Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to say this, but I am not enjoying the epxeriece of haing my new puppy Doberman at all. He is 11 weeks old and I've had him for only 2 weeks. In that time, he has done absolutely nothing except for run around and try to rip up and destroy everything he can including me.
I have hired a trainer and am doing everything in the world to get him to settle down and be happy but it's not working. he goes to the bathroom over 15 times a day.....in the house.
No matter how many times I take him out, or how long I saty out there with him, he will only go inside.
He bit my face, bit my legs, bit my girlfriend's legs and arms and will not sit still for one hot minute. Check that, he won't sit still ever...at all...for anything.
he has ripped his postings off of his head and only sleeps when I put him (gently) into his crate.
I'm telling you and I swear to god, I'm doing everything that people are telling me to do. he's got the best trainer, the best vet, the best home and all of my attention. I am with him all day every day (I work from home) but he is just a total nut.
Is this normal? Are all Doberman puppies like this or is mine really just a wack-o?

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
He sounds like a normal Doberman puppy to me. He just seems to have 0 mental stimulation and an owner who was not prepared.

It sounds like you care about your dog and tried to get a trainer involved, but some people are just not Dobermann ready.

·
joie de vivre
11,272 Posts
I agree. Sounds like a normal Dobe pup paired with an owner who wasn't ready for a Dobe.

Do you have any experience with Dobes other than this puppy? What's your experience with dogs in general? It might help us recommend some stuff if we have an idea about what you may or may not already understand.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
He's still really young. You sound pretty frazzled. Kinda like having a newborn that can get around and destroy things, huh ;)

What's his schedule like? My puppy, and I, did better when we had a routine of play, potty, nap, eat repeat. Also, tired puppies are cranky puppies. Is he getting enough nap time for you to keep your sanity? It will get better!

·
Got mutt?
13,824 Posts
Sounds like a normal puppy to me, also.

When you take him out, do you have him on a leash? You say he goes in the house. Does he have free run, or is he crated? If you don't have a crate, get one, and use it. You may have to take him outside every 30 minutes or so, until he starts getting the idea. Whe he goes outside, throw a party, and let him know how wonderful he is. When he has an accident inside, don't make a fuss, just clean it up, and take him outside.

There are several threads on here about teaching a puppy bite inhibition.

Also, what kind of training is your trainer doing? If they are using "dominance" or "show them who's the boss" techniques, ditch them. At this stage, everything should be upbeat and positive. There are several good resouces on clicker training. A 5 to 10 minute session is all he can handle right now, but it should be repeated several times a day.

Take him out and let him run and play in the yard. A tired puppy is a good puppy. Some just take more to tire them out. I had a high-octane puppy, who at two years, is finally starting to mellow out. She's still high-octane, but can now chill out without needing to have a couple of hours excersise beforehand.

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
*snigger* ...sounds normal....he just hasn't trained YOU yet :lol2: ;)

he's the perfect age to begin some play style training games....bite inhibition (there's been a great post about that in some recent threads), short sit's, "leave it" (I found a really good write up on that somewhere...I'll try to find it tomorrow as it's 2.30am here)
tug games, "wait" ...short and sweet training...heavy on play...games like chasey might help to tire him out a little. and watch for the sniff and circle routine to catch him before he goes in the house and run like crazy outside with him, when he first does "the dance"

(I've been going through all this with a high drive untrained 1year old rescued terrier x for the past few months.... so I feel your pain....but I'm still laughing :lol: )
The trick to surviving this phase (yes they will get through it!) is to not take ANYTHING seriously...all things can be cleaned and replaced. (and if they can't remove them completely! ie fort knox them!)...then just dance around the house laughing with your crazy little jumping bean, committing it all to memory, because they grow up too quick!

oh & P.S. ...don't wear your good/favorite clothes for the next 4 months! ;) hehehee

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wake up with him at 7 and go out for a pee.....then he eats.
We play in th eard for about 30 minutes then go in.
He pees in the house.
We go back out.
We play for another 10 minutes.
We go in and do our first "sit"/"stay" training session for ten minutes.
Then I let him play with a number of toys he has until about noon.
The toys range from Kong to a rubber chicken and all sorts of other swueaky toys.
At noon we go out for another hour of play.
We come back and he is in teh room with me again until about 4.
Then we go out for a pee.
Then we come back in and do another training session.
at 6 we go out for dinner and a walk.
Then we play in the yard again.
Then we go back in and hang out with toys until about 8pm.
then we do our final training session.
then I crate him while I make dinner.
Then we go out at 11 for the final pee and poo of the night.
At midnight i put him in teh crate and go to bed right next to him.

I am with him all day every day playing with him for hours on end. Training 3 times a day and giving him all sorts of puzzle tosy to play with.
Unprepared might only be an appropriate word in that I have not done this before....but I'm pretty sure I'm doing it all right...............I think????

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh and by the way, he is on a particular kind of steroid to help heal a wound he suffered before I got him.
The vet siad that might have to do with his frequent urination.
and I do mean FREQUENT.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
From the title my first thought was the same as everyone else....its a dobe :)

Play is great but he/she needs real mental stimulation constantly, puzzle toys, more frequent short training sessions, recall games, tug practice, frozen kongs, crate games, etc... things that work the brain not just simple toys.

It's hectic but normal!

eta: yes steroids can contribute to having to pee more...up the amount of potty breaks if your having an issue there, and just like in people steroids can make them a little bit more...energetic :), whenever I have to take them for a migraine i usually end up getting into a sudden cleaning binge with all my sudden energy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
some people are telling me to stimulate him more, others are telling me to relax.
I must admit, I find myself to be quite perplexed.
Maybe I'm just not the dog person I thought/hoped I could be.
Please believe me when I tell you though, I am trying. I really do want this to work.
Thank you

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,316 Posts
Potty breaks should be taken--

1. Right after the puppy wakes up
2. Right after eating or drinking a lot
3. About 30 minutes to an hour after eating or drinking
4. After (or during) boisterous play
5. Every thirty minutes or so
6. Whenever they start to sniff or circle
7. Right before bedtime
8. Maybe during the night a few times--if puppy starts to cry, it may be loneliness, it may be a full bladder.

Put the puppy on a leash, take a treat with you and throw a PARTY! whenever the puppy goes potty outside. It sounds like he hasn't quite figured out why you are taking him out. He thinks its playtime! So keep you potty trips short.

If he doesn't go (come up with a phrase like "go potty now" to remind him why he's there) take him back in and put him in his crate. If you think he is really ready to pop and just got distracted, take him out again in about 5 minutes. If he manages to go, then you can make it time to play--but definitely make it business first, play afterwards.

Things will get easier. You've only had him for a few short weeks; time will go by quickly and soon you will look back on this time with longing, and a few rueful laughs for the trouble he caused (the trouble might continue for a bit, just in different ways). Anyway, it makes good stories to tell (and pictures for us!)

·
Got mutt?
13,824 Posts
Getting the puppy tired and trained will help you relax. You just need to take a deep breath, and remember that he is just a baby, and babies need to be taught how to be productive members of society. There were times when I wondered if Ilka and I would survive each other, but now, she is probably the best dog I have owned. Is she perfect? By no means. (Just ask anyone who's seen her in action at an obedience trial.) Has patience and training paid off? Yes, big time.

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
DONT WORRY, you are not alone!!!! I have a 14 week old and this is the FIRST week since I have had her that I enjoy her fully. It sounds sad, but is so true. I was beginning to regret getting a puppy altogether and wishing I had adopted an adult. She has been non-stop and extremely naughty for the past 4 weeks, as dobie puppies are. I will tell you how I got through it (keeping my sanity) and what I am doing now.

-I have an xpen bedroom for her with her crate inside (use the search and you will see an example if you are not familiar with this). Our daily routine has been :
6am wake up, potty, walk around the block, eat breafast, potty, nap in bedroom for ~2 hour(with crate open so she has a playpen area )
10am wake up potty, play/train/potty/play/train/potty/play/potty for 2 hours
12pm potty, eat lunch, potty, nap or be alone in xpen bedroom for 1-2 hours
Repeat for the rest of the day until supper around 7pm repeat some more
11pm bedtime.

Cadence was on steroids as well and she literally urinated every 5 minutes :(
When I say train, I use clicker and lots of rewards. She learned sit, down, off, stand, and walk on a leash before 12 weeks. This week I was getting a little frustrated and beating myself up for continually putting her in her bedroom so much and was given the advice to teach her to "be calm" and relax or we use the word "chill" IT HAS WORKED WONDERFULLY! I am now not putting her in her bedroom as often, more like once or twice during the day, and instead I am allowing her to do what she wants for the most part, praising her when she relaxes and eats her bone or chews a toy. At first it was only for a second but I rewarded her anyway and kept telling her she was so good when she would chill on her own. Today she has been amazing; crashed twice on her own on her dog bed without me making her go to her bedroom! I'm so happy about this tiny accomplishment!

Dont give up, keep going you're almost there! Patience is the most important thing at this point and not to get frustrated enough to yell or be angry at the puppy, they are still babies, just really naughty babies :)

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Yes, stimulate the puppy so he's tired and you yourself needs to relax a little bit. Dobe puppies are hard!

When I'm potty training puppies they go outside to pee and don't get to have any fun with toys or me until they do their business . After that I praise and then we run around and play with toys. Even now that my dogs are 18 months and 11 months, they do their business before I do any playing with them.

Also, when potty training my Dobe what my parents and I would do is to set a timer for about 30-45 minutes. When the timer would go off we'd take Dreizehn outside to pee/poo and after we went back inside we'd reset the timer - rinse and repeat. He had MAYBE three accidents in the house and those were all because we ignored his signs that he needed to go out.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
some people are telling me to stimulate him more, others are telling me to relax.
I must admit, I find myself to be quite perplexed.
Maybe I'm just not the dog person I thought/hoped I could be.
Please believe me when I tell you though, I am trying. I really do want this to work.
Thank you
There needs to be a balance between the two.

DONT WORRY, you are not alone!!!! I have a 14 week old and this is the FIRST week since I have had her that I enjoy her fully. It sounds sad, but is so true. I was beginning to regret getting a puppy altogether and wishing I had adopted an adult. She has been non-stop and extremely naughty for the past 4 weeks, as dobie puppies are. I will tell you how I got through it (keeping my sanity) and what I am doing now.

-I have an xpen bedroom for her with her crate inside (use the search and you will see an example if you are not familiar with this). Our daily routine has been :
6am wake up, potty, walk around the block, eat breafast, potty, nap in bedroom for ~2 hour(with crate open so she has a playpen area )
10am wake up potty, play/train/potty/play/train/potty/play/potty for 2 hours
12pm potty, eat lunch, potty, nap or be alone in xpen bedroom for 1-2 hours
Repeat for the rest of the day until supper around 7pm repeat some more
11pm bedtime.

Cadence was on steroids as well and she literally urinated every 5 minutes :(
When I say train, I use clicker and lots of rewards. She learned sit, down, off, stand, and walk on a leash before 12 weeks. This week I was getting a little frustrated and beating myself up for continually putting her in her bedroom so much and was given the advice to teach her to "be calm" and relax or we use the word "chill" IT HAS WORKED WONDERFULLY! I am now not putting her in her bedroom as often, more like once or twice during the day, and instead I am allowing her to do what she wants for the most part, praising her when she relaxes and eats her bone or chews a toy. At first it was only for a second but I rewarded her anyway and kept telling her she was so good when she would chill on her own. Today she has been amazing; crashed twice on her own on her dog bed without me making her go to her bedroom! I'm so happy about this tiny accomplishment!

Dont give up, keep going you're almost there! Patience is the most important thing at this point and not to get frustrated enough to yell or be angry at the puppy, they are still babies, just really naughty babies :)
Agree with this a lot! Teach to relax/chill on their own without being confined.

·
Banned
21 Posts
Sorry had to laugh but this is totally NORMAL for any puppy really not just a Doberman pup take him upside get him tired, run with him exercise go go go all the time with these pups there is no such thing as rest with them they are balls of energy just try to calm down and laugh instead of getting upset it might help your stress level but if things are still not working a Doberman might not be the right dog for you these dogs need constant training all their life your dog is not crazy he is normal he needs a job to do

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hehhe - you sound like a friend of mine. He adopted a nice girl from me. When he lost her and was addicted to dobes he went out and got a puppy. I kept saying, don't do it - get another rescue. Dobe puppyhood sucks and isn't for the faint of heart. He almost gave her go me I 'think' no less than 16 or 17 times in 1.5 years LOL Then he went and got a second one a few years ago so he's got it down now. Haven't had one come get her call this time LOL. There is a reason I like my 4-5 yr old rescues. I figure this pup I'm looking for now will be my last pup then back to my older guys. As I tell all my students.....this too shall pass. YOU need to relax, puppy is fine :) He'll pick up on your feelings and run off them even more. Ask eegreen, I finally told her if she couldn't relax to have a glass of wine b/f doing her CGC or the poor dog would never pass it because of her LOL He's a baby. Babies are FUN - make it all a game, puppy-proof the house and plan of leaving it that way for next year or 2. Remember, UPS will not show up with his brain until then, but he will be more manageable before then :) Make sure you have a positive trainer as fighting him or using force will make him fight you more. Actually he sounds adorable LOL - but we're nutso here also ;)

Reactions: Australdi
1 - 20 of 51 Posts