Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up this little guy on August 5th to foster for a local rescue group. He was dumped in a rural area outside of Houston. After 3 years of fostering, I finally became a foster failure.

His name is Koa (pronounced like Noah, but with a K). It means bold, brave and fearless in Hawaiian. I have an 10.5 year old Dobe named Kai so I wanted to stick with K's and a Hawaiian name. And this pup approaches everything in life as brave and fearless!

After Koa stole my heart, I had his ears cropped with Dr. Crouch at Grand Park on August 10. We've been seeing her staff often for all after care and re-tapes. About 4 weeks ago he developed a pocket in his left ear. GP uses the rolled paper towel method so they just inserted gauze and cotton between the towel post and the ear to push out the pocket. This past Saturday when we went for a retape I did not notice any improvement in the pocket and it also appears that his right ear is starting a pocket. So I decided to take matters into my own hands and went through Zephyr's backer rod with bumpers tutorial (which is excellent by the way!) I also just happened to have the red vetwrap on hand.

My question is, since GP uses a brace that I now know that its part of the problem, are his ears positioned properly after using the backer rod method? His left ear also tips forward a bit. Also, for those of you who used this method with pockets, did it correct it? If so, after how long did you notice any improvement?

Here are a few pictures from last night.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I had a problem with one of Parkers ears leaning forward. Discovered the problem was from placing the tape too low on the base of his ear. Place the tape level with the top of his head when you wrap the lower part of the ear. I do advise you not to use the vet wrap as it continues to tighten over time and can cut the circulation off to the ear. With the bumper method, the ears should be in a 11:00 and 1:00 or 10:00 and 2:00 position. Either of those positions should correct the pockets within one or two postings. Ha ha, we love foster failures here.:) You have a handsome boy there.

·
Super Moderator
21,896 Posts
How adorable is he? Thanks for adopting.

Reactions: Dobiewankanobi

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Using a brace is not a problem, I always brace - its how you position it that can be the problem! The pockets, as Linda said, comes from placing the tape in the wrong place or from the bottom of the rod sticking out of the ear and not fixing it.

Something that will help with the pocket is either placing an extra brace rod inside the ear as I think you had done or a cotton ball, either works. It usually corrects itself pretty quick, several tapings but depends on how bad the pocket is also. However, I usually do it for a couple of weeks until the ear looks perfect and stays that way.

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a problem with one of Parkers ears leaning forward. Discovered the problem was from placing the tape too low on the base of his ear. Place the tape level with the top of his head when you wrap the lower part of the ear. I do advise you not to use the vet wrap as it continues to tighten over time and can cut the circulation off to the ear. With the bumper method, the ears should be in a 11:00 and 1:00 or 10:00 and 2:00 position. Either of those positions should correct the pockets within one or two postings. Ha ha, we love foster failures here.:) You have a handsome boy there.
Thanks for your help LindaH! I'll try to make sure I place the tape level with his head. I also removed the vet wrap.

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Using a brace is not a problem, I always brace - its how you position it that can be the problem! The pockets, as Linda said, comes from placing the tape in the wrong place or from the bottom of the rod sticking out of the ear and not fixing it.

Something that will help with the pocket is either placing an extra brace rod inside the ear as I think you had done or a cotton ball, either works. It usually corrects itself pretty quick, several tapings but depends on how bad the pocket is also. However, I usually do it for a couple of weeks until the ear looks perfect and stays that way.
How do you position the brace properly? I can tell he probably could use some light bracing as sometimes he has a little trouble keeping the ears at 10 and 2 or 11 and 1. Sometimes they go a little further downward. Thanks again!

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My pup has the same name - with the same Hawaiian intent :) Too bad we didn't live closer, they could be pals!
Yay! Another Koa! Too cute!

Reactions: KoaRad

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Introducing Koa and an Ear Question-*UPDATE*

Just a quick update to let you know.....WE HAVE PROGRESS! :boldyellow:

I retaped his ears on the evening of 9/27 using the bumper method. Because I was so dang curious, I took them down last night to see how they were doing. Still need work, but I'm very encouraged to see that using the bumpers is absolutely helping. And so quickly! I was just amazed. Thanks again for all of your help!

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Before and After

Here are the befores (top row) and afters.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Yeaaa, so much better!!! You did great!! The bumpers work magic, I would use them for another taping or two to make sure all is well!! As far a bracing, did you still need that question answered?

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeaaa, so much better!!! You did great!! The bumpers work magic, I would use them for another taping or two to make sure all is well!! As far a bracing, did you still need that question answered?
Yes please! The only way I know how to brace is to take the a long strip of Zonas tape, fold it in half and then figure 8 it around the base of the ears. I can do that again, but I think I'm more concerned with the proper position of the brace. Those bumpers are fantastic!! Can't believe I saw so much improvement in such a short amount of time. I'll keep using the bumper method for a while to make sure everything is good.

·
Super Moderator
21,896 Posts
Huge improvement already! Keep at it.

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
he has an adorable face! no wonder you failed as a foster! lol .. thanks for giving him a great home!

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So posting with bumpers is mostly going well. Still having issues with the left ear leaning foward toward the snout. I've taped level with his head, but after 5 minutes that one ear is tipping forward again. Also, even though I'm stretching the left ear as far as I can, it still appears shorter when not stretched.

Is there anything I can do to prevent the ear from tipping forward? Is there any hope for the ear stretching back so that they look even? The thing is that they ARE even. The vet says he'll always have that pocket. Will continuing to tape with bumpers until its gone work? Or do I need to accept its permanent?

Here's a poor quality picture, but this is what I'm talking about.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts