Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
PanchotheDobe
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is my Puppy too thin?

I recently got a new Doberman pup and after looking at a few photos on the internet I found that dobie puppies on google images tend to be... bigger? or maybe broader in the chest and face. I'm not sure how much he weighs but he got his ears cropped two weeks ago and is about to start his posting. He is pure bred, 11 weeks old, and he was not the runt of his litter. His Father was half European and Half American and his Mother was Full American. I'm kind of puzzled haha. Any thoughts? Also I don't know how to attach and images so if anyone could help with that, that'd be good.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,929 Posts
If you want to use photobucket (a free photo host on line) you can create an account there. Upload your pictures from your computer via their upload function. Then choose the IMG link given on the right side of the photo page and copy that to your post on this forum. You must set the access on your photo album to public to allow it to be viewed here.

There are other photo hosts folks use that might be better, but photobucket is the one I am familiar with.

Would love to give advice about your pup, but it is difficult without a picture.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
At 12 weeks old my male pup was roughly 28lbs.

I agree that a photo would be helpful! Can you see the ribs or hip bones?

·
Registered
97 Posts
He's more American then Euro so he won't be as broad as a euro. Look up American dobes and that's the result you'll get. If can't see the ribs but he still has waist line you are fine.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Thanks for the photos! It is hard to tell when laying down, but he doesn't look overly thin. He has nice muscle definition in his thighs and his coat is very shiny! Adorable little guy :)

Ask your vet if you are concerned though! They can give you a proper answer.

·
PanchotheDobe
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry if I went overboard on the photos. I just love him a lot and I think he's the cutest dobie I've ever seen (probably a common statment on this forum). In the last picture he's nibbling on a corn plush toy with an angry face :)

·
Got mutt?
13,775 Posts
[URL="[/URL]
Froggy doggy! :roflmao:

He doesn't look too thin to me. It's actually better for puppies to be kept lean, as opposed to chunky, as they grow.

·
PanchotheDobe
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't know if anyone noticed, but in the pictures of him before his ears were cropped he has white bumps on the top of his head. They disappeared (finally) a few days ago. I believe it was his littermates knawing on his head and he on theirs because of an encounter he had with a dog a little smaller than him and his attempt to dominate the poor dashund mix. Is that a common thing?

·
Registered
97 Posts
The little bumps are normal my guy had them when I brought them home lol they are from litter mates. At this age he isn't trying to dominate anything it's just play play play. Ares had to learn respect for his little buddy and that was accomplished by if he gets to rowdy I sit him then down him then once obviously relaxed I reward that behavior. This could take ten mins or longer in the beginning now he just gets it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I recently got a new Doberman pup and after looking at a few photos on the internet I found that dobie puppies on google images tend to be... bigger? or maybe broader in the chest and face. I'm not sure how much he weighs but he got his ears cropped two weeks ago and is about to start his posting. He is pure bred, 11 weeks old, and he was not the runt of his litter. His Father was half European and Half American and his Mother was Full American. I'm kind of puzzled haha. Any thoughts? Also I don't know how to attach and images so if anyone could help with that, that'd be good.
My lil guy will be 11 weeks on Monday. He has the same body structure as your pup:D your pup is adorable! Nice to see its not just my Duke.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Please remove the word dominate from your vocabulary it very rarely applies to the dog world you and your puppy will do a lot better without it. Dobe puppies play extremely rough that is just the way they are. I do have a 9 year old Doberman male and a 9 year old female dachshund I still have to referee so the Dobe does not get too rough with the doxie not fair he is 88# she is 14 #, Good Luck with your new puppy.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts