Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Hemi :)
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just moved into a new house about 4 months ago and just recently brought my cat to live here about 2 weeks ago, she finally got used to the house but now we got a puppy and she seems to hide most of the time. Is there any good way to get them to know eachother. Hemi's a playful little pup, its just the cat ( Bean ) im worried about.
Any suggestions?

:) Thankss

·
Beam Me Up, Scotty
189 Posts
I had had Gunnar for a little over a year and we adopted a cat, I put the dog in his crate for a while and let the cat roam freely. After the cat had settled (a few hours) I brought my pup out on a lead and let him 'smell' the kitty. I told him to sit as to not scare the cat, and well, they never harm each other on purpose, but the cat definitely runs from Gunnar as he likes to romp around the house not really paying attention as to where he is going.

Not really sure my post helped, more of story telling.... I'm sorry, try playing with them both together? I use a lazer pointer and both cat and dog chase after it!

Best of luck!

Reactions: Nubis'sDad

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks :) so far they just stare at eachother one on the couch n one behind the wall..im sure Bean will come around she used to live with another dog at my moms house, i think its because Hemi's a pup n hes a ball of energy that shes not used to.

Hope for the best

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Good luck with it.
When i got my first dobe, years ago, I had 3 cats. 1/3 of the cats warmed up to him about 6 months later and they would sleep together. The other 2, no way, only tolerated him.

I have the same issue now, 1/3 likes Nubis, although they dont sleep together yet, unless Nubis is totally bagged. lol. Nubis has a high prey drive, so it is challenging.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I crate Dreizehn at night and the crate is in a spare guest room. When my boyfriend got his kitten we put all of his stuff in the room that Dreizehn is crated in so that they could get to know each other safely. The cat could approached Dreizehn's crate without fear of Dreizehn trying to chase him and Dreizehn was able to get used to the cat. It worked pretty well for us. He will still try to chase the cat from time to time simply because he loves to chase anything.

A strong "leave it" also helps.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Judah loves my two cats but they do not always love her. She has been around them since she was 9 weeks old but even now at one year she sometimes gets too rough. She wants to put her paws on them and that is something they will and should not tolerate. It works fine as long as I am always present to control the situation. In fact one of the cats, Zoey sleeps with Judah and I without any problems what so ever. I would suggest you continue to let them interact in a controlled safe enviroment where you can intervene at anytime should things get out of control. I think you cat will make up with your puppy on his own terms as long as he feels safe. Best of luck.

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
there is usually someone home at all times to make sure they get along, im sure in time things will be fine she'll warm up to Hemi eventually, shes pretty much a dog herself lol if he ever does get rough with her im sure she'll give him a swat n he wont try it again she has her claws still..thats what im worried about

·
Registered
36 Posts
We are struggling with the dog-cat relationship. Duncan is 3 mo and the kitty is VERY exciting. We did slow controlled intros, and that was fine, but once they each became comfortable Duncan decided it was game on and the cat seemed like a fine playmate...he just doesn't get that he can't play too rough! We keep a very close eye, strong "leave it", and to the best of our ability never let him chase, but it is really tough. The cat isn't (unfortunately?) afraid-I'm kind of wishing the cat would give him a good hard knock or two to keep puppy a little more cautious. We'll press on, puppy class starts this week, so I'm hoping they have some ideas too.

·
nutsaboutmydobes
2,122 Posts
When we got our first dobe Eddie at 5 months old we already had a cat that had lived happily with a GSD. She never got a grip with the dobe though & spent the majority of the time avoiding him. When she did see him she'd run hell for leather to safety which only increased his interest in her. :D She did mellow out but it took her a long long time. A few years later we adopted another cat & as soon as we introduced the cat to the dobes (we had two by this point) he hissed & spat & fluffed himself up like a powderpuff & the dogs backed down immediately. They became firm friends over the years but any unwanted dober nosepokes resulted in a smack round the nose from the cat lol. They loved each other though & the cat would regularly sleep on Eddie's back. Remember though even if a dobe lives with a cat quite happily the chances are that they'll still want to chase the neighbourhood cats as my two did.
The only advice I can give you is strictly supervise their meetings, don't allow pup to get too boisterous around kitty & most importantly make sure that kitty has an escape route if it all gets too much.
Remember, cats have sharp teeth & claws & can defend themselves quite nicely from an unwanted doberpup nosepoke:roflmao:
Good luck & I hope your dobe & kitty have the same loving friendship that my Eddie & Billy had.

·
Registered
44 Posts
We have two cats one a 10 year old 5 lb black female who is scared of herself and a 7 year old 20lb white and black male barn cat that was an outdor cat and has sense been brought indoors thats head is so massive it looks like a football when he was an outside cat he fought anything and everything including a coyote. Josey with her pup brain thinks the cats are play toys the female usually runs away the male stands his ground and puts the hammer to her. He is being good about it and keeps his claws in. It still sounds like she's getting hit by a belt. Although that said they all sleep within a couple feet of each other. She'll eventually learn. ;)

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I have four cats. Two are seniors who aren't afraid to put a dog in it's place. I know one spent a lot of time with dogs and the other I'm guessing so. My third cat LOVED my Cocker Spaniel. LOVED, LOVED, LOVED. She HATES Ivan. Wants nothing to do with him. My fourth cat had never lived with a dog. If he has an option to run, he will. If running isn't an option, he'll tolerate being around Ivan. There's no hissing, swatting, or anything like that, but I know he'd rather Ivan wasn't around. Because my two senior cats do so well with dogs, most of my attention was teaching Ivan to leave it. If my cats want to be friends or not with Ivan it's up to them.

·
Got mutt?
13,820 Posts
One big thing is to make sure the cat has a safe, dog-free place they can retreat to. I live with 7 cats in the house, and 1 outdoors. I also have 2 dogs and a puppy. The cats need to know the can get away from the dogs when they want to. However, it is not unusual for me to see both dogs and a cat or two asleep on my bed.

When my Rattie was a puppy, he was a pest towards the cats, always chasing them. One day, when he was about nine months old, one of my girl kitties cornered him in the kitchen, and proceeded to put the fear of feline into him. He will still chase them if the they are outside, but inside, he is very good with them. He and my oldest male cat frequently lover on each other,

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
alot of great advice thanks alot guys :) we had some progress today they sat on the same couch together for a little while lol which makes me happy im sure they will be best friends all in good time

·
Registered
414 Posts
We introduced gus to my room mate's cat by doing what patchwork said, putting the cat in a room with the dog in the crate. I also had gus on a leash and the cat was walking around freely and I would give gus a treat (like a really good treat) whenever he looked at the cat and didn't react. that worked well too. good luck :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts