Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my dobie is about 1 1/2 and doesnt have his ears croped. i really want to crop them but i don't know if hes too old. if i have them cropped will i have trouble training them to stand up?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Yes, it's more than a year to late. Just enjoy him how he is. Typically 12 weeks is a late crop.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
The cartilage is usually set by 8 to 10 months at the latest after that the weight of the ears pulling down on the cartilage would make it almost impossible to stand. They latest it is recommend to crop is 12 weeks. I have heard of one done at 16 weeks and the ears stood but it was not a long crop.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
First, his ears are very handsome.

Second, WAY too late. No way on earth they would stand. The cartilage in the ears has "set", over a year ago in fact. Enjoy your handsome boy, just the way he is.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks thats what i kinda thought my othere doberman has his ears cropped allready thats the reason i wanted them both to have them but its okay..:)

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
If you have 2 male Dobermans you should read up on same-sex aggression in Dobermans.

Reactions: Australdi

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
yes i have they get along but once in a while they have their moments one is 8mo old and the other about1 1/2
Both are still quite young and likely not completely mature mentally. Are either/both of them neutered? It doesn't always make a difference, but it is definitely something I would consider if you want a little bit of a better chance of them maintaining their good behavior around each other.

·
Registered
270 Posts
As they mature you are very likely to have a very serious problem arise very quickly. Definitely read the link on same sex aggression. Beautiful boy by the way!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yes i really wanted to get a female for raider but i kinda rescued max from some people that didn't care for him and he's a really good dog

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Your boy is lovely the way he is, au natural.

Be ever vigilant with your boys, even though they are still young they can turn in the blink of an eye and carnage follows.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I think I like your un-cropped boy's ears better. I'm not too fond of the short cut that your cropped boy has, it looks like a pitbull crop almost. Did the breeder pay a vet to do that? Or did you have it done at your vet?

Enjoy your handsome guys, both are very young and I hope that they continue to get along famously! :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks raiders ears were allready cropped and i like the medium family dog crop better than the military crop but i think it fits him..:)

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
Both of your boys are very handsome, I hope that as they grow up they stay sweethearts. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. From what I hear, there is more potential for it not working, but I could not tell you what the percentage is for it actually turning either way. I guess it all depends on each individual dog. In any case. I hope they end up best friends, or at least compatible room mates!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts