. Also has anybody else experienced any similar problems with their dogs regarding the diarrhea, she also seems to shiver and curl up quite often, i think this is due to stomach pain?? Other than that she seems very happy and healthy. I would be grateful of any advice. Thanks :)

I don't know how much research you have done on the SIBO (I just looked now) but here is a link to one of many sites. From the very beginning of the reading it seems pretty clear that it if that is what she has that would explain her yes! small size Despite the fact that she is indeed still growing and gaining weight, With all of the chronic dhiarrea, she is having a hard time absorbing the necessary nutrients and therefore keeping weight and growing properly.
I hope you are able to get your poor baby well soon so that she can grow up happy and healthy!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gosh, that's worrisome.

Yes, she is smaller, but the more concerning issue is the chronic diarrhea, which thankfully you are addressing and trying to solve.

In all the testing your vet has done, have they been able to definitively rule out Giardia?
Thank you for your reply, yes the stool sample testing that was carried out was apparently very extensive and she seemed certain that something would come back to be able to give a diagnosis. So when it came back negative it was quite a shock, then she suggested that it could be EPI, full blood count came back negative too, so no EPI or liver, kidney problems etc. That was a relief but at the same time frustrating as we still did not know what was wrong with her. As I said the vet then said that given the testing and results SIBO was the most likely diagnosis. So i am going to the vet tomorrow to pick up her month's worth of antibiotics...fingers crossed!!!! I feel so sorry for my poor pup and its very stressful as she often has accidents too, i just really want her to get better quickly!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Our pup was 7lbs at 8 weeks when we brought him home from the rescue. He had severe diarrhea and was super thin. Vet put him on antibiotics, did a parvo and a 2nd worm test. Negative on both. The antibiotics may have done the trick as within a day he was doing better and rapidly putting on weight. He was catching up putting on as much as .7lbs per day at one point. He is right at "average" now, 68lbs at 6months 3.7weeks old. Once you figure out the diarrhea problem her genetics should kick in and she'll gain weight. I'm no expert but we have had great luck with Natural Balance which is grain free with our American Bulldog. Completely eliminated her allergies when we switched to it from Pedigree. The pup has been eating the Costco Brand Puppy food until 6 months old. He grew rapidly on this. 28% protein. Now switching him to Natural Balance. Less protein but less waste also. Used by the body much more completely. (Fewer poops!)
Thank you for your advice, fingers crossed the antibiotics will work for my baby too. I have just started her on Royal Canin Junior, which was recommended to me as it has a digestive guarantee. Just spent 19 pounds on a 3kg bag :rolleyesww: so i will give it a few weeks and see how it goes, but i have not tried Natural Balance so if no look with the royal canin I will certainly try it! Thank you :)

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Thank you for your advice, fingers crossed the antibiotics will work for my baby too. I have just started her on Royal Canin Junior, which was recommended to me as it has a digestive guarantee. Just spent 19 pounds on a 3kg bag :rolleyesww: so i will give it a few weeks and see how it goes, but i have not tried Natural Balance so if no look with the royal canin I will certainly try it! Thank you :)
Good luck! Especially with the food, I know that prescription stuff can be quite pricey! Idk if your vet has it but Hills also makes a canned Low residue called d/d that is egg and rice and helpful for dogs with digestive issues.....just a thought and good luck to your little girl!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Ok... so this is random but do you give your pup rawhides? They caused a pup I had years ago no end of grief and it took ages to figure out that it was the rawhides causing the issue... chronic diarrhea is such a frustrating thing to deal with I hope you guys figure out the problem and your pup gets better!

·
We Serve the Doberman
900 Posts
And I keep reading that canned pumpkin (organic, preferably) added to the food makes a huge difference in firming up that problem.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
When I see the Sandman tonight, I will put in a good word at the rainbow bridge. I have a few Dog Saints there and get them to bark a few prayers for your girl.
I hope you find a solution for your girl.
Try this snack:
Rolled oats, blueberries, bananas and plain yogurt.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Do you know anything about the size and health etc of her pedigree? That might give you some insight also.

Reactions: GingerGunlock
1 - 11 of 11 Posts