Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pup Toro has been well socialized up to this point, with people and other dogs, and as such, has no issue with people coming up and petting him.

However, there are times when I wish he weren't so amicable - like when we're not home and the neighbor's kids try to hop the fence to retrieve balls or whatever. We have talked to their parents about keeping their kids out of our yard, as well as posting several "beware of dog" signs, but let's just say these people are severely lacking in parenting skills. We live next to an apt. complex, so there's lots of kids next door.

Of course, I don't want him to attack them, but at least give them some warning barks. What if there's a real intruder someday?

Will he develop a more protective nature as he gets older?

·
Banned
675 Posts
I think that for your dog's own safety you should not leave him out in the yard when you're not home. You're asking an awful lot of him to be able to discriminate to the point of barking at the kids but not following thru. If he does start getting territorial about them coming into the yard, it will escalate and there is a good chance someone will get bitten.

You refer to your dog as a pup, so maybe he's just too young to be a guard dog. But aside from that he is acting appropriately since the children are not "real" intruders. I'd be more scared that he's either going to nip one or their parents are going to get the idea that he's dangerous, and I'd keep the dog inside when I'm not home. For many reasons besides the fence hopping kids.

What if there is a real intruder? How much do you care if he gets as far as your yard? A dog inside the house is a deterrent to anyone trying to get into the house. not just the yard.

If he is only in the yard when you're home and the kids are coming over the fence anyway the best you can do is keep an eye on them. I had this situation once years ago and I did my best to scare the kids from continuing to come into the yard. But since they were usually after balls that had come over the fence I was pretty sure they'd continue coming into the yard when I wasn't there.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you make a good point, and I'd have no problem leaving him in the house, but I'm sure I'd come home to a big mess - unless I crated him all day, which I don't want to do. He has a dog house on the front porch, which is enclosed.

I let him in the house as soon as I get home and he sleeps in the house with us at night.

I'm open to any suggestions.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Get an ex-pen for him or two and hook them together for when you are at work.

Dont forget to put a top on it or he may jump out

·
Banned
675 Posts
Or crate him. Monte is crated while I'm at work, because like with your dog the house would be destroyed if he wasn't. But eventually most dogs mature to the point where they can be left loose in the house, it doesn't have to be forever. Crating isn't a perfect solution but I would rather crate him than worry about him being out in the yard. He's learned to love his bark right now and that would be a problem, plus possible kids hanging around the fence and sometimes dogs are stolen out of yards, it just makes me uncomfortable and so I take the best solution. You could try an expen as well but like the crate he has to be trained to stay in it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I understand why you might not feel right about crating him all day (and I don't know exactly how old your dobe is) but him being in the yard all day with young kids around (who have no problem jumping in _your_ yard) is a recipe for trouble. If not now, then in the future.

Why not use pen rather than a crate? I can't find the one I got but here's an example of what I'm talking about:

http://tinyurl.com/zfgma

The one I have is made of wire mesh, is about three foot tall and about six feet long. It only cost around $60 USD. I use a plastic tarp under a comforter for Karma because she's still a very young puppy at 9 weeks.

With him inside your house in a pen, Monte is protected from potential problem children yet still has room to play and have fun while you're gone.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
well, he's going on 5 months, and thanks, I will give the pen idea some consideration.

I should point out that he does sleep in a crate at night, and he goes into it on his own, but I feel that if I locked him in there all day, it may turn the crate into a negative thing for him.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sorry, didn't mean Monte, I meant Toro being inside. It's been a long morning, flooding in my area and even though I'm not terribly affected, I spent the morning shoveling mud, leaves and rocks to keep the water away from my house.

And to answer your question, yes most dogs do develop more assertiveness as they get older. I had a Rottie 15 or 20 years ago and he was a baby until he got to be around a year and a half. Then he became quite asserive. The transformation was simply amazing.

Interesting sentence structure in the above post. Oh, well I can't figure out a way to edit it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no problem Morrmar. Thank you for your input. How do y'all feel about a doggie door once he gets older and can be trusted in the house alone.

Is it a good idea?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Crating him during the day shouldn't turn the crate into a negative thig for him. My dogs are alwas crated when we're not home, for their safety and so the house isn't destroyed. They all love their crates. Ex pens work for some dogs, and for others, they don't. Tango jumps over them, Morgan scratches the floor trying to get out (which ruins the floor), Winston jumps over them after he's had enough of being it it. I love crates and would never, ever have a dog that wasn't crate trained. About the doggie door, I'd never get one for my dogs. You never know what could happen to your dog during the day while you aren't around to supervise him. I had a friend who had a doggie door and one day, she came home to a dead dog due to somebody poisoning her. This oesn't happen to everyone, and I'm not sure how common it is, but its not a risk I'm willing to take.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, I guess I can try crating him during the day when we're not home. I just have to make sure he "does his business" before I leave so he's not holding it all day.

Hopefully he will just sleep and relax. I really just want to do what's best for my dog and the household.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I would crate him. I have a hard time even leaving the dogs outside alone and Im home just not with them in the yard...so in the winter I atleast look out a window and watch them always. I think there are way to many things that can happen leaving them in the yard even if it is fenced in. The fact that kids are coming in and out of your yard increases the risk too. Not only is it dangerous with the heat...or the cold...but someone can leave the gate open...what IF he jumped the fence when he gets older...what if he is bored outside and desides to dig (which is caused often from boredom etc.) and get out...then what happens if he does get out of the yard...hit by a car...homeless with no food etc...and losing your best friend.
If you crate him the worst that he can do is whine and whine...but he will eventually calm down...and I agree that crating doesnt have to be a negative thing and SHOULD be done until they are old enough to roam the house without a problem.
please for the safety of Toro just crate him :) Its better safe then sorry :)

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Yay! I just saw your post! im so happy your going to crate him :) If you are worried about him having accidents in the crate...we blocked off the rest of the crate so he can only have room to get up and lay back down...but he cant walk to the other side of the crate...go poo or pee...and then walk back to the side where he was and lay back down :)

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Rebel73 said:
ok, I guess I can try crating him during the day when we're not home. I just have to make sure he "does his business" before I leave so he's not holding it all day.

Hopefully he will just sleep and relax. I really just want to do what's best for my dog and the household.
Rebel, crate training is how most people housebreak their dogs because when they only have a small area it is their nature to not use that small area to potty in. Unless the dog is very young it rarely happens. So I belive if you let Toro out before leaving he should be fine.

Give him something that he can entertain himself with while away, make sure it isn't something he can destroy and swallow while away, a kong with peanut butter is good, they will work on that for a long time trying to get the peanut butter out, he will nap, etc and be fine. I know you hate to do it but I agree with everyone else, the best thing for him is to have him safe when you aren't there.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
yes kongs with peanut butter or full of treats that are hard to get out can keep him busy till he calms down and sleeps while in the crate :)

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I agree with the crate idea. I crated all of my dogs and they still go in them when they want some time alone by themselves. It doesn't have to be a negative thing to them. I would rather not have them outside left unattended for unknown things to happen. Around here, there are alot of people stealing dogs and poisoning dogs behind fences. Especially puppies. So, I would rather not take the risk. At first, they were not too keen on the idea, lots of whining, but they learned to accept and love the safety of having their own haven.

You also mentioned the idea of intruders and having him bark at them. I personally would be more concerned with intruders in my house if I was not home and not in my yard. Most people would not enter if they heard a dog barking, but there are exceptions. :) I think he is too young for this yet though. Enjoy having a puppy. They grow up so fast.

·
Registered
273 Posts
My dogs have been crated while I'm at work their whole lives - none of them mind going into their crates. They each get a cookie each time they go in and they race to see who can be first.

I have one that's not trustworthy alone in the house and after a $1200 surgery to get a sock removed from her intestines, they are all crated for their own safety and my peace of mind.

I'd NEVER leave my dogs outside when I'm not home. A crate is only a negative thing if you make it that way.

I should point out that he does sleep in a crate at night, and he goes into it on his own, but I feel that if I locked him in there all day, it may turn the crate into a negative thing for him.[/quote]

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Not to be repetitive, but crate training is the best thing I ever done for me, my house, and my dogs. I tell them "Go get in your bed" and they run into it without a problem. If they are sleepy or just want to get away...they go into their crates, I leave the door open when I am home, so they can go into them any time they wish.

Before I had my dogs, I used to think it was mean to use a crate. I got talked into doing it with Piper and will never ever do it any other way. We always had dogs growing up and I remember it was always a constant battle for my mom about housebreaking, chewing...etc. I won't say the crate was a "miracle cure" but it made it SO much easier and FASTER to train them.

Also, with him outside, you never know what some jerk could throw over the fence that could poison him, or make him sick. If kids are jumping into your yard...who knows what they are doing.....I can just see some kid saying "look what I can do to this doberman" "I'm not afraid of him" and showing off for their friends, possibly poking, prodding, kicking, whatever....and now, you have this dog who is either terrified of kids, or wants to eat them. Once that damage is done, it seems its pretty hard to reverse. It never surprises me what kids will do to show off.

Good Luck :D

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
I too crate train as it was essential for Tia to feel comfortable in the crate or a bench at the shows,now Mischa is here we are back to putting it up in the house and when i tell Mischa to get in the bed and Tia gets in as well.The crate was a godsend to me i will never ever let any of my dogs know anything else till i know they can be trusted in the house.

·
Registered
255 Posts
While my dog will go in a crate if needed. We really dont or ever put him in one, but the simple fact of im a Homemaker. So I am able to be home ALL the time. Makes it so that we dont really need to do so. But I have heard this before, and many people agree and love the crate training. Never hurts to try it. Good Luck with your little guy!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts