Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it right to kick a doberman while doing OB?

Friday i'm out riding my mountain bike and their is this Asian lady in her late 40's kicking her brown and rust uncroped doberman pup in its rib cage it looked around 6-8 months old had a pinch collor on :mad:. I told the lady i saw it! she just stoped and staired at me like she didnt do anything wrong.

this happend in Campbell califronia around 6:00 pm
this lady is on this site please talk to her :)

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
How exactly did she kick him?
I mean i'm not ok regardless but I have a feeling if she was working on ob or something and didn't see the problem in what she did, my first thought was "the ceasar kick" is what she did.
She said she is a member on here?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
never know she can be a member here.. i saw her kick it while they were walking then she pulled on the prong then it sat down.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
It probably was, i'm not a fan of it but many people don't follow the shows warning not to try anything themselves, and she probly thinks it works.
Or she is doing something she came up with herself, regardless it was a puppy and the prong alone should have been enough if that was even necessary.
I don't know her nor did I see it or know the reasons behind it but that sounds like a lot of harsh training being thrown at a puppy.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
About 3 months ago I witnessed a woman kicking her dobe while at the park (I was driving slowly through the park). I immediately pulled over, took her license plate number (she was still by her car) and told her I saw her kicking her dog. THEN I called the local police and animal control to report her for animal abuse. The police officer took care of her :)

I have ZERO tolerance for this behavior and I WILL report anyone I witness hurting an animal.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Oh no that wasn't at all what I was saying, I was saying she may have seen the dog whisper show and was trying techniques it has a disclaimer not too!
She may be preparing for akc obed. comp. but at that age and generally overall there is no need to kick a dog.

·
Eat Poo and Die
2,193 Posts
I'm sorry for that poor dog. Unfortunately, it can be a culture thing as well. A lot of asian cultures don't view dogs and dog training in the same light we do.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I can't really think of any situation where it is right to kick a dog.
in a dog fight, but you use your leg to block the other dog instead of kicking it.. i use my leg/foot to keep other dog/dogs away. it happed to my dog and i a boarder collie atacked our dog and i just put my legs and feet to block the dog.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I think she doesn't know any better. Altho she wouldn't appreciate your giving her heck for it, maybe she will think about it and change her ways. If we can change just how one person thinks or approaches a situation, they can then pass that on to another and another.
Makes me sick to think the dog got kicked.
Re Caesar - I don't recall any episode where he kicks a dog...oh wait, that 'kick' from flipping up his lower leg to distract the dog....but that always seemed more like a tap to distract the dog from its behavior.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
I think she doesn't know any better. Altho she wouldn't appreciate your giving her heck for it, maybe she will think about it and change her ways. If we can change just how one person thinks or approaches a situation, they can then pass that on to another and another.
Makes me sick to think the dog got kicked.
Re Caesar - I don't recall any episode where he kicks a dog...oh wait, that 'kick' from flipping up his lower leg to distract the dog....but that always seemed more like a tap to distract the dog from its behavior.
I felt the same way but people that see it and dont know the true force he uses nor follow the shows disclaimer to not try it themselves

·
Registered
165 Posts
Sometimes things are not as they appear. I remember doing some road work with one of my dogs. My husband drove the truck and I sat on the tailgate while a dog that had a tendency to pace jogged behind, very comfortable slow jog. The next day I had a H/S officer at my door step wanting to see my dogs feet. Apparently some well meaning individual contacted them and accused me of "dragging" the dog behind a truck! When the officer saw my dogs and spoke to me It was a done deal, Not an issue whatsoever, but you never know.....

I am going to stick my neck out on this as well..My intrepatation of "kick" is a diliberate action of disdain aimed at a dog, generally motivated by anger with little training purpose. However, I do use my foot occassionally in a manner that is not beligerant but could possibly be conceived by a person who is not familar with training as a kick, especially if they are moving fast and just catch an glimpse of the action.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I agree that asian culture Dont see dogs and the training the same.
Still its disguisting touching any animal in such a way.
I was out on the weekend and came across a few guys that we started
talking about my future doberman..and the first response they said was
Oh you have to show them whos boss my friend had a rottweiler and he punched it
In the face to show whos boss u have to be agressive to teach them.
Before i completly walked away from this s.o.b.. I had to say a few words as
I was disguisted that people could hit animals like that! Theres no telling them tho,
They wouldnt listen to what i had to say.
Urgh :-/

·
Registered
165 Posts
Oh no that wasn't at all what I was saying, I was saying she may have seen the dog whisper show and was trying techniques it has a disclaimer not too!
She may be preparing for akc obed. comp. but at that age and generally overall there is no need to kick a dog.
OR utilize a prong collar! There are so many other avenues and techniques available for training, that a prong in my opinion, is a last resort or perhaps a refining aid.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I just can't quite comprehend how an indivdual culture plays into training. Sound entirely too biased. Had this person had a hat and not recognizable , what would the outcome be?

I think there is a BIG difference between a bonified KICK and foot pressure if the entire sequence had not been observed.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
OR utilize a prong collar! There are so many other avenues and techniques available for training, that a prong in my opinion, is a last resort.
Yes this is true, I start with a buckle, move to a choke, and a prong is my last resort. Until mabel I have never needed it and even with her it was a for a short time.

There are so many options plus when they are young imo the type of punishment a prong gives is to harsh and just leads to a shutdown and confused puppy, i would never use a prong till after 6 months or even 8 months old and after other things first.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yes this is true, I start with a buckle, move to a choke, and a prong is my last resort. Until mabel I have never needed it and even with her it was a for a short time.

There are so many options plus when they are young imo the type of punishment a prong gives is to harsh and just leads to a shutdown and confused puppy, i would never use a prong till after 6 months or even 8 months old and after other things first.
Absolutely. The first Dobe I trained was done utilizing the Koehler method through an AKC obedience judge as an instructor. That is when I purchased my first prong, a micro as per her advice. The Koehler method was entirely too harsh, however, I do believe in a modified version of it. That particular dog did "shut down" BUT once I used treats through the advice of another trainer who had a ans entire UD dobe, the difference was unbelievable. He recieved his CD in 3 hows with only one score below the 190s, and this was my FIRST attempt at showing! We went on to obtain our UKC CD but unfortunately that took 4 shows as back then they introduced the jump on the recall. Also want to ad that THIS dog was a rescue dog adopted from a West Coast shelter. He was due to be euthanized becaused he had a "urinary infection" I threw a "temper tantrrum", demanded to speak to the shelter director , at which point ny husband non chalantly walked away, not laying claim to me, if he didn't know me! BUT 2 days later, the dog was neutered and I was able to pick him up. He lived to be almost 10 and the rest is history!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts