Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10 week old male Doberman puppy weighing 20 pounds. He drinks a lot of water! Most of the day is spent going outside to pee and as soon as he comes back in drinks more and has to go back out to pee. During the day if he's in his cage for even an hour he will pee. I limit his water intake in the evening before bed and he makes it through the night without peeing in his cage. I have read it is not good to limit their water intake during the day. What is normal and should I take him to the vet for this problem?

·
Got mutt?
13,654 Posts
I'd take him to the vet to make sure he doesn't have a urinary infection. Even my GSD, who drinks more water than any other dog I've ever owned, didn't drink and pee that much as a puppy.

·
Premium Member
7,123 Posts
Vet is a great suggestion.
But meanwhile diary your dogs activities for just a few days.
A dogs thirst can walk hand in hand with the types of activities happening each day.
IMO Your vet will find log helpful.
Just note for a few days then do a real brief summary on paper to present when you check in at the vets office.
Check in staff will attach to the chart and doc will look it over before they step in the room hopefully.
Many’s Docs love to get a brief history they can read over before they talk with you.
Nothing like an organized visit.

·
Big Lil pup
6,164 Posts
What both Rosemary and Di said^^^.

Actually measure the amount of water consumed. When and how often the dog drinks is far less important than the actual amount. Also... Although I might restrict a pup from drinking immediately before nightly crate time, I would not begin to refuse him water too early in the evening.

But that's just me.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
Going to echo the others. Get to the vet with him.

We had an obsessive drinker. Turns out his kidneys were underdeveloped. Had we known, there are so many things we would have done differently, and he might have lived longer than his very short 10 months.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts