Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sparky is thirteen and now can't go on long walks so his toenails are growing long too fast to keep going to the vet--is it too late to start triming them myself
? I never did it before because he would not allow it--I let him have his way long ago and now am stuck with wood floors and long dog toenails

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Firstly I want to pay my respect to Sparky, 13 yrs old! Amazing:nicejob:

If he still doesn't allow you to trim his nails, is there an option that a professional dog trimmer comes to your house for you? My friend used this service when her dobe had a leg problem which unabled him to hop into the car.

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sparky is a mutt doberman I found long ago==may have pit bull in him-=-that' s why he is older=he is only 55 pounds==but thanks
as far as a service--I think the vet was using alot of staff to hold him down==not sure if just one person can do it
I may just get some clippers and give it a shot

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Get a dremel instead of clippers. Clippers almost certainly insure a bad (bloody,painful) outcome. Once you cut, you can't take it back. You can dremel a little off of each nail every day if you have to.

You just have to suck it up and do it. If you don't see blood, you're not hurting him.

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THanks I"ll get that
I had the same problem with a German Shepherd I had before him
they both would yelp BEFORE clippers even TOUCHED them---big babies...

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
love but they also become more spoiled over time
smarter at getting what they want...
the good part is he doesn't take off running if he gets out the gate
he comes back soon to be inside the air conditioning...and near food

·
Registered
416 Posts
Yup...DREMEL! Slowly introduce it by having it sit out where he can see and sniff it, when he's used to it, hold it close to him while it is still off. When he's used to it being close to him, turn it on so that he's used to humming the sound.

Then...it's time to dremel with lots of rewards!

I bought a clipper when we first got Duke and took the teeniest tinest cut and immediately there was blood. That was enough for me to get rid of the clipper and go with the dremel solution.

·
Super Moderator
22,670 Posts
Simon was terrible about having his feet touched when we first got him. I muzzled him (with a comfortable basket muzzle) and just started dremeling every three days or so. He doesn't mind me doing nails now, because he's used to it and I've never quicked him.

Reactions: Ruthie

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
When I use our dremel remember it gets hot on their nails so rotate each nail .............I take my dobe into the bathroom with a bone and I talk to her while I'm working on her to reassure her that this is a good thing with lots of praises and kisses......

·
Registered
262 Posts
Zeus has some bear claws himself. The vet charges a bit for clippings, and They've had a hard time being successful at the task. I've volunteered myself to be on top of his grooming needs. He HATES his paws to be touched...but with the right treats, he will let me clip as much as I need to. I've tried dremels too, but the positioning gets awkward for me. I also clip very small pieces at a time. I do this every other day.

We too have hardwood floors, along with carpet.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I worked at a vet office and a grooming place and dogs much preferred the dremel versus the clippers

Reactions: Sherryh
1 - 13 of 13 Posts