Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, for the past few days iv'e been wondering if my new dobie Django is short or tall for his age so i found a growth chart online and it said the height for his age (hes about 2 months old) he should be 14 inches at the withers he measured at 12 inches. i dont know if he was the runt of the litter or if hes just growing slowly
should i be worried?

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Do you have any pictures?

Without seeing his body condition I will just say that dogs like people and any species are born at different sizes and grow at different rates. He's just a baby and I wouldn't put any pressure or stress on him having to be some set standard, as long as his weight is good, his poops are solid and regular, and his legs aren't bowing i'd just love him and let him grow as he will.

·
Big Lil pup
6,307 Posts
^^^^ What Sam said. My dad was about 6'. I am 5'8". Our last three boys at their best weight: 95 lb., 65 lb., and our 17 month boy floats between 78-80 lb. Same breeder, same environment. Assuming good nutrition and reasonable exercise, your pup will end up where he should be. Don't sweat it. LOL.

Edit: Oh... just saw G_R's response.... YUP

John
Portland OR

·
denormalized
5,824 Posts
My height measurements vary by inches, esp if trying to measure a squirmy puppy.

I have had my adults measured by Licensed Measure Judges and I still get variation of around 2". The only way to get a proper measurement is to have a well-trained dog stand absolutely still in a conformation pose with head up and attention straight ahead (no moving the head around) and using a measuring table and device.

My dogs are not well-trained to stand in a conformation pose since I don't show in conformation.

I would not place much importance on height. Better is weight and a photo from the side and the top of a standing puppy with good lighting to show how much fat or bone is present.

Plus what the others said ^^^^. :)

·
Got mutt?
13,765 Posts
My height measurements vary by inches, esp if trying to measure a squirmy puppy.

I have had my adults measured by Licensed Measure Judges and I still get variation of around 2". ------
Yup. I've measured Lily at anywhere from 17 inches tall to 19 inches tall, bacause she wiggles around so much. I guess when I get her spayed and send in her PAL application, I'll be measuring again....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts