Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have new neighbors 2nd house from us they have a male intact 2 & 1/2 year old Dobe.Then the neighbors next to them had a reddish colored Lab they moved and gave the Lab to the neighbors with the Dobe because they played so well though the fence. They now have the intact male Dobe & the intact male Lab together in the back yard.They seem to play together well I did notice the Dobe was the dominate one over the Lab.Just wondering if it is the honey moon period or if they will always get along? The man told me this Dobe was his fourth Dobe he has had 2 females and a male now this male.Talked like they had another dog in the house a Cocker Spaniel male that stays in the house mostly,it bites they said the Dobe would bite too if some one stuck their hand over the fence.
They were interested in taking the Dobe to obedience classes asked me if at 2 & 1/2 years old was too old. I told them no a dog could go at any age they had thought about Pets Mart & Pet co I told them where I go would be cheaper & better.Was I wrong to tell them the Dobe could go at any age?
Patches Mom

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
I adopted my Weim at 17 months old and he was a handful....I got him in a class immediately. In Petey's obedience class there was a older dog who tried to bite the trainer on day one....the dog ended up doing really great by graduation. They used a gentle leader collar on her.

Carol

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I don't think its ever too old to start obedience. My mom will do obedience with the untrained shelter dogs are young adults and they pick up on stuff just fine :)

I don't know about how the two intact males relationship works...maybe its just cause they dont live together...or cause they are different breeds.

Why do they keep their dogs intact? eeeeerrrrrr lol do they think it's "manly" to not get them neutered and not take his "manhood" haha lol I always hate those kind of owners haha :( or have they just not gotten around to it?

·
I Art Therefore I Am
3,813 Posts
Why do they keep their dogs intact? eeeeerrrrrr lol do they think it's "manly" to not get them neutered and not take his "manhood" haha lol I always hate those kind of owners haha :( or have they just not gotten around to it?

I hate to admit this, but my parents are like that. I *think* it's a combination of being frugal (okay... cheap) and that they think it's unecessary because they are small dogs who are almost always indoors.

It's SOoooooo irresponsible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.