Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buddy & I went out this morning went down to the gravel walk its about 3 blocks away,went around the gravel walk twice, & then went around the block before coming home.Put the scooter up turned Buddy loose in the yard,DH was trimming tree limbs what does Buddy do grabs a little tree limb & does Zoomies in the back yard. He should be tired since we are just starting out on this walking with the scooter thing.Of course we stopped for water breaks getting up at 5:30 am will wait till the sun is up so we can be seen & will go down to the gravel walk in the morning. I want to bottle some of this dog's energy I would be rich heck I want some of this dog's energy.
I think we are suppose to grauate beginners obedience on the 10th of June so hope all this walking will help calm him down a little so he can concentrate better on his lessons.
Patches Mom

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
yeah I dont know lol. I have only made Duchess tired enough to want to crash once she is in the house laying down...but otherwise I think she gets more energized as she continues to exercise...I trust that once you can tell she is pretty tired and still looking like she is having a blast I call it quits lol. But she will never be pooped and then me decide that she has had enough lol.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
After Petey's hikes, he will sleep for an hour or two, then be up and ready for another hike. After the second hike/play time he will sleep like a baby for the night. Now he has started swimming and on hot days that has helped get rid of some energy.

I am enjoying reading about your adventures with Bubby!

Carol & Petey!
ox

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
well, what you describe doesn't seem like it would tire out buddy - walking rarely tires my dog out, period - hiking, running, training etc does, but walking never does.

Rah did an obedience camp this weekend - out of th ehouse by 7:30 each morning, not home until 7 pm or later, working him at least 60-70% of the time, and for the first night, he came home and ran aroudn the yard asking for me to play fetch. the second night he was a little more tired, and last night he finally came home and just came up on the couch and slept.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Yes, its possible. Mental and physical exercise is needed. Training takes alot out of my girls. After a good training session we do in town, while we hanging out, they come home and just crash. With Nikita, we use our frisbee sessions to deplete that energy. Provides both mental and physical exercise, trying to track a frisbee in the air while trying to catch it provided both. I estimate I throw a frisbee about 30 or 40 times for atleast 100 feet each time. So she runs atleast 6000 to 8000 feet. It works for me. Long, low throws take the energy out most.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
So far the only thing that really tires Cher out is going over to Auntie Donna's and playing with her boyfriend Carson. Even then she could do it forever if I let her.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
No :) That's my answer and I'm sticking to it :D

Seriously though, what you are describing wouldn't really make most dogs tired. But what it will do is work to take the edge off, and from what you are saying, that is what you are looking for. So Buddy will be able to concentrate better at class and such. Remember there is a difference between being physically tired and mentally tired. So you may be keeping Buddy active physically, but he needs to work his brain too.

It amazing, Lexus can be totally pooped after a wild romp, but she will be just as laid back after a good OB session too, and you know she didn't get nearly as much exercise.

Good luck at class when you start!

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
When I use to take duchess to the dog park she would be the one getting chased by all the dogs...once 3 or 4 of them each try one at a time and Duchess is still going like the energizer bunny...maybe even not running full speed cause they are just generally slower. lol she runs and runs and then turns around and goes...."why did everyone stop!?":)

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
well, what you describe doesn't seem like it would tire out buddy - walking rarely tires my dog out, period - hiking, running, training etc does, but walking never does.
Exactly. That doesn't sound like much. Try doggie daycare or a weekend at the lake =) Swimming so much can tire a dog out.

·
Registered
928 Posts
after a long game of chase the tennis ball Dozer will usually pass out in the back of the car on the way home from the park.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Orson has to do major zoomie laps in the backyard.........AND fetch for about 1/2 an hour before he even comes close to wanting a rest of any kind. Digging in the sand helps to tire him out too.

He normally gets walked for about 45 minutes to an hour a day, but that doesn't get rid of his energy in the least. If anything, he is more energized when he gets home than before we left..........I think it has to do with all the exciting things he could see and sniff :)

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All we can do now is walk waiting for Buddy's growth plates to close he will be 14 months old on the 28th of this month.This morning we went around the gravel walk 4 times came home on the side walk next to a busy street. We still play ball 2-3 times a day till my arm falls off.Also we graduated from Begginers Obedience tonight the holliday threw me off thought it was to be next week but I was wrong.Now have to pratice for a CGC on the 10th of July. Then will wait for fall to take the next class too hot here for me to be working a big Black dog outside. I'm sure Buddy will agree our summer is going to start up this week sometimes our heat index is 110*-115* we have such high humidty which is hard on dogs, & people.
Patches Mom

·
Supersized Warlock Alpha
6,923 Posts
We used to use hide-and-seek with Henneh in addition to exercise. (She sit-stays in the other room while we hide a tennis ball. Then release the stay and she has to find! With lots of excitement when she finds it this is a FUN game for all!) Also a nice bone to chew on helps my dogs settle after all of the other things. Oh, and don't forget the power of praise when they're resting and being quiet...

I second, or third, the suggestion of play with other dogs... Doggie daycare on Fridays when Frankie was a pup kept her pretty quiet Friday night and Saturday morning. Not to mention all the socialization...

·
Registered
22 Posts
i just bring dewy to the dog park for an hour and that seems to work pretty good but even better on a really hot day, he will find shade and lay down in the grass thats when you know its time to go home.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
The dog park really does it for my two. Between chasing the ball into the water, chasing each other, chasing the other dogs and just plain running around they get so worn out. We took them on Sunday and they were still worn out on Monday.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts