Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum but would love some of the advice of you guys. I just recently purchased my puppy doberman, Louie, and because of extraneous circumstances (very long and scary story) we couldn't crop his ears until now, and he is 17 weeks old. Now, if I were to crop Louie's ears, it would be by Dr. Labounty, who I have heard is one of the best in the country. At the office he said it wouldnt be too late and as long as we went with a pet or medium crop they would stand fine (we would go to his office every week to retape the ears). Should I be hesitant or should I just trust his expertise?

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
everything i've read has said that dog is too old to crop. enjoy his long, soft ears. :)

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,076 Posts
Every dog's ears are just a bit different. Did Dr. LaBounty actually see your dog in person to evaluate his ears?

17 weeks is quite late--I would have no hesitation in saying too late--but Dr. LaBounty has a good reputation, so??

Maybe someone who knows more specifics about him will chime in here.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Don't know that vet, so I will defer to his professional opinion if this is some super experienced cropper?

Otherwise, yes. I'd say it's too late unless you want a horrific "short crop".

Floppers are CUTE. Enjoy them

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
It is very late... but I have seen crops done as late as 16 weeks and stand. La Bounty has a lot of experience so if anyone can do it, he can. That said... personally... I wouldn't risk it. To me, there is nothing worse than cropped ears that don't stand. I vote natural.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
There's a lot of variables here.. I've always heard 12 weeks is the 'cut off' date. But depending on what your vet said re: cartilage, general health.. etc.. it's your call.
I love the natural look and personally would not want to risk it. Not at this age.. plus.. you're probably still a couple of weeks away from the actual procedure.
If you do go ahead with a crop, please please Pu-leese do not opt for a short military crop.. I think it totally destroys the elegant lines.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts