Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like your honest opinions on whether you think a doberman would work for me. I appoligize ahead of time because this will be long.
I don't have a doberman but have always wanted one and hope to get one this summer/fall.
I have 8 other dogs, 6 small, one medium and one large dog. Time, space and costs is not a problem.
I train all the dogs myself, even taught some dog obedience classes and use to compete in obedience. I get them as pups and start their training and socializing right away. I feel the socialization is one of the most important and really do my best to make sure they get all the socializing they need. And it shows in all the dogs I currently have as they get along with all other dogs and love people and love going places and have no behavior problems. So training is not going to be something I have to worry about. If all goes well, I plan on starting agility this summer.

One of the main reasons I want a doberman is for the security. I want a good family dog that loves people but is also willing to protect them from any harm if the occasion shall ever arise. Add to it that dobermans have short hair and a docked tail makes it great since all my dogs are long haired and take alot of grooming. It would be nice to have a dog that didn't have lots of hair to deal with and a tail that doesn't knock everything over evertime it wags.

I will be breeding and raising yorkshire terriers and with all of the theft going on it would be nice to feel a little security by having a doberman.
Now Daisy who is a large border collie mix is exactly that. She loves us and loves people, she is such a sweet dog but she is also a great guard dog and will protect us and even the other dogs and she loves them too if the occasion should arise. So in a sense we already have one guard dog. But I would love to add a doberman as well.
Dobermans are said to be great family dogs yet willing to protect their family which is exactly what I am looking for.
I love big dogs and miss having one of my own, Daisy is my mom's dog and although I love her we don't have that special closeness that my mom has with her.
I can't tell you how much I miss having a big dog of my own. It has been probably 5 years since I have had one.
I miss the secure feeling I have with a big strong dog. I miss the big sloppy kisses and laying beside a big dog, I just miss everything about having a big dog.

Oh and to set the record straight, if and when I get a doberman, she will be an indoor dog spoiled like all my other dogs. I don't believe in keeping dogs outside.

I am not sure what criteria I need to be able to own a doberman so I really want everyone's opinion as to whether you think a doberman would be right for me and my family.
So what do you think??

·
Registered
891 Posts
Sounds as if you have your hands full!!! There are other measures you can take for security other than a Dobe, I would never depend on them soley, as I wouldn't them to get hurt. I have 2 Dobes now, would love another but these two take up a huge amount of time.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Dobes require a lot of both physical and mental exercise. Java thinks she's a Yorkie some days - would just as soon curl in my lap - but strangers who see her in my yard don't need to know that. They are extremely sweet and affectionate - Java follows me like a shadow and always keeps me w/in her sight. I agree w/ PeeWeesMama - I don't depend on Java for security, she hasn't been trained for security. But she is naturally protective of 'her' territory and lets me know when the FedEx guy drops a parcel off at the front door and I'm in another part of the house.

I saw the Yorkie theft on the news - is it that bad in Californoia?

·
Premium Member
10,537 Posts
MyTrixie, do you have an alarm system on your house? I think that makes a lot more sense than getting another dog for security. A home alarm system will deter anyone from entering your home at night or when you're not home. We have one and I love the secure feeling it gives us.

Plus, you said Daisy already kinda acts like she would protect you, and I'm quite sure that if somone broke into the house, she'd be onto them. I'm not saying not to get a Dobe, but 9 dogs is a lot and like the others said, a Dobe would definitely require a lot of time and I wouldn't want your other dogs to get pushed to the backburner.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I agree that you do have your hands full. They need a lot of time socializing and training. Are you going to be able to give the time with your other endeavor that you want to do and taking care of 8 other dogs? That is a lot to take on. No one else can really tell you if you are capable of owning one. It is something that you have to read and research beforehand and know what you are getting into. You have to think logically if it is the right time and choice for you and is it really for the best of the dog. Getting any dog isn't something that you should think of lightly. It is a responsibility that you agree on when you get that dog to stimulate them physically and mentally. Some more than others.

If you are looking for a security setting, you stated that Daisy does her job of protecting. Any dog will turn away people if they are barking. Your dog will be inside as you stated and hard for someone to decipher if it is a doberman from the bark. They just know there is a dog in there and do they really want to tango with it. *Most* intelligent people wouldn't approach any dog protecting their territory no matter what breed.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I agree with everthing the others have said. Although my dobe does make me feel safer, especially when my husband is out of town, our alarm system is what helps me sleep better when he's gone. I can't tell you enough that dobes require A LOT of time and effort. I know you said that you obedience train and everything, but 9 dogs would be a bit much for anybody. For me personally, some days Skyler takes up alot of time, and some days not so much. When she's had her exercise she's almost a perfect dog. On days when the weather's bad and we can't get out, she can be a pain. Dobes aren't dogs that you can just exercise 30 minutes a day and be done. Every dog is different, but I know Skyler does well with about two hours of physical exercise each day. Then, we still work on obedience in the house and outside during the day. When we can't get out, we play a lot indoors, but they really need a good, long walk or run every day, plus the mental stimulation. I can't blame you for wanting one. They are great dogs with proper training, but like the others have said, I don't think it would be fair to your other dogs to add one that takes so much time.

·
Registered
602 Posts
MyTrixie143 said:
I have 8 other dogs, 6 small, one medium and one large dog. Time, space and costs is not a problem.
Not that I doubt your dedication and love for your dogs but...caring for so many animals especially dogs (which are social animals) can be tricky. On top of that Dobies are very sensitive if not cared for properly.

Out of 8 dogs, how many males do you have? That could also be a problem if you get a male Dobie.

MyTrixie143 said:
I train all the dogs myself, even taught some dog obedience classes and use to compete in obedience. I get them as pups and start their training and socializing right away. I feel the socialization is one of the most important and really do my best to make sure they get all the socializing they need. And it shows in all the dogs I currently have as they get along with all other dogs and love people and love going places and have no behavior problems. So training is not going to be something I have to worry about. If all goes well, I plan on starting agility this summer.
This sounds good.

MyTrixie143 said:
One of the main reasons I want a doberman is for the security. I want a good family dog that loves people but is also willing to protect them from any harm if the occasion shall ever arise. Add to it that dobermans have short hair and a docked tail makes it great since all my dogs are long haired and take alot of grooming. It would be nice to have a dog that didn't have lots of hair to deal with and a tail that doesn't knock everything over evertime it wags.
Most dogs are natually protetive of their packs, there are a few that are not. So security should not be your main reason. A house alarm is a must if you feel that your house needs to be secured.

Dobies do not have long coats but they do shed and its a lot smaller hair which is hard to get to sometimes.

MyTrixie143 said:
I will be breeding and raising yorkshire terriers and with all of the theft going on it would be nice to feel a little security by having a doberman.
Now Daisy who is a large border collie mix is exactly that. She loves us and loves people, she is such a sweet dog but she is also a great guard dog and will protect us and even the other dogs and she loves them too if the occasion should arise. So in a sense we already have one guard dog. But I would love to add a doberman as well.
Again, for security do look into a house alarm. The cost of getting a Dobie from a reputable breeder and the cost of a premium security alarm should be about the same overtime.

MyTrixie143 said:
Dobermans are said to be great family dogs yet willing to protect their family which is exactly what I am looking for.
I love big dogs and miss having one of my own, Daisy is my mom's dog and although I love her we don't have that special closeness that my mom has with her.
I can't tell you how much I miss having a big dog of my own. It has been probably 5 years since I have had one.
I miss the secure feeling I have with a big strong dog. I miss the big sloppy kisses and laying beside a big dog, I just miss everything about having a big dog.

Oh and to set the record straight, if and when I get a doberman, she will be an indoor dog spoiled like all my other dogs. I don't believe in keeping dogs outside.

I am not sure what criteria I need to be able to own a doberman so I really want everyone's opinion as to whether you think a doberman would be right for me and my family.
So what do you think??
Do as much research as you can on the breed and prospect breeders. This site has a lot of excellent information and members who will help you since you are asking for help, which is great move on your part.

Best of luck with your search.

Naveen

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
The great Pretender.....errrrr Protector!

Like everyone else has said......boy, do you have your hands full......and by your choice, of course!

I have 4 cats which require hardly no work at all, some are needy and some are aloof. I find dogs to be much different. Prior to adopting Rudi, my Dobe, my ex-boyfriend had 3 pit bulls, 2 brothers and a sister. I would go over to his place during the day and let them out to potty. I had to let each one out by themselves. By 4 months old the 2 brothers would have done some damage to each other. It was very time consuming. It would have been different if they could have been let out at the same time. Needless to say, I didn't care for the way he cared for his dogs, which eventually added more strain to our relationship and we went our separate ways. I would've loved to have kept the less dominant male, Tut was such a good boy. His brother the alfa male (Sidot) was too dominant, even though he was a smart and loving dog to us, he was too aggressive with other male dogs. I missed the friendship of the canine variety (there is a reason they don't have cat parks! LOL) A few of my childhood friends had Dobermans. I knew someday, when I had a secure career and home security, I would venture into buying or adopting a Doberman. I felt rescue was the right thing for me to do at this time in my life. Rudi has evolved into the typical velcro dobe. He is my right hand man. We do everything together and go everywhere together. He is a lover, not a fighter. I'm sure if it came down to it, he would try his best to protect me. Even though I have never even heard him growl or seen an aggressive side to him. He is a very laid back couch potato, which I like because I don't need to exercise him 2 hours a day or more like natdobe. We can go for a walk for a 1/2 hour in the evening and he's cool with that. I do enjoy the fact that he is a big boy and people "think" he is the "protector." I have an invisible fence, and my house sits up on a small hill, and it makes me laugh when people walk down the street and go to the opposite side of the street just to walk past my house! If they only knew what a love bug he really is. (I try not to let the "cat out of the bag" when I meet new people. Only my close neighbors know what a good boy he is......no one else needs to know this!) I even had to teach him to bark! That was fun.......my cats thought I had gone insane. When I meet new people, I go through his series of obedience tricks, ans that helps make him a great ambassador for the breed IMHO. I like to go out for walks after dark.....and just him being there (versus having a ****-zhu or something) helps me feel a little safer.
I guess there are reputable breeders out there that breed Dobes for "security" or "working" dogs....there are people on here with a better sense of this than I have. I'm sure you don't want a viscious dog....since you have a large canine family. Besides, visciousness is not in the breed standard.

Good luck!

·
Registered
694 Posts
I think that ANY dog needs a lot of time and devotion...some more than others..and phew 8 dogs sounds like work to me....although I do have to say that 3 yorkies are not quite the same as 3 dobies....I would be more worried about the other males you have in the house if you decide to get a male dobe....I can't even imagine having that many dogs...but I do know that some people have the gift...good luck in your decision :)

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I am glad you are doing your homework.
But in all honesty, I am not sure the Doberman would be the best fit for your household.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I noticed you said "she" will stay in the house and others have expessed concern for male/male dogs.....but some female/female situations do not work out either. Some dobes have a problem with Alpha male, Alpha female roles.

It is true that dobermans do not need a bunch of grooming, but they do still need and expect a LARGE amount of time. Your future dobe will most likely want to be right with you at every opportunity, and will not be appreciative of all the time and attention bestowed upon your other dogs.

I know that Orson get's a little anxious when I help out my son bathing his dog, or any activity with Phoebe that does not include him.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Acooper said:
I know that Orson get's a little anxious when I help out my son bathing his dog, or any activity with Phoebe that does not include him.
I can totally relate to that. When we are doing heel work, I have to put the others behind a gate or keep them inside. Otherwise, I get a nice big boy squeezing inbetween me and some one else for the heel. He can not stand to be left out of the fun. In his mind, all training should be just him alone. No one else can do what he does best.

·
Registered
70 Posts
A couple of points as a 10 month old owner:
1. ALL Dogs need grooming constantly. My dobie sheds more hair than my long hair border collie did. It's all what your willing to live with.
2. Like I said, I had a Border Collie, probably the most high energy dog of all breeds, but dobermans are a class all their own. Think Border Collie smart, terrier stubborn. This dog has all new things I have to learn
3. Both the BC and Dobies reaction was the same at people they didn't know or noises heard. All dogs just about have a "Strong sense of place". Your pack of 8 probably makes a ruckuss to beat all that. Without formal training it'll be variable to say the least the protection you get.

My final point is, if you are American, and are really worried about it, go get a gun. A shot gun with rock salt, buck shot or something. Any determined predator will get into your house if they want to. For me the doberman is a pet first, and alarm second. I beleive in protecting my family and whats mine whole heartedly. It's your god given right, exercise it.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 8

Before everyone starts calling me a right wing wacko, my final point is, your safety and your possesions (of which your dogs are possesions) are your responsibility. Take control. Be active. Don't let someone else make the decision for you.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I think the biggest problem would be that a dobe wants to be by your side all the time and they want to be the one you are paying attention to etc. I jsut don't see a dobe enjoying beeing in a home with that many other dogs.

Now my corgi or husky would not mind one bit:tongue23:

Maybe soemthing to look inot is a guardian breed(the big furry ones:) ) if you want something to scare people off. they will often attach to the other animals more than the people and me be perfectly content in a home with that many dogs.

I second the gun thing-we have had some robberys here lately and we finally started locking our doors! I know byron would protect me-but not so much my property and I don't want him to get hurt trying to.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
I Just have to reiterate what everyone else has said - if you want true security, get an alarm system or some other method to protect yourself. A doberman is naturally protective, but no dog will truly stop a determined robber. In addition, dobes are not born ready to protect - the protective nature gradually comes, and it will be at least a year or two until any doberman is ready to properly put up any threat, even if you train them in personal protection.

Honestly, a large active doberman with that many small breeds could be harmful to them simply because dobermans are big dorks oftentimes and a young rambunctious pup can easily annoy smaller, older dogs. In addition, dobermans CAN display some aggression, specifically same-sex aggression (male-male is most common, but female-female can occur as well).

With a lot of work I am sure it COULD work out, but I think there are many things that show it could be a long uphill battle. If you are willing to accept that and work hard, then by all means, do your research adn find a reputable breeder - but keep in mind that no, a doberman is not necessarily your best bet for a dog, specifically if you are just looking for more security. I would risk my own life if a robber came in the house just to save my dogs - and ALSO keep in mind not every doberman is GOING to be a great protector - what if yours isnt?

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Acooper said:

Haha..******* is the same, if I go to pat another dog she comes running over pushing her nose into my hand Pat me, pat me!!

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Dobe's are Big Puppies seems like forever Buddy is 11 months old I still do not let him loose in the yard with my 14 year old Papillion & my 14 month old Minnie Doxie he would mow them down just playing. Also if you are going to breed Yorkies you have to take in to consideration when the female is in season if you have a male Dobe could be problems then if you have male Yorkies more problems. Then not all females get along with other females especially if puppies are around. I have problems getting enough exercise for my boy too.
Patches mom

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
I am a new Dobie owner....Petey is only 19 weeks today. He is a HANDFUL! He constantly looks for mental and physical stimulation! He is like a toddler 24/7. I already hike with him for over an hour.....every day of the week....he needs that much exersize or is into everything in our home, and is at us to play with him constantly. I think you need to examine how much time you have available to be able to give a Dobie what it needs to be a happy member of your large family. I'd like a second Dobie in the future...but right now....my hands are very full with Petey!

Carol

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Luvbirds59 said:
I am a new Dobie owner....Petey is only 19 weeks today. He is a HANDFUL! He constantly looks for mental and physical stimulation! He is like a toddler 24/7. I already hike with him for over an hour.....every day of the week....he needs that much exersize or is into everything in our home, and is at us to play with him constantly. I think you need to examine how much time you have available to be able to give a Dobie what it needs to be a happy member of your large family. I'd like a second Dobie in the future...but right now....my hands are very full with Petey!

Carol
Amen!!! I remember when Cole was a puppy. Good grief. . . Out on the trail at 5 am and home by 10. This was Saturday and Sunday. During the week, we were out walking for a hour and a half. This is in addition to the little obedience training we were doing and the puppy kindergarten classes. Dobe pups are rambunctious suckers aren't they? Cole is now 5, soon to be 6, and still requires excercise and mental stimulation. He has not slowed down one bit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts