Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Do we snap at the invisible bugs

• Yes when happy, excited, etc

Votes: 18 41.9%
  • Yes when frustrated (like keep away type games)

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • No, never seen it happen

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • I have one dog that does and one that doesn't

Votes: 3 7.0%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Air Snapping/ Air Biting... Just curious on who does it and maybe why or when they do it....

Jonesy air bites when he is super excited or it seems when he is frustrated... Anyone else?

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't find a good video of it, and I can never capture it on film
but lets use Ramsey as an example

Imagine this without the hand and less teeth... Just randomly biting the air
Okay I give I can't embed video lol
YouTube - Doberman Bites!

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I can't find a good video of it, and I can never capture it on film
but lets use Ramsey as an example

Imagine this without the hand and less teeth... Just randomly biting the air
Okay I give I can't embed video lol
YouTube - Doberman Bites!

lol - Tess does the exact same thing with the exact same game!! It was like watching my own dog on screen. I don't consider it a move of frustration at all, just a variation on "bitey face" that she'd play with another dog.

She also snaps at the air when she's really excited...along with stamping her front paws, wiggling her nub, and licking her chops. I call it "stampy wigglebutt."

·
Registered
628 Posts
Naavi snaps at the air when we're working with a helper who is playing keep away with the rag. That's the only time I've seen her do it though.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Not to alarm you, but "fly biting" or "fly catching" is often a seizure activity. It's not uncommon for seizures to be triggered by excitement or stress. I've had patients who would only seizure when groomed, when boarding, etc.

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not to alarm you, but "fly biting" or "fly catching" is often a seizure activity. It's not uncommon for seizures to be triggered by excitement or stress. I've had patients who would only seizure when groomed, when boarding, etc.
I don't consider what Jonesy does this because it only happens if I am holding a toy that he wants (like playing keep away) and its normally a Chomp not rapid snapping... I think when I was trying to find a video of what I was talking about I saw what you are talking about rapid jaw snapping....

Jonesy does more of a CHOMP looks at me CHOMP then stops I wish I could capture what I am talking about on camera, I don't think I am describing it that great

·
Registered
243 Posts
I think I understand what you're describing. I call it "talking back", as I usually get it after I issue a command. For example, I'll say "Rudy sit", and as he's sitting - or immediately after - he'll bite air as if to say "ok, I did it but......" My last 3 Dobes have done this; I don't remember if my first did.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Kyrah doesnt do it to an extreme but when she is frustrated like wanting to play and knowing she cannot jump or bite my daughters hand or I guess maybe she is excited to see her when she comes home from school she does a few mouth opening and closings and whines then runs to find one of her stuffies and pulls off a leg or de-stuffs it. She does it also when my male terrier has a toy she wants so bad and throws a tantrum by laying on her side paws moving up and down while snapping and whinning.

Guess I shouldnt have voted frustrated maybe I should have voted happy & frustrated.

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I understand what you're describing. I call it "talking back", as I usually get it after I issue a command. For example, I'll say "Rudy sit", and as he's sitting - or immediately after - he'll bite air as if to say "ok, I did it but......" My last 3 Dobes have done this; I don't remember if my first did.
This sounds like what I am trying to talk about...

·
Registered
243 Posts
Rudy actually did it to the vet today. Vet was checking his stitch area (had nuggets removed) and Rudy was slobbering all over vet's face. Vet was laughing and told him to "knock it off, you knucklehead!!" and Rudy gave him the sass-back. Always just one air-bite. Too funny.

·
Banned
7,653 Posts
1) Real bugs that are invisible to me at that point, yes. I used to think he was nutz and then realized it was natz (lol) that I just wasnt seeing and he was.

Anytime it happens in that context, I spray the area and its outside for the both of us, to the beach or whatever, until the air clears.

2) BUT, I think it is really important to comment that while I was in the thickest of my studies in the last year of school, he would start snapping at the air or digging his nose into, around and under things, even after we removed the bug REALITY.

In other words, he was CREATING things to do. This can be a real wake up call in terms of their needs and it is no coincidence that I was buried in work at those times.

3) BUT!!!

Some other things being discussed here in this thread sound more like mock barking - something Im fascinated with and trying to understand, but it is more like he is trying to TALK to me, LITERALLY.

This is a whole other topic compared to the first two experiences I described. This sort of thing is a very complex experience with Sebastian that seems more human-like than most other experiences we share (not that "human-like" is somehow more valuable - just astounding in the analysis of this cross-species evolution that has drawn man and dog together.)

It is quite literally like he is trying to say something and I become increasingly open and encouraging of it for many reasons. But usually, the time of day and context quickly reveal what it is he is trying to speak to me - food, walk-time, massage-time, play-time...even "dad, damnitt!! Im tired, its time to put your work down and let me sleep, time" lol.

Crazy schtuff. But so adorable and incredibly interesting to try to understand and connect with.

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
AV do you notice if you snap or talk back to him he does it back?

I've notice that if I start to talk to him.... just with the open mouth talk back it seems like he is mocking me... It really is quite interesting to think about.... Dad Damnit I like that... Sounds familiar...

Also crazy I don't know how much Sebastian sneezes but I started to sneeze with Jonesy now everytime I sneeze Jonesy will sneeze or attempt to sneeze, kinda funny how human like they want to be

·
Registered
13 Posts
Kane does it all the time. Mostly when he has to go out to pee.
He also does this when its around eating time or when he wants you to sit
next to him on his couch. While doing this he is very vocal (with some what of a growl).
I can put my finger in front of his mouth while he is snapping and he will back off or stop.
He never bit my finger and I dont think its aggressive but it sure sounds it. I think it would scare other people. I grown used to it and think its quite funny.

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I finally found a video to show what I am talking about...
I was going through some old videos of mine and found it

Old video... About halfway through it... Please ignore the Dumb Owner that won't shut up (yes that is me)
YouTube - Attacked by a doberman

·
Registered
470 Posts
I totally know what you mean. Zeus does this all the time. He definately does it to "talk back" or when he wants something. It's more of a protest and I don't approve of it when he does it. Lately, I've been correcting this behavior and getting him to stop. It was funny when I first saw it but now it's becoming more of an act of defiance on his part. Not allowed Zeus.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
HAHA I know what you mean , Gabriel used to do this all the time. He also used to nibble on you as if you was itching you with his teeth lol.

·
In training
1,263 Posts
I know this thread is old, but...

Nova does this too and it really does seem like a protest of sorts at times. She also seems to do it in anticipation or excitement and is normally preceded by her licking her mouth.

Anyone have the "official" information on this?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts