Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Neat test... Some of the questions I had to give a best guess answer because I've not allowed Chi opportunities to ellicit certain reactions - like (does your dog fight with other dogs - she gets along fine with Petri but she has exhibited dog aggressive behaviors on lead, so I've not given her the chance to possibly fight with other dogs).
Here are her scores: Your dog's drives: Prey = 90 Pack = 35 Defense - Fight = 50 : Defense - Flight = 20

So this means she's pretty prey driven and is morely likely to fight than flee? What about pack? What does that tell us?

·
Registered
288 Posts
That is a neat test. Like you I had to best guess. Gunner is the only dog and I don't give him the oppertunity for some things when out. But he had a prey drive of 80 pack of 60 defense fight of 45 and defensse flight of 25.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
This is Chelsie's results and i am shocked.Prey = 65 Pack = 30 Defense - Fight = 70 Defense - Flight = 25

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Here is Petri's scores: Prey = 35 Pack = 50 Defense - Fight = 25 Defense - Flight = 45
LD, have you filled this out for CoCo yet? I'm kind of curious to see how the different breeds compare to the Dobes.
I think it's pretty neat that so far all of our dogs have a higher score in fight than flight (though, I guess a Dobe that would rather run wouldn't be much of a protector, eh? :)

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Oh yeah!i forgot Ill post the numbers in a second!:)

Coco's numbers
Prey = 15
Pack = 30
Defense - Fight = 45
Defense - Flight = 65

I thought see the question "Does your dog get picked on by other dogs" cause it is soo difficult to keep duchess from picking on coco...she wears a harness with a 30ft lead attached so we can stop her from doing it. Coco will just want to run inside. :(

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Da'Kari's is:

Prey = 60
Pack = 75
Defense - Fight = 55
Defense - Flight = 10

This is Nash, but he is still young, not sure if that will change:

Prey = 30
Pack = 55
Defense - Fight = 30
Defense - Flight = 5

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
My two
The younger one: Your dog's drives Prey = 50 Pack = 85 Defense Fight = 50 Defense - Flight = 0
The older one: Your dog's drives Prey = 70 Pack = 80 Defense Fight = 40 Defense - Flight = 20

Here is more about the test: http://www.volhard.com/training/cpp.htm

·
Registered
144 Posts
Being that my dog is still a pup, I don't think his "drives" are fully developed yet. I'll try this again in 6 months!

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Oh, Toro has drives. =) Didn't you say he loves to chase things and pulls on lead, making it hard to walk him? You can still do the test and answer the questions with his natural instincts. It is just a fun test.

You can test out drives and see drives from the time they are small puppies, I know of at least one test that is out there to assess a litter. It is interesting seeing all the different drives, personalities, and other things in a litter of Dobes.

I know my male's drive as a puppy were much different from my female's. He would chase ANYTHING that moved, she has lots of drive, but doesn't feel the need to chase cars (thankfully). I have modified my male's high prey drive with lots of training. But that doesn't mean it isn't still there. Just like I don't let them jump up on the counter and they never try it anymore, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't if given the chance. I know they would and have trained them not to.

The test might not tell you everything and be totally accurate, and yes, sometimes they do change as they get to be adults and have more experience with the world, but some drives can been seen from a young age pretty consistently.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Storm: Prey = 60 Pack = 40 Defense-Fight = 70 Defense-Flight = 25

Ava: Prey = 85 Pack = 55 Defense-Fight = 55 Defense-Flight = 35

This is really a game, considering it's my own untrained interpretation of their reactions/behaviors....and "sometimes" is pretty vague!

·
Registered
37 Posts
The validity of such tests depends on the honesty an and on the ability to watcht the dogs by their owners.

The result of mine is:

·
Registered
37 Posts
The validity of such tests depends on the honesty an and on the ability to watcht the dogs by their owners.

The result of mine is: prey 45, pack 50, fight 50 flight 0

·
Registered
144 Posts
dobesanddragons said:
Oh, Toro has drives. =) Didn't you say he loves to chase things and pulls on lead, making it hard to walk him? You can still do the test and answer the questions with his natural instincts. It is just a fun test.

You can test out drives and see drives from the time they are small puppies, I know of at least one test that is out there to assess a litter. It is interesting seeing all the different drives, personalities, and other things in a litter of Dobes.

I know my male's drive as a puppy were much different from my female's. He would chase ANYTHING that moved, she has lots of drive, but doesn't feel the need to chase cars (thankfully). I have modified my male's high prey drive with lots of training. But that doesn't mean it isn't still there. Just like I don't let them jump up on the counter and they never try it anymore, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't if given the chance. I know they would and have trained them not to.

The test might not tell you everything and be totally accurate, and yes, sometimes they do change as they get to be adults and have more experience with the world, but some drives can been seen from a young age pretty consistently.
Yeah, I agree he has drives, no doubt! I just meant that they seem to be getting stronger as he grows! He is finding his "voice", so to speak.

Here are his results. However, some questions could only be answered with speculation, such as "fighting with other dogs". I can only base on the fact that he "plays very aggressively", to the point where friends with other dogs have asked me to restrain him.

Toro's drives --- Prey = 55
Pack = 80
Defense - Fight = 55
Defense - Flight = 15

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
uggghhhh - y'all must have worn the site out, because I can't get in :-(

I will have to try later.

·
Registered
880 Posts
velmadobe said:
uggghhhh - y'all must have worn the site out, because I can't get in :-(

I will have to try later.

It came up for me np this morning, but after putting in the time and effort of checking off all the answers, the results page wouldn't load up for me :mad:

I"m gonna give it another try now. The first page did load ok.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts