Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure there are probably a few who already know of my two dobes, Winston and Spencer. We've been around for a while. Winston turned 7 on Dec. 28th and Spencer turned 6 on Oct. 28th.

Yes, I was one of the inexperienced Doberman owners who decided to get two males and fortunately for me, things have worked relatively well.....not without a few tense moments but luckily not anything of significance. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone but I am of the belief that I've made this choice and I have to deal with it the best way I know. So I have made sacrifices and am ALWAYS VIGILANT where the two of them are concerned....i.e., they are both neutered....are not allowed alone together, are not allowed to run together etc...anything that I know will set them up for failure.

Now, that being said, my boys are extremely important in my life. I live alone and they are my constant companions. It's amazing the extreme diversity in their personalities....Spencer is a Dobe and Winston....well, the verdict is still out on him but I think he's a Golden in a Dobe's body!!! LOL He absolutely loves everyone and everything and is a good ambassador for the breed....however, he does need to curb his enthusiasm a bit as not everyone feels the same way!!! LOL Spencer is very protective of me and has had a few altercations with other dogs (people just can't grasp the leash laws around here and think it's quite funny to see their dogs take on a Doberman :mad: ) and so despite behavioural therapy, he is dog-aggressive. Winston on the other hand, doesn't even notice (or pretends not to !!!) if a dog is showing aggression to him.....it's all a matter of 'let's be friends':dancing_b I could keep going on with examples of their completely different personalities but I don't think anyone has the time!!! lol

I've had my fair share of health issues with the boys, thyroid, vWD, start of hip dysplasia and am learning as I go along. They are both registered in the cardio program at the University of Guelph and have been for 4 yrs now. I try to be a responsible owner in every way that I can but mostly I do these things because I totally love my boys.

I've been told on more than one occasion that they are spoiled rotten, and I guess maybe they are a little bit ...lol...but I think that what I get from them is more than I could ever give back. I'm sure most people feel this way...at least I hope so.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
awww lol boys will be boys! You seem to be a wonderful owner! Im so sorry about the share of health issues you have with your boys I bet they are happy to have an owner as dedicated to them as you! Well it is great to know more about you now! and look forward to hearing more from you! Like you probably know everyone here loves to see pictures and videos of everyones dobes as well as stories!

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Hey i have been a dobe owner for nigh on 20 years i know exactly where you are coming from,i'm just glad your boys have got a responsible owner.
I have gone in totally the opposite direction to you i have got all females(including the wife:) )but i find the same thing, Tia is totally dog friendly but Amber (alpha female)no way will she allow another dog within 10 foot,Chelsie can take or leave them she meets aggression with aggression and play with play.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Hi Dobes2kh,
Like Brumwolf I've had Dobies for quite a while too. I'm looking for Dobie number 4 1/2 right now.
I may be wrong, but I think it's impossible to spoil a Doberman.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hi there, I also know what you mean about boys.. But unlike you i dont have two dobes. I have a 7 year old male pit/boxer, a 2 year male cocker, and now a 9 week dobe.
My pit gets after my dobe for bitting to hard on his ears and other areas. But so far no fights yet. just gotta wait til he gets bigger then my pit then the rough houseing MIGHT start. i know my cocker thinks hes king of the house. My pit can be a push over though, he lets my cocker walk all over him.
But hey.. i love my boys and all of em are spoiled.
Good luck with your babys. It might be differnt with two male dobes, im not sure at all LOL. since my baby is the first dobe ive had.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Hello and welcome to Doberman Talk. I'm so glad to see you are so committed to your boys through adversity and health issues. We can only hope for a day when all breeders will work for vWd and hip displasia among other health issues to bred out. Hey I always hope for the best, no matter how improbable is it :)

Please check out our Town Hall section and feel free to add in your experiences!

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. I guess you can see that I have 4 dobermans..1 male and 3 females. now the girls can be a handful at times.. Raven thinks she is queen of the house but really she isn't and we have had a couple of bad fights! But we love out dogs and would do anything for them! Welcome again to the forum!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
welcome to the site. So glad you found us. I'm on my second dobe and his personality is so different than the first.

Also glad to hear that there are more folks out their whose dogs have SRD (Spoiled Rotten Dobe). My Apollo is severly afflicte lol

again welcome, I doubt you'll find a better group of dobe addicts anywhere.

cc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts