Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Ive been searching for dobe breeders for a couple months and decided to look through the AKC listings. I contacted a bunch of breeders listed on there just so I could have more options.

One breeder texted me and showed me pics of the Sire and Dam, told me about upcoming litters & dates. He was really patient and there was no pushing around the "payments." The AKC listing shows that they do have a website but when i click on it it says 404 not found(expired? or never actually had it?) Buuuut they do have a FB page where they have pics, videos, and Audience (20-30likes per post, 3-10 comments, all users main pages can be tracked). They also have 3 reviews on FB from actual real people with pics and vids.
After texting for a few hours I asked how should I proceed and he said $500 deposit fee, the pup is around $2200 total, ears and tail cropped, dew claws removed, dewormed and vacced (the rounds before 8 weeks), parents health tested. Due to my spot on the waitlist I would have the third pick (female). The breeder's name, phone, and email match his FB page (has 600 followers) so I did pay him the deposit.

He replies very quick everytime I ask questions and he even took a pic of his recommended dog food for the pup after I asked (Victor Classic, said it had a lot of Taurine which is good for the dog), he also allows pick ups but I live 2 hrs (flight) away so I would have to choose shipping. Puppies were born by the end of last month and there are vids and pics of them on FB.

btw I do have a receipt for the deposit where both sides signed a paper that I have with me rn.

It's my first time getting a dog(i know some ppl will tell me dobes aren't a good first dog choice but they are my one and only favorite and I wouldn't ever want to own another dog so it gotta be a doberman sooner or later).

I just really want to know if this breeder seems legit, I don't think I should put his name or Kennel name here just cuz it's disrespectful but plz if anyone spots red flags lmklmklmk. I have already paid $500 because my instinct believes that he is reliable and a deposit fee is understandable (at or below 500 just because they wanna know if ur serious and not just looking around with no commitment). But I would willingly give
this money up as a lesson if my breeder is actually a scam. I guess I just really need help.

Thanks a lot in advance!

·
Registered
195 Posts
He sounds ok to me….I would think to be on AKC marketplace they’d have to be somewhat reputable. Have you talked to other people who have gotten dogs from him? That’s always a good idea before you get one from him actually

·
Registered
195 Posts
No, No, anyone that pays the money can be on the AKC Marketplace. There are no restrictive requirements. I would need more information before I could give any assessment. However, $2,200 is a little on the low side these days for a quality puppy, especially if the ears are cropped.
Seriously?! What’s t he point in HAVING an AKC marketplace? Honestly the more I hear about AKC behind the scenes the less wonderful they seem.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Kudos for checking, but I don't think it is disrespectful to mention a breeder your speaking with by name and allow people to check them out or share experiences. Deposit is common, so no red flag there. Is the health of parents available? Ages? Pedigree? Puppy health checks? Puppy health guarantee? Able to visit in some fashion to verify at least there is Dobies? etc etc

The only thing I would look at is why the pups are on the cheaper side, may just be lineage and cropping/docking (if you want that) extra? Ensure the extras are in line with going costs! Some inflate pretty high.

I would rather pay more now for a quality healthy as can be puppy than much more due to ongoing medical issues. NOT saying this the situation with the breeder but something you should check! Good luck and make sure to share pictures when he/she comes home!

·
Premium Member
8,910 Posts
AKC marketplace is NOT a good place to find reputable breeders - the DPCA breeders list or UDC breeder list does have mostly reputable breeders. You do still need to check them out. AKC is a registry for purebred dogs - which does not mean that they are reputable.
I'd need to know a lot more about this breeder before I could even begin to give an opinion about them. For one, I don't believe in requiring deposits before you even know if you will have a puppy for that person, or checking them out as well to see if they would potentially be a good home. Most reputable breeders do require a deposit, but not until the litter is born. I personally never took deposits at all.

·
Extraordimary
5,015 Posts
"my instinct believes that he is reliable "

Yet, here you are. No one can tell you if the breeder is reputable/responsible when you don't tell us who they are. AKC marketplace is not a good place to find puppies. Neither is facebook. Facebook "likes" is not a good way to determine whether a breeder is legitimate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Photograph Product Font Screenshot Multimedia

Thanks for everyone who replied, I am grateful that there's such a huge forum for dobermans.
I have decided to include the Name and Pics of the breeder. If anyone has time, you can check out their fb page and see the posts and reviews. The actual price I will be paying for getting the pup is $2200+$700(shipping and handling), which I am fine with. I do see that they do not inbreed, I guess the only reason why I'm scared is cuz of the fact that I can only do shipping. I live in NY and they're based in Indiana...so it's an 11hr flight. Basically it's just that $3000 isn't a small amount for me and you know.. in my case I would have to "trust" my money in their hands till I get the pup.

If anyone has time to check out their page please let me know your thoughts.
Very grateful for everything!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do see that their website is fixed and updated. It's stalarisdobermans.com.
The breeder is really nice to me and very patient, answers every question I have asked (parents are DCM clear, pup will come with paperwork , etc)
speaking of which... I have actually encountered scammers and I do know how they talk, they care much more about the money than the dobes. A scammer I once encountered didn't even sound like he loved the breed nor does he seem like he knows much and all he does is try to make you pay that super low price ($700) for a beautiful pup....

Well I don't have any friends who own dobes (all my friends are cat people) so here I am... reaching out to you beautiful strangers for help.

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
14,156 Posts
Maybe not a scam, but also not a breeder I would go with, based on what little info they have on their website.

The only requirements for someone to advertise on the AKC marketplace are that they haven't had their AKC privileges suspended, and the dogs are AKC registered. You can find really good breeders there, as well as really lousy breeders.

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
View attachment 141996
Thanks for everyone who replied, I am grateful that there's such a huge forum for dobermans.
I have decided to include the Name and Pics of the breeder. If anyone has time, you can check out their fb page and see the posts and reviews. The actual price I will be paying for getting the pup is $2200+$700(shipping and handling), which I am fine with. I do see that they do not inbreed, I guess the only reason why I'm scared is cuz of the fact that I can only do shipping. I live in NY and they're based in Indiana...so it's an 11hr flight. Basically it's just that $3000 isn't a small amount for me and you know.. in my case I would have to "trust" my money in their hands till I get the pup.

If anyone has time to check out their page please let me know your thoughts.
Very grateful for everything!
Having had my pup transported over the road I recommend that you do NOT ship him. Make a road trip or wait until a reputable breeder close to you has an available pup. At that age, they are very impressionable and anything scary or unfamiliar can set the pup back.

·
Extraordimary
5,015 Posts
Agree with Rosemary, just not info on the page to make me wish to purchase. And a lot of visuals that would steer me clear.

The conformation of Dunja is pretty abysmal, imo. A pet who is being bred. The feet on Thedra are awful. The nails are unkempt - these are things that newbies just don't notice. They've got 2 litters on the ground right now. They just had a litter that went home in July. I think we can see what means the most to them. Breeding untitled dogs and making money.

No dog is DCM clear - the DNA tests might be clear, but they mean little in actual fact. The DNA tests are for 2 of the genes maybe responsible in part for DCM, but not all of them so clear parentage does not mean that puppies will not get DCM later. Do you understand that, eggmono? Have you studied the pedigree and learned the ages and causes of death in the last 5 generations? Has the breeder provided this to you? Is that all of the health testing done? Do you understand that there is a LOT more health testing that should be done and provided to you? Hips, elbows, vWD, thyroid, eyes, liver, cardiac ultrasounds / Holter monitoring, etc?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update:
Hi guys thankfully my breeder has provided the pedigree website for me to look up.
Their dogs are imported from Russia/its surrounding countries. I guess that's why I couldn't find any info on dobequest lolol. I will attach screenshots here. I see that both sides' pedigree shows an average life span of 9.5-10 years. I guess it's alright. I have also messaged their previous clients about their pups, all said that they're healthy and vet approved. I know for sure I was definitely not thoughtful enough during my very first search for a dog breeder, but I think that he is afterall an o.k. breeder for my pet purposed family dobie. I'll definitely take notes from what all of you have said and be more careful and prepared if I ever get my second dobe. Thank you guys so much, and again I'm so happy and grateful that Dobermantalk exists where we can share and help eachother out. Thanks guys have a good day!!
PS the website i searched from is called doberbase.ru (for russian imported dogs)
Liver Screenshot Working animal Adaptation Terrestrial animal
Brown Dog Font Screenshot Terrestrial animal

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
With all due respect, it seems like whatever the pros have advised you are set on a dog from these people. I see two dogs on that screen shot with 2 years old and 1 year, respectively. I also see heart UNKNOWN. The experts have advised you. Now it is your choice. Frankly, the potential for the expense, heartache and upset outweighs the need to wait for a reputable breeder.
Good luck!

·
Registered
121 Posts
$700 to ship, is this driving? We had small breed rescues come from Egypt for $800, now that price has gone up to $1,200 on the excuse of Covid & reduced flights.

I have a Euro, which requires more than a North American on average. However did this breeder ask you any questions such as your experience? Children? What your looking for so he can select the right pup? Again, not saying this is one to be concerned about but Euro dobies are on average even more expensive.

You made the call and already paid your deposit, yes? So, as members above pointed out some concerns it is a done deal. Just note if it does turn out some big red flags with this breeder yet to be discovered I would walk away and write that deposit off.

When are you expecting your new family member? If you haven't yet I suggest taking a good read over at the puppy forums so you can better prepare yourself for the good and not so good hehe. Not knowing your experience they are not the easiest breed... will be almost entirely up to you on how he/she will be as an adult, and if you hang in there you will not find a better, loyal, best friend, & natural guard dog.

Everyone here is happy to help & share ideas/tips/experiences so hang around!

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
27,781 Posts
I think there are a lot of people who ask for opinions just to hear good things about their decisions. I know when I ask my family if they like a paint color I've chosen for the living room, I just want them to say they love it, not tell me the color is awful and I should pick another. It's a natural thing to do.

It's tough for those of us who spend a lot of time with thoughtful responses only to feel ignored though.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts