Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I DONT LIKE the idea of people having Dog Fights setup and DOGS FIGHTING PERIOD. But i was told a story about how a Husky and a Doberman got loose and a fight broke out. The husky tore the Dobie all up I wonder about how good a nontrained doberman could defend its self against someother big dogs out there. We know there smart and are good guard dogs but can the fight well. And everyone i talk to is always like my dog would kill any doberman blah blah blah

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Not sure I'd want to find out to be honest. Sounds like your friends need to grow up too... Do their dogs excel in the myriad of events that Dobes are known to excel in?
My guess is that a Dobe could hold his own but his long legs and height would be a detrement in a fight compared to a more compact breed like a husky.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I think it would be up to the dog. If its a shy dog it would run, If its a plyful dog it might want to play but grow to fighting. I don't think u can determine if a breed could is a good fighter or not. I think it depends on one the owner and 2 the personality of the dog.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Don't forget to take into account the coat of the Husky compared to a dobe. It's a lot harder to get through a thick coat compared to a thin coat, thus, more damage.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
MissGretchen said:
Don't forget to take into account the coat of the Husky compared to a dobe. It's a lot harder to get through a thick coat compared to a thin coat, thus, more damage.
Very good point.

The point of the matter that really explains the whole thing is that dobes were created and bred to defend man against man. They don't have natural protection to protect them from dogs. No loose skin, taller builds (they aren't built to get under another dogs reach ex-pitbulls), no think hair to protect them, and such related issues. So the way I see it, is basically a dobe will be more injured from a husky than vice versa.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Anyone who finds dog fighting to be entertaining should be shot. Now that is a bit harsh, but that is how i feel. As far as a dobe being a fighting dog, i think the old pitbull analogy works best here..."Its not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, its the size of the fight in the dog."

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
A While back when we got our male Spirit, I was stopped by a young man who asked where I had gotten him. He said that he really wanted a Doberman because all his friends had pitbull and he wanted a dog who could beat their dogs up and protect him at the same time.. Well, I told him I would not give him my breeder's information because of that reason and be got real upset with me. Tried to call be a raceist I told him I did not care what color the skin was, I would not tell him because he was stupid and was not a caring person who should not have an animal. Dog fighting is the worst thing.
Just my 2cents!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think that the Dobermann's characteristics might be its downfall if forced into a confrontation with another fierce dogs.

Already pointed out, Dobermanns were bred to protect man from man and not dogs and their fur does not lend itself to protection against a bite.

Further, their tight skin does not lend itself to the dog turning itself around to bite the dog should it be bitten from behind. Another thing is the dog's height lends itself to a very fatal bite on the neck from below.

I'm not too sure of what a Husky is capable of, but a Dobermann's bite pressure is about the same as a German Shepherd's which is about 900psi for the average biter. The thing to remember is that these dogs are not about sheer power, rather intelligence and agility. Multiple bites for protection training are more better for these breeds rather than bite and hold.

Rotties and other Mastiff type dogs exhibit more dog to dog/animal aggression orientation. They were originally cattle herders or fighting dogs. They've got thicker coats, looser skin and more stocky than tall. Their bites are also much more damaging at around 1200psi. These breeds are very good at bite and take down.

I think the dogs that pack the most bite pressure would be Presa Canarios, Filas and the assorted pure fighting dogs at around 1600psi bite pressure. These dogs are bred to exhibit pure animal-animal aggression and would truly really take a Dobie down, not that I'm condoning that.

An example, a female Presa in Singapore took down 2 male Rottweilers that charged her walker. She died in the end, but so did those 2 Rotties. Bad handlers = dead dogs.

That said, I doubt the average Husky will take down the average Dobermann.

Regards,
TH

·
Registered
107 Posts
Where do you get your information on PSI? I was under the impression it was impossible to determine PSI of a dog's jaws because of the different factors and reasons for biting.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The information was given to me by my trainer, he probably got hold of the information while working with the Aussie Airforce as a handler.

Perhaps biting under different motivation would result in different pressures, thus he probably gave me an approximate on their bite pressure.

Regards,
TH

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I saw a really interesting documentary on psi in canines ( I think at the end the tried to test lions but fell asleep) of the dogs tested the Rott scored the highest and surprisingly enough the hyena scored the highest for the wild dogs (higher even than the shark!). But the guys that were doing the testing made a point to say that nothing can be conclusive since there are so many variables. The Rott went up against a GSD (I think, I was really tired when I watched this :) ) and they attributed his wider mouth to the higher psi.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think that bite pressure varied, as you said, accordingly to the mouth structure.

Rotts and Mastiff type have got the wider head structure allowing for bigger muscles in the cheeks hence increased bite pressure.

I was really perplexed when I was told this as GSDs seem to be the choice K9 dog and I was told bite pressure counts for very little in the field, they need high intelligence and more importantly, agility which Mastiffs cannot match the sleeker breeds for.

Regards,
TH

·
Registered
265 Posts
i think Lucy could hold her own if need arrises..she plays hard with other dogs and tends to scare them b/c she is so ruff. she also is a dominent dog and with my daughters dog (he was 98lbs lucy is like 50) she would put her hed under his stomach and roll him....but like another said i wouldnt want to find out. but i know my girl will protect me weather it be from human or beast.

·
Registered
232 Posts
the best

a guy told me about a pit fighting a Dobe, the Pit was trying to get up under it and get its neck but the Dobe would crouch down to its size which made it difficult, in the end the Doberman thrashed its head sideways whcih caught a good lick to the pits eyes then it proceeded to put its long row of teeth around the pits neck.....no more pit

also keep in mind, id think the DObe would be a good fighter against a human attacker, because its the only dog bred to protect humans against humans mainly, also they say the Pit Bull is like the canine Gladiator and is built more for dog fighting, ultimately in the end its gonna be pretty much determined like someone else said....the temperment of the dog

·
Registered
421 Posts
My husky could beat byron up on her bad days:haha: Byron is a woose when it comes to other dogs,except one shepherd he got into it with. I'm sure if it came down to it he could more than defend himself though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I used to own a dobermann male who had his fare share of confrontations with stray dogs and loose dogs on our daily walks. He NEVER once backed down from these attacks regardless of size or number and always handled himself very well. That said, I honestly do NOT see the dobermann as a canine gladiator, but i would like to believe that it would have the heart to protect its master with its life if the situation called for it whether the confrontation came from man or beast, that is IMO the ultimate personal protection dog.

th.ng thanks for the story about the presa canario its master must have been so proud of her and devastated at the same time.

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
Unfortunately when Buddy ,Patches & I were out last fall ( I walk Buddy with a Medical scooter,Patches is a Dachshund she sometimes rides sometimes trots beside the scooter) Luckily Patches was on the scooter by my feet.A Pit/Boxer mix jumped the fence went after Buddy my 3 year old Doberman Buddy had on a back pack plus 2 collars he held his own no injuries do not know if the other dog injuries or not as soon as we could get out of the situation we left.If the dog had attacked Patches she would have been dead. I did use my air horn which stopped the fight but it ran out of air & the other dog resumed the fight with Buddy.I have had AmStaff,2 Bouvier's none had teeth as big as Buddy's??? Now I have Gel Pepper spray + the air horn. That was Buddy's first fight and hopefully his last I hated for him to get in that position but he did defend his Mom & little sister Patches.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
24,901 Posts
My first dog got into, let's see, three fights total in his 13 years of life and came away with a need for stitches each time. The breed of the dogs--all Golden Retrievers!! I think the long-haired or thick coat is a real advantage over the dobe's short tight hair.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts