Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my male doberman is now 1year and a half, last time i weighed him he was at 85lb but has always looked very slim. I always thought well he is still a pup and has growing to do. He is 28inches so is about full height but is skinny, i can see his ribs pretty easily. Also his spine is noticeable, he eats twice a day (2 1/2 cups in the morning and 3 cups at night) i am feeding him adult food not the puupy food. Its the Kirkland chicken and Rice brand from Costco. Ive read that maybe he is skinny from doing so much activity, he is outside in the yard for the most part and runs around like crazy especially when other dogs and cats walk around the neighborhood. when another dog walks aroiund he runs and barks and jumps on the fence. He gets very tired and just keeps going, in one day he will go crazy like that about 8-12times sometimes more sometimes less. plus we walk him at night about 1-2 miles. so i dont know if that can be why he is skinny because of so much physical activity? so if anyone can help me on this?
Thanks

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
I thought on one of your other threads, you said you'd been convinced to keep him as an inside dog? Maybe I'm misremembering...

Anyhow, um, pictures would be needed, for folks to try to answer your question.

Reactions: MeadowCat

·
denormalized
5,824 Posts
Well my male doberman is now 1year and a half, last time i weighed him he was at 85lb but has always looked very slim. I always thought well he is still a pup and has growing to do. He is 28inches so is about full height but is skinny, i can see his ribs pretty easily. Also his spine is noticeable, he eats twice a day (2 1/2 cups in the morning and 3 cups at night) i am feeding him adult food not the puupy food. Its the Kirkland chicken and Rice brand from Costco. Ive read that maybe he is skinny from doing so much activity, he is outside in the yard for the most part and runs around like crazy especially when other dogs and cats walk around the neighborhood. when another dog walks aroiund he runs and barks and jumps on the fence. He gets very tired and just keeps going, in one day he will go crazy like that about 8-12times sometimes more sometimes less. plus we walk him at night about 1-2 miles. so i dont know if that can be why he is skinny because of so much physical activity? so if anyone can help me on this?
Thanks
It is impossible to comment without seeing a good photo or 2 of him from the side and from his height - i.e. not from above unless we are looking down at the waist area.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought on one of your other threads, you said you'd been convinced to keep him as an inside dog? Maybe I'm misremembering...

Anyhow, um, pictures would be needed, for folks to try to answer your question.
he sleeps inside at night and is outside during the day, but when its too cold or too hot we do bring him inside, and if it rains he is inside all day. its just that we cant keep him inside when no one is home

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Without pics no one can help. If you are solely basing this on how much he weighs, and think 85 is to thin for an adult male then don't worry. Our boy is 4, weighs 82 lbs, and is a super studly (nuetered, it's just an adjective) athletic dober boy.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
he sleeps inside at night and is outside during the day, but when its too cold or too hot we do bring him inside, and if it rains he is inside all day. its just that we cant keep him inside when no one is home

Well, what he's doing, by running that fence line and "going crazy" is expressing something called "Barrier Frustration."

It will get progressively worse, and more of an ingrained bad habit, and someday, especially since you say no one is home when some of this is occurring, someone will likely hurt or kill him. Sorry to be so harsh, but at least this way you can't say you weren't forewarned.

·
joie de vivre
11,252 Posts
Thanks
Doing so much activity? Uh, what? He does nothing but try as best he can to entertain himself in your yard all day. That doesn't count as 'exercise'. And I'm sorry, but a 1-2 mile walk once per day is about as good as no walk at all for a young Doberman. I walk my girls 5-7 miles per day and they're 2.5 and 3.5 years old, plus play and training. You have to actually stimulate and exercise these dogs. All dogs deserve a dedicated owner but you're ruining the life of a perfectly good Doberman the way it sounds like you treat your boy - if you want to call ignoring him all hours of the day until bed "treating" him like anything at all besides a yard ornament.

Why do you have a dog? Seriously. People like you frustrate me to no end. You have this intelligent, sensitive creature tossed out in your yard day after day and you do nothing with him. Why do you have a dog? Get a cactus. You won't even have to bring it in at night. Jesus.

ETA...Also, as for not being able to keep him inside when no one is home, it's amazing what RAISING a pup indoors and TRAINING them indoors will do for a dog being trustworthy to be left indoors.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts