Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rowan is going to be 11 months January 11th, and he is already 28" tall. I can't be sure its not a tad more even by my poor measuring. Do you think he will get taller yet? And if so, what happens to his show career? (Sorry, stupid newbie question) :/

Reactions: Darkevs

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Rowan is going to be 11 months January 11th, and he is already 28" tall. I can't be sure its not a tad more even by my poor measuring. Do you think he will get taller yet? And if so, what happens to his show career? (Sorry, stupid newbie question) :/
It really depends on the lines involved as to whether he'll get any taller. Some dogs get all their height by six months of age, others grow more slowly over a longer period of time.

There is no height DQ in our standard. It's certainly a fact there are many 28 1/2-29" champion males. However, the taller, the more over standard the dog becomes, the more difficult it is to finish them.

All you can do now is wait and see what happens.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It really depends on the lines involved as to whether he'll get any taller. Some dogs get all their height by six months of age, others grow more slowly over a longer period of time.

There is no height DQ in our standard. It's certainly a fact there are many 28 1/2-29" champion males. However, the taller, the more over standard the dog becomes, the more difficult it is to finish them.

All you can do now is wait and see what happens.
Thanks, this is exactly what I was wondering about. I don't think he has grown much in height at least over the past month, so hopefully it is slowing down. His show career is somewhat on hold right now anyway, as you can imagine he is a bit "leggy" :p

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Murrey hit the nail on the head as far as different lines maturing at different rates.

My current young boy had his full height by 9-10 months of age (27.5 inches). He looked huge in the 6-9 class when he was 9 months old but is a normal sized male now! He just got all his growth in height between 6-9 months and then slowly filled out after that.

·
Premium Member
11,136 Posts
Murreydobe is spot on--depends on the dog, the lines he comes from and all you really can do is wait and see.

Some of my males grew slowly and evenly. One was the biggest in the 6-9 puppy class when he was 6 months. By the time he was in 9-12 he was the smallest 9 month old puppy. He grew very slowly until he was 18 months old and ended up 27-3/4".

My youngest dog was 28" by the time he was in 6-9 puppy class and 28-1/2" by the time he was in 9-12--after that he didn't get taller and just filled out.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
My male finished relatively easy with majors from breeder judges and he finished at 22 months. He was about 29" tall but a very sound dog conformationally, not overdone. We didn't show every weekend of every month either.

On the other hand, my current bitch is 27.25". Her conformation is not as nice as the male's was and I opted to spay her. Her height doesn't bother me as much as her front assembly does.

height is just one fault.

And edited to add - it's not like I pick big dogs or enjoy big dogs...it's just been "my luck" to end up with big ones. I'd prefer a standard sized dog :)

Reactions: SpecialK

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My male finished relatively easy with majors from breeder judges and he finished at 22 months. He was about 29" tall but a very sound dog conformationally, not overdone. We didn't show every weekend of every month either.

On the other hand, my current bitch is 27.25". Her conformation is not as nice as the male's was and I opted to spay her. Her height doesn't bother me as much as her front assembly does.

height is just one fault.

And edited to add - it's not like I pick big dogs or enjoy big dogs...it's just been "my luck" to end up with big ones. I'd prefer a standard sized dog :)
Thanks for the explanation. I guess I wasn't sure how big of a problem it is (no pun intended ;)). I am totally new to showing, and although I feel like I've looked over the illustrated standard 100 times I still don't always know what I'm looking for. I know what is appealing to me, but I guess I have to rely on more experienced opinions to decide how difficult it will be to finish him.

I'd kinda like to try to get a current stacked photo for critique, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to hear the responses! :p

·
Registered
523 Posts
Do you have contact with any people in the breed that have seen/can see him in person and give you some feedback on his overall size in terms of fitting into the show ring?

We have the opposite problem! I've had people tell me that Chase is a super nice, super sound dog, but he's smaller than what's currently popular in the ring. I'm going to show him a little here and there (with a handler) early this year to see if judges will take offense to his size. I wish you could donate 1/2 inch to us!!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you have contact with any people in the breed that have seen/can see him in person and give you some feedback on his overall size in terms of fitting into the show ring?

We have the opposite problem! I've had people tell me that Chase is a super nice, super sound dog, but he's smaller than what's currently popular in the ring. I'm going to show him a little here and there (with a handler) early this year to see if judges will take offense to his size. I wish you could donate 1/2 inch to us!!
Ha ha if we could, we would! We have actually been working with a handler, but since he has grown so tall she recommended that we take it slow and let him mature a bit. The last class we did she commented on how tall he was getting and was like, "He's gonna be a 30 inch dog!". I think the next time we see her I will ask her opinion on the rest of his conformation and see how big of a factor she thinks the height will be. I'm sure his breeder could tell us too, but she's over 2 hours away so I don't think I'm gonna make the drive just to ask her that :)

·
Premium Member
11,136 Posts

LOL! Along with the big dogs I've had (including the fawn dog who is 28-1/2" and is the one who was 28" when he was in 6-9 puppy but finished easily with four majors) I have a male champion, ROM with a bunch of performance titles as well who isn't quite 27" and finished easily--mostly against dogs who made him look like a puppy.

If the dog is good enough he'll win--no matter what the size. And I've noticed that the big and the small dogs who finish easily tend to be so well balanced that if they are seen without measurable background you can't actually even guess their size.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
would love to see recent photos of him....even if he is a bit leggy right now. :)

the length of pastern in pups and young dogs is a good indicator of how long their legs will be at maturity. the pastern is about 1/3 of the length of the long bones in the leg.

soooooooooooo. long pasterns = long legs = tall dog.

or something like that. :)

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
would love to see recent photos of him....even if he is a bit leggy right now. :)

the length of pastern in pups and young dogs is a good indicator of how long their legs will be at maturity. the pastern is about 1/3 of the length of the long bones in the leg.

soooooooooooo. long pasterns = long legs = tall dog.

or something like that. :)
I know I have a good stacked pic of him when he was 6 months, but not sure what I have more recent. I can try to take some new ones, but SO works tonight and I am DEF not as talented as some DTers who can stack and photograph their dogs simultaneously! Heck, I'm still working on stacking :p

Maybe I can dig around and see what I have. Thanks for the description though, I'm having a lot of fun learning more and more about conformation :)

Reactions: Darkevs

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
My pup has been the same exact height and weight since he was 9 months old. He is just about 22 months old. My other dobe that died in August was also done growing by 9 months old. Their muscle masses matured after that age.

·
formerly eventermal
3,498 Posts

Perrin is 26.5" on a tall day, and I finished him owner handled. If the dog is nice, then he is nice! Get on out there! :)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Perrin is 26.5" on a tall day, and I finished him owner handled. If the dog is nice, then he is nice! Get on out there! :)
Thanks! You will be my INSPIRATION!!! From the pictures you posted of Perrin, I thought he and Chase were similar in size, but I didn't want to ask. Perrin doesn't look small in pictures, but he does look like a nice, more compact package, like Chase. Just about all of the feedback that I've received about Chase from breeders/handlers has been more than complimentary, so we shall see. He's entered next weekend.

SpecialK, you are in the Chicago area, right? Get Rowan out there and our big and little guys can be partners in crime in the ring :)

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks! You will be my INSPIRATION!!! From the pictures you posted of Perrin, I thought he and Chase were similar in size, but I didn't want to ask. Perrin doesn't look small in pictures, but he does look like a nice, more compact package, like Chase. Just about all of the feedback that I've received about Chase from breeders/handlers has been more than complimentary, so we shall see. He's entered next weekend.

SpecialK, you are in the Chicago area, right? Get Rowan out there and our big and little guys can be partners in crime in the ring :)
Yep...NW burbs! haha that would be fun...then maybe you could tell me what the heck is going on! ;)

Where is the show?

·
Registered
72 Posts
If the dog is nice, then he is nice! Get on out there! :)
Ditto

Fairview....your boy is looking very nice! Don't worry about his size. The judges will notice him. My breeder keeps telling me "a good dog presented well will get noticed". We have 7pts, and trust me I'm am a nobody in the ring. I have seen a few of Boss' get and all look nice and smooth. He has produced nicely. The only thing is my boy still looks like a puppy, will be taking some time for him to mature. Eventermal is an inspiration to me too, an owner/handler doberman can be finished. To the op as long as he looks "put together", being a little tall should not hurt him. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
615 Posts
Rocket was that tall at Rowan's age.....he's almost 3 and has been at 28.5" since he was a little over 1. Sizzle's Jayne is Rocket's half-sibling and he's roughly 29" at the shoulder.

I can't remember off the top of my head....who was his sire again? That would be very indicative of how tall he's going to be. ;)

I third what Murrey said.

Reactions: SpecialK

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rocket was that tall at Rowan's age.....he's almost 3 and has been at 28.5" since he was a little over 1. Sizzle's Jayne is Rocket's half-sibling and he's roughly 29" at the shoulder.

I can't remember off the top of my head....who was his sire again? That would be very indicative of how tall he's going to be. ;)

I third what Murrey said.
Wow, looks like all our boys are tall! Hopefully he is done growing...UP at least ;)

His sire is MOAs Twenty Five and Out...I have no idea how tall :/

1 - 20 of 21 Posts