Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I joined the forum almost a year ago, but until now haven't actively posted and well basically forgot to introduce myself to everyone! Though who cares about me it's the dog that matters ;):lol2: and trust me this will be long!

I'm sam though, currently working as a vet assistant, kennel hand at a clinic and pet resort, and doing the website and fb stuff for a vet/breeder in Wisconsin. 2 years in April and I love it, especially all the time around my girls extended family, and puppy overnights!

Maybelline aka Mabel was born May 01,2010, from a litter of 9, mostly girls and only 2 or 3 black and tan. Sadly I remember the sister my boss kept, aptly named mayhem, and a now purchased puppy named Memphis the most, but not much of my girl until much later in her life, but then again when one is bitting you in the butt and the other full throttle jumping on you, who remembers the good one ;).
She and mayhem where kept until 7 1/2-8 months of age both as the top pick puppies of the litter: social, confident, nice high drive, and quick learners. My boss upon deciding on Mayhem sold mabel to a man who had been content to wait until she made her decision and take the later puppy.

My sweet goofy girl was gone an approx. week and a half-2 weeks and then came back for an obedience lesson, for not pooping on a leash (something I'm personally fond of as I DO have a fenced yard, and my dogs always "go" in only their yard and certain other destinations)
One hour lesson later the man "forgot his phone in the car" and just ran away.
Mabel had officially been dumped. :(:(
I didn't work until the next day and the second I heard the story my heart just broke......she came home that night, and started her failed foster journey.
I have yet to see a dog so terrified in my life of just...well life!
From the moment she stepped through my door she didn't stop shaking for a day and a half. Within the week she had warmed up enought to be near my mom and sister....my dad, well to put it frankly and at one point literally. Scared the **** out of her.
Other dogs, strangers, men above all else, and sudden noises all of it frightened her.
Over the next few months she tooks leaps, bounds, and small steps in the right and occasional wrong direction with guidance from my old dog, a 12 yr old lab, and Even at one point requiring Gabapentin (the biggest help of all) It's been 4 weeks since she last had any medication, 1 month since she has had a dog fight, or snapped/reacted at anyone (including my dad), and 6 months since her stint of nipping people in an attempt to "get them before they get me"

She is still a work in progress today, and I will never know what he did or didn't do to and with her :confused:, but I am proud to say that with the help of the gabapentin especially, which allowed her to be less reactive and think before doing, as well as daily and highly consistent training Mabel is:

-the stand for exam short of being able to get an OB title both off and on leash,
-entering an agility class in the late spring with almost complete 2x2 weaves
-will willingly climb into my dads lap when he is sitting as well as watch and allow him to enter the house, and overall go about normal life
-she is still aprehensive of strangers but women are very easy to warm up too, especially with food, and men are ok as long as they dont acknowledge her aka I sniff you but you can't look or talk to me!
(not my end goal but a large leap from the beginning & one of many issues that are a work in progress)
- she can play when off leash with other dogs ( still working on on leash),
-consistently "watch" 's me when we are out in public 80% of the time,
-has only had minimal and very few reactive outbursts when out,

and is finally returning to the confident, beautiful, and normal dog she was before she was returned!

She wasn't anything I ever asked for or even thought I wanted until she fell into my lap but now that she's here there's nothing I would ever change!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
First off I love love LOVE her name. I didn't realize there was more then just Mabel.

I'm so glad she found someone like you to take care of her and love her. From the pictures she looks like she loves her life with you. I admire people like you who take the time and patience to help dogs like her. She's lucky to have you and I'm sure in time she'll be right where you want her to be.

How anyone can dump a dog is just beyond me. I couldn't even bring myself to even think of doing something like that so thank you for giving her a home and saving her :)

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First off I love love LOVE her name. I didn't realize there was more then just Mabel.

I'm so glad she found someone like you to take care of her and love her. From the pictures she looks like she loves her life with you. I admire people like you who take the time and patience to help dogs like her. She's lucky to have you and I'm sure in time she'll be right where you want her to be.

How anyone can dump a dog is just beyond me. I couldn't even bring myself to even think of doing something like that so thank you for giving her a home and saving her :)
:thanx: her breeder does aplphabetical litters and named her after the cosmetic :rolleyesww: and her sister the insurance commercials!!

She is definatly my baby....and I thought the lab was clingy! Oye!, She'll only be 2 this may so the dober teen years were a large part of some of our set backs, but my hope and the goal I keep telling myself is "By the time she's 3..."

I will never understand it either, he seemed so prepared to love with one heck of a blinged out name tag, and expensive!!! martha stewart collar and leash set, plus the price he paid for her in the first place....and he never even asked for a refund/answered phone calls and emails/ or called to explain. So all we know is what he said to get the lesson which may or may not be true, wouldnt poop on leash and he had unfenced yard so she went in the house, and he worked in chicago but lived in kenosha so he had no time/ she wouldn't listen to his father who let her out during the day.
The want to confront him :bash: and just find out what he did has been a hard urge to fight considering his address is still in our clinic record system......but I know it wouldn't be worth it and I have to live in the present just like I'm teaching her too.
Over the summer, I can tell life isn't as hard for her anymore...she naps less! haha

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
:thanx: her breeder does aplphabetical litters and named her after the cosmetic :rolleyesww: and her sister the insurance commercials!!

She is definatly my baby....and I thought the lab was clingy! Oye!, She'll only be 2 this may so the dober teen years were a large part of some of our set backs, but my hope and the goal I keep telling myself is "By the time she's 3..."

I will never understand it either, he seemed so prepared to love with one heck of a blinged out name tag, and expensive!!! martha stewart collar and leash set, plus the price he paid for her in the first place....and he never even asked for a refund/answered phone calls and emails/ or called to explain. So all we know is what he said to get the lesson which may or may not be true, wouldnt poop on leash and he had unfenced yard so she went in the house, and he worked in chicago but lived in kenosha so he had no time/ she wouldn't listen to his father who let her out during the day.
The want to confront him :bash: and just find out what he did has been a hard urge to fight considering his address is still in our clinic record system......but I know it wouldn't be worth it and I have to live in the present just like I'm teaching her too.
Over the summer, I can tell life isn't as hard for her anymore...she naps less! haha
I like the alphabetical name idea!

I'm terrified of the dober teens! I swear he's already a monster haha

I don't blame you for wanting to confront him. I'd want to give him a piece of my mind too and she's not even mine! Being the bigger person is the way to go. He's clearly not worth it.

She definitely looks happier. You can just tell by looking at her so great job! I look forward to hearing more about her and watching her turn into a wonderful dog.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd say poor Mabel but she found you so I think she's pretty lucky. Welcome, officially, to DT :]
My thoughts exactly!

And here I used to think these dogs are nice but Dobermans just aren't for me, Now i'll never go without having at least one! :roflmao: :p :D

Btw, Driezehn is super handsome! Your very lucky! Mabels dad loves that toy he has too! Only in red :)

Reactions: Sherryh

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the alphabetical name idea!

I'm terrified of the dober teens! I swear he's already a monster haha

I don't blame you for wanting to confront him. I'd want to give him a piece of my mind too and she's not even mine! Being the bigger person is the way to go. He's clearly not worth it.

She definitely looks happier. You can just tell by looking at her so great job! I look forward to hearing more about her and watching her turn into a wonderful dog.
She got it when she first started breeding when she realized how easy it made things for the Europeans!
And exactly, he isn't worth the gas to go, and it was a year the first week of January since I got her so just plain not worth dredging up the past at that point!
And good luck! It'll be an interesting and crazy time in both your lives but well worth it! :p

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lucky Mabel and Lucky you!! More photos please!!!
Oh most definately!!! Progress reports too!
There are a ton in my gallery right now of the goofus and her family both true relative, including her half nieces and nephews that were born this past may :chubbycheeks:, and non realted household members and most aren't even new!
I'll have to try and do another photo shoot of her awake soon :roflmao:

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
There are angels that are sent down to save us in our darkest hour......you saved Mabel. I truly believe that sometimes a doberman comes into our life to save us. That was my case..........Thank you for having your patience and heart you will be blessed!! Thank you !!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome!
Now make me some cookies! :D
Day late and a dollar short aye noxers ;) and use your manners! no please..no people cake and dog cookies :p

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What the heck is this haha?

I already said hi :) way before NOX :p
IDK! lol it says page under construction and is not even related...

And well she is always lagging behind ;) typical Nox :lol2:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts