Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

We are having a terrible time with the ticks this year and whilst I use a Scalibor Collar all year round I was wondering can one use Advantix at the same time?

Do any of you guys know how these products work and would it be harmful to use the 2 above mentioned products together. If not, how long must one wait till you can swap over from one to the other.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
There is a discussion of this topic, including some communications from manufacturers, here: Dog protection - any Vets out there : British Expat Discussion Forum.

I truly don't know enough about it to comment...

I should add that the discussion is from a couple of years ago, and product formulations can change... I would want to confirm that what was said then still applies now.

·
Premium Member
10,283 Posts
Just as you should never use a flea shampoo and a topical flea preventive or one that is administered in the form of a pill in conjunction with each other you should NOT use a tick collar and a topical like Advantix in conjunction with each other.

You can apply Advantix by removing the tick collar and you could verify that by contacting Bayer Information whose phone number and web site address is on each box of Advantix. But tick collars only work when they are on the dog. Advantix is designed to be applied on a monthly basis so I would assume that if you waited a month and bathed the dog you could then go back to using the collar. Don't use both at the same time. And Bayer is very helpful in answering questions like this.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Good luck and please let us know what they say.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There a tons of products here in Spain which claim to kill Ticks, repel Ticks etc but when it comes down to how they work and how they might react to other products designed to do the same and more importantly what might happen if you mixed them the info is somewhat vague if there at all.

I have decided to stick with Scalibor for the rest of this month and decide later if I want to change over. (though only Scalibor claims to work against the biting fly that carries Leishmania which is really prevalent here in Spain and one of the biggest killers of our dogs).
There is an injection one can get for your dog now (which treats the skin version of Leishmania) which the vets say can be administered as long as the dog isn't already infected but which isnt 100% more like 80% effective so they then recommend you use a topical treatment also. Which is what got me thinking, can one mix and match treatments? Whilst I appreciate an injection is working with the dogs immune system I really am not sure how the topical treatment works. How can it poison the tick so it dies once it bites. If it does bite does it mean any infection the tick is carrying is transferred to your dog. If I were to use the collar and topical treatment at the same time, what if any side effects might it cause the actual products just don't tell you which is why I have turned to you guys, maybe one of you has had experience or know of someone who mixed and matched and what happened when they did.

By the way, the Fleas are also really bad this year and what is worse the treatments we have been using seem to be next to useless when it comes to dealing with them. Is there anything over the pond there that you guys use that our fleas may not be resistant too (but which has passed all safety tests) that will kill the blighters.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Have you read the K9 Avantix II website? The info here is from Doctors Foster and Smith's Advantix II advertisement in their catalog. Advantix II claims to kill and repel: adult fleas, flea larvae, flea eggs, ticks, mosquitoes, biting flies, and lice. We dont have many leishmania flies in the U.S., if at all. Think a member or two's dog has gotten it, but cant remember if contracted here or not. Advantage products work by the oil glands absorbing the pesticide and it is distributed thru the oil on the dogs skin, I believe. When anything bites thru the skin they also are biting thru a layer of oil containing the insecticide. But, yes, if the insect is carrying a disease or parasite, it is transmitted to your dog. If this is wrong, someone please correct me! You should call the number on the box the Advantix II comes in to ask your questions about dosing a dog wearing a Scalibor collar with Advantix II. Have the chemical name that is in the collar before you call. CONTINUED...

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I do know Advantage products will kill fleas, as I have been using them on and off, as needed, for 20 years. But, I have not tried the products that repel.Something that I have used to repel or mask the dogs odor from biting flies and mosquitoes is Avon's Skin So Soft body oil. Works great for a couple of hours. You pour some in your hand and wipe down spine head to tail and backs of ears. You dont need much at all as your dog doesnt have to be oily, just smell. Never used for tick repellent. You might try rubbing down the legs to see if it helps. I have also used horse fly spray repellent for flies years ago. Good luck and sorry your having so much trouble. We expect to have a bad summer, too, because of our mild winter.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
call your vet and ask. don't mess around with flea products, it can be deadly.
I have spoken to my vet at length about what can be done to repel/kill fleas, ticks etc, etc. At the moment he is really excited about this vaccine for Leishmania and is pushing me to have my 3 dogs tested and vaccinated hard and fast as they say.
Regards the Advantix and Scalibor Collar, he sells both but says usually you use one of the other, he has also said he wouldnt personally use both but that it is totally up to me. When I asked him what might happen he just said it might be bad for the dog, but not how etc. So this is what I was wondering if any of you guys knew.
I went on to ask my vet about what his thoughts were regarding my changing from one treatment to another. If it was safe to just change from collar to topical without a laying off period. He said he had never been asked this question before and that he was unsure. (he is nothing if not honest)
The one thing I do not want to do is leave my dog unprotected, if I take off his collar and wait for x amount of days, how many days should I wait before putting the topical treatment on. During the days he isn't wearing a collar is he protected. Believe it or not I have tried calling the makers of the Scalibor Collar here in Spain, (must be under licence or something if you guys get the same item over there) and the woman I spoke too was about as much use as a chocolate teapot. She just read the blurb that comes on the box to me. I asked to speak with someone who might actually be a chemist or the like and she was most off with me and said she would get someone to call me back. I am still waiting. I honestly cannot think that the people who make Advantix (here in Spain) will be any better.

In all honesty the cost of these treatments, be they collar or topical is crippling when you have more than one dog. A collar costs around 40 euros a box costs around 35. On the face of it the collar seems like better value for money, seeing as the collar is supposed to be effective for up to 6 months and the topical treatment ie Advanitix lasts around 3 weeks tops. But neither seem to be that effective where the ticks and fleas are concerned, not this year. My dogs still get ticks on them despite wearing the collar. Whilst my friends dogs have caught fleas again even though they wear Advantix.
I am beginning to wonder if either the ticks and fleas are becoming majorly resistant or the formula has been changed and not for the better.

By the way, I used to use Neem Oil on the dogs and whilst it has worked reasonably well for the past couple of years, this year nothing seems to be keeping the ticks etc off.

I think we are all in for a terrible summer and can only wish the rest of you guys better luck at repelling the little blighters than I am having at the moment.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
One thing for sure, you will never know if Advantix people are any help or not till you try. Of course, you would be asking them about another companys product.///// I agree, with everything dogs need these days, they are expensive. That is why I only have one now. This is the first time I have had only one dog with no intentions of getting another that I can remember.///// Anytime you use one product a number of years, you run the risk of it loosing effectiveness. That is just evolution at work. My vet told me about 3 years ago that Frontline was loosing its effectiveness. Hope you can get some help. If it was me, I wouldnt use collar and Advantix together and wouldnt feel safe about switching over without at least two weeks wait and preferably a month. You cant really do that without you dog being chewed up in the meantime. Sorry youre having such a rough time over there.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am going to stick with the collars for now.

As for the Advantix I will store it away and use it when the ticks and fleas die back a bit and I can give my boy a break from using the collar.

Thanks for everyones advice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts