Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello DT I want to introduce you to my new pound puppy, MAKO of AWESOME!

Thursday March 8th Mako was “owner surrendered” to an animal shelter.

I had been calling local shelters, they told me they had gotten one in who was still unavailable to the public (24 hour holding) but, I was welcomed to come see him.

Upon seeing him I was shocked with surprise he was every bit of a thick boned, European looking, black-rust, all natural, 4 year old dober boy who looked 15lbs. underweight. I was instantly in love with him but, trying to keep my cool and not get overly excited as the other Dobermans I had a meet and greet with were not compatible with my existing dober female.

They took Mako outside to play with me in the fenced area. On the way out, all the dogs barked and growled, Mako just stood there not even flinching, looking away from the others. I was impressed with his steadiness, very impressed! He was instantly in love with me as well it was obvious! I noticed in his kennel he had a few uneaten milk bones, when I offered him one he gently took it. I filled out the adoption application that day (to assure I would be first in line for him) and told them I would be back tomorrow with my family, Kira Hime included to meet him. Things went amazingly well at the “meet and greet” with the family and “The Kira!”

Mako was to be neutered on Monday the 12th thus allowing us to bring him home to “The First Day of His New Life!” The shelter was having a half price adoption special, the best $45.00 I ever spent!

We brought him to the front door of his new home, Kira greeted us in her usual “I’m happy your home but, I just woke up and got off your bed” stride. Then she realized we had Mako with us! Oh my gawd, I thought her little butt was going to wiggle off her body! She was so ecstatic to see him! It was a beautiful reunion and my eyes were glad to witness it! I knew at that moment I had done something wonderful for both dobes!

I had already posted a bit of the good news on DT under where I was, “looking for a dobe to “rescue” or adopt.” Unfortunately I was attacked by one member for bringing home one from a shelter and discouraged by another for even considering one. So they pretty much killed my excitement to even write about him until now. I didn’t listen to there negative advise and hope other potential people who are looking to adopt one from a shelter are not “discouraged” by DT members as well.

Mako healed a ridiculously 2 weeks slow at his neuter site, with swelling and bleeding. We were back to the vet 3 times for a safe check up, I was so worried. Kira slept nose to nose with him and refused to let us close the crate door with him in it. It was a sight to see and hear! Everything is better with him now, maybe his age or he might have VWD who knows. He’s going to our vet this month for a better exam. He appears to have been in a crate for long periods. I am no expert but there were a few “boredom licking spots” on his front paw with obvious “time invested” and one on his back flank. Both are healed now but the scar remains. He also had the scratch or rub on the top of his nose (this is also gone) and his back appears to be a bit curved. I am guessing his cage was too small and never got a good chance to stretch out… Poor boy…

Mako really wanted to belong to this family as soon as he stepped into the door. I didn’t separate them or introduce him slowly into our lives. It’s been hands on to learn quickly where his boundaries were and how he needed to be helped improving. He bonded with his new daddy and is referred to as “daddy’s boy,” however he never skimps on a moment to either give or receive attention from any of us! He does this cute sitting and thrashing his head from side to side thing while smiling and “snarfing” to get attention, I call it, “sharky” because he sounds like a shark and his name is Mako = Mako Shark?

Mako had some food aggression problems; growling, chasing Kira off, putting all the chew’s inside “his” crate & guarding them with LOTS of TEETH SHOWING! I’m guessing because he was underweight and had not lived with another dog??? I put two feeding bowls down & worked to resolve the problem successfully! He’s put on a solid 10 lbs. and realizes, “I WILL NEVER BE HUNGRY AGAIN” which I’m sure helps. They even share leftovers from the same plate and drink at the same time from one bowl

I decided to take away the crate as he was VERY PROTECTIVE inside of it and Kira kept sticking her cute lil’ pea head in and making him angry. I am assuming she wanted to annoy him AND take back some of the chews and toys. Anyways the crate disappeared and all is solved! Thankfully he’s not destructive (well the toys get no mercy) and he behaves wonderfully when were gone, which is only about 1 or 2 hours a day.

However things couldn’t be more harmonious within my household! Mako has a playful dober sister, adoring loving family who spoil him with love, great food, treats, toys and security! Kira Hime has a playmate, companion and another protector. They sleep soundly, touching one another, even share the bed with me at night! MAKO SNORES LIKE A BEAR and has assumed the middle of the bed with his new sister! They play fight all day long, in and out of the house! They love jumping on the bed (and on me) giving each other a dobe smack down. Kira has some amazing “Matrix Dobe Moves” where Mako was completely unskilled. He’s learned quickly and now holds his own! His recall is 95% off leash only to be distracted if Kira is distracted. He shows no dog aggression and loves Kira’s best Fur Friend “Ruby” as well! We spend everyday going for a hike between 1-2 hours with Ruby in the trails. Yesterday we ran into a woman with 5 poodles off leash, all was good! Mako is also a swimming DOBERMAN woo hoo I have two swimmers!

I am honored to be his mom and to have him as a perfect member of my family. He’s the sweetest, most gentle, calm dog I have ever seen!

Thanks for reading.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Bless you for your generous heart and opening your home to this boy. What a wonderful story and I could not be happier for you guys. Sounds like you all were made for each other. Thank you for sharing your wonderful story of success.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
MAKO now has a secure roof over his head, plenty of eats and water / a GF in Kira and the most LOVING, Mom & Dad.
- I would say his LIFE is great
What an wonderful story of canine dedication...and seeing the short behavior issues and addressing them completely (using your doggy smarts).

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Congratulations and bless you for opening your heart and home to Mako.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Congratulations on your new boy! Definitely need more pics of Mako and Kira!! :)

Jan

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I WANT TO THANK EVERYONE ON DT FOR OPENING MY EYES TO ADOPTING DOBERMANS! I HONESTLY NEVER CONSIDERED DOING THIS BECAUSE I DIDN'T BELIEVE THE DOBE WOULD BOND WITH ME. I CAN NOW SAY I WILL ALWAYS HAVE A SHELTER DOBERMAN IN MY HOME FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE!

Yes, the photo of him eating his sisters head... well lets just say he get's her's a lot deeper then she gets his in her mouth... I think he's part python or lion :p

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Your story makes me so happy.
Clearly your Doberman experience made this a smooth transition for all members of the family. Thank you for opening your heart & home to an older dog. I am certain Mako is going to love every minute in his new home.

Please keep us updated on his progress. (I brought home a rescue 9 days ago, and am encouraged that someone else is working through the transition.)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts