Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

What a great forum. I have a 10 month old intact male. Hes only 67.5 lbs though. He has been fed high quality puppy kibble from the start and really nothing else. Just want to know if hes underweight. Vet says hes in great shape, but, i feel like hes soo small for a 10 month old male. But, he is my first dobe.

Any input would be appreciated

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Here is another thread on the matter, but every Dobe varies. It can be hard to tell you if he is underweight or not with just pics as the pics can be a little deceiving. I would suggest if you are really worried about it take him to another vet and get a second opinion. Or maybe even see if there is a pet nutritionist in your area.

http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/7658-growth-chart-puppy-weight-height.html

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
You can't compare him to any other dogs, you have to look at him and decide if his weight is good for HIS frame. My male is 2 and only about 78#. Recently people keep commenting on how big he got...he has actually lost weight, last Summer he was 84#. He has much more muscle mass now then he did then. He gets a ton more exercise. A healthy fit dog should be your goal, don't worry what the scale says.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I'd go with what the vet says :) if the ribs arnt clearly visible then nothing to worry about really.

How about posting some pics of him? :)

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Sounds like he's probably a fine weight. A picture would be more telling, however.

Can you see the last one or two ribs? Can you see spine? Can you see hip bones?
I personally like to be able to see a hint of the last two ribs (some people just like to be able to easily feel them), I like when I can feel the spine if I"m looking for it. HOwever, if you can easily see spine and hip bones then yes, he's underweight.

·
Registered
262 Posts
How tall is he? Does he have a good appetite? Does he have a good energy level?
Willy only weights 74 lbs but is in great shape, has a great appetite and an energy level
like the energizer bunny. I would go with what your vet says but if it really bothers you
then go get another opinion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow. This forum is great. you are all SO HELPFUL. I will try to get a pic up soon. I am a lot less worried now. he seems perfect. I was just worried hearing all these 80 lb boys during 8 months and i have this little runt ;) lol...

thanks again you all are the best

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Every animal grows at a different rate. You just have to find a good weight for YOUR dog :)

Here's a good chart:

Ohio State University's College of Veterinary Medicine has good side and overhead body scoring charts for dogs AND cats:

1 = Emaciated
Ribs, lumbar vertebrae, pelvic bones and all body prominences evident from a distance. No discernible body fat. Obvious absence of muscle mass.

2 = Thin
Ribs easily palpated and may be visible with no palpable fat. Tops of lumbar vertebrae visible. Pelvic bones less prominent. Obvious waist and abdominal tuck.

3 = Moderate
Ribs palpable without excess fat covering. Abdomen tucked up when viewed from side.

4 = Stout
General fleshy appearance. Ribs palpable with difficulty. Noticeable fat deposits over lumbar spine and tail base. Abdominal tuck may be absent.

5 = Obese
Large fat deposits over chest, spine and tail base. Waist and abdominal tuck absent. Fat deposits on neck and limbs. Abdomen distended.

**All of the above is courtesy of Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine** Body Condition Scoring Chart | College of Veterinary Medicine

·
of Ferret Rock
1,674 Posts
My adult bitch is only about 58lbs. He definitely doesn't sound underweight to me!

Check out the body condition chart Abby has up in this thread:
http://www.dobermantalk.com/doberman-health/59590-your-dog-overweight.html

Side note fyi: he probably doesn't need puppy kibble, he should be fine to swap to adult food. In fact, a lot of dobe owenrs and breeders feed adult food starting much younger than 10months - some never use the puppy food at all. I can't speak from too much experience there though, - Delta was full-grown when I adopted her.

Reactions: Abby

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
I was worried about Lexi's weight as well even though she looked fine to me.

I've had a few people say "Feed your dog!" or "That's the skinniest dog I've ever seen"

judging by the chart I'd have to say she falls into the moderate category. Kudos for posting it!

·
Eat Poo and Die
2,193 Posts
If your vet says he's fine, then he's fine. My boy is 27.25" tall and 65lbs, and is very fit.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Indy is 27.5" and 72lbs.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I would refer to the chart posted above. Remember that dobes are a medium breed and should be lean and agile...not the heavy Rottweiler or other large breeds that many people make them out to be. He is also young, and has more growing to do. It is good to not have extra weight on a growing frame.

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
Wow. This forum is great. you are all SO HELPFUL. I will try to get a pic up soon. I am a lot less worried now. he seems perfect. I was just worried hearing all these 80 lb boys during 8 months and i have this little runt ;) lol...

thanks again you all are the best
You also have to remember that people often don't know how much their dogs weigh, my dog is 72lbs, 6yr old female, when I tell peoole she is only 70lbs, the reaction is usually...really?! I thought she was like 80/90lbs. As well you get these macho people, like the guy down my road with his american bulldog, the dog was about 60lbs, and I said to the guy oh is he going to filk out much more and of course the guy says oh ya, his dad is 120lbs... I bet the dad weighed about 100lbs lol. People just don't really know sometimes and it seems 80lbs is a nice number.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Whiskey is the same age as your pup almost and weighs almost exactly the same. He's 27-27.5 inches tall and has enough fat covering so his ribs are not prominent. I expect he'll fill out close to 72-74 lbs which is just fine by me.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Ohhh how I wish Huckle was only 72lbs. He will be 10 months tomorrow and is 86 lbs stands 30". His last two ribs are showing. Calamity looks like a miniature albino Doberman standing next to him (she is 72 lbs and 26"). His BYB told us after we got him when he was sick that his grandfather was 130 lbs, wish we would have known that before. It is what it is!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 18 of 18 Posts