Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

First off, I want to apologize in advance in the event my questions have already been answered. I looked but couldn't find anything addressing int'l flights.

So, I'm wondering if anyone here has taken their Dobie on int'l flights. I'm talking 15-20+ hours. I'll likely be relocating from Japan to the US and would like to come up with a smart plan.

I may be able to stop overnight on the west coast, however, my ultimate destination will be on the east coast.

Any info on your experiences is greatly appreciated.

:thanx:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't have any personal experience with this but I thought I would bump this up. I would check with the airlines and make sure they fly live animals and then maybe try to break up the trip and stay overnight somewhere along the way in a pet friendly hotel so your dobe doesn't spend too much time alone in the crate. The airlines might not fly animals in cargo at certain times of the year when it would be too hot or too cold.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
You're leaving soon?

I once saw the foreigners were in the check-in counter with a Shephard in a crate at the Narita Airport. I thought they left Japan with their dog.
Just for your info, this is the ANA's regulations.
For passengers traveling with pets | ANA

My Elza travelled by plane only in domestic, from Centrair(breeder) to Sendai(me).

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I met a guy on a hotel shuttle in Seattle that was moving to Japan. He had a large lab with him. He was living in North Carolina. He flew from NC to Seattle...spent 1-2 nights at a hotel and then flew to Japan. So it can be done...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Working for a major airline in the cargo department look up IPATA.org. I would highly recommend going through an accredited shipper to help make your arrangements. They can at the very least help with questions on what you need to have for your pets international move. With a little research and planning it should be a smooth one. Good luck on your move, what an experience.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I would get support and not only talk to airlines. I heard that there are big differences in quality because the pets are loaded into the cargo hold and it can get very cold or hot in there. I saw a statistic a couple of months ago about deaths in airline transported animals, uggh.
But first and foremost I would make sure what the immigration laws / quarantine laws are.
Pettravel.com
Petairways.com
Flypets.com
Happy Tails Travel

·
Registered
771 Posts
I did not start this thread, but thanks everyone for the information. My husband and I may be going to Germany sometime next year for the Military.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts