Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've decided that Diesel can sense females in heat now and there must be one somewhere around us. For the past few days to about a week Diesel has been going crazy. Sitting by the door wanting to go out, being extra whinny, getting into trouble and driving mommy slightly insane :rolleyesww:

I have never owned an intact male past 6 months so this is very new to me and I need suggestions on how to make him chill out besides neutering him. I really want to wait till he's 2 before I have the boys cut off but it's going to be a long year and a couple months if he can't get it together and I can't help him relax. He just broke a dish in the kitchen (I was in there with him but he was behind me) because he's frustrated and I know he's tired because we were just out but he just can't settle down and it stinks because it's so hot outside that we can only be out for so long.

He gets plenty of exercise and mental stimulation but even when I know he's dead tired he's still wanting to go outside and when we're out he's marking everything and pulling me like crazy even with his prong on. Nothing is wrong with him health wise and he acts fine except his new "urges"

Any suggestions on how to keep my sanity would be greatly appreciated :D Also how long does this typically last?

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I have read that males can smell and bitch in heat up to 5 miles away so that is a large area - What we want and what we can live with can sometimes be two different things. I know that some great race horses had to be neutered because you could not handle them otherwise.

Also some males are more sensitive to it than others. There is really not much you can do and it can last for around 3 weeks. If he is real sensitive then he might only be really bad for the hottest time in her cycle (about 5 days). One can only hope.

Patience is about the best you can do and lots of extra activities and exercise to help tire him out.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have read that males can smell and bitch in heat up to 5 miles away so that is a large area - What we want and what we can live with can sometimes be two different things. I know that some great race horses had to be neutered because you could not handle them otherwise.

Also some males are more sensitive to it than others. There is really not much you can do and it can last for around 3 weeks. If he is real sensitive then he might only be really bad for the hottest time in her cycle (about 5 days). One can only hope.

Patience is about the best you can do and lots of extra activities and exercise to help tire him out.
I was afraid that was going to be the answer. I wish it wasn't so hot out then I think he'd be a little bit better.

Thank you!

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
I'm not sure because the puppies I've been dealing with are 11 months and just now are seeming to really become sensitive to this, but they also have not been acting 'crazy' otherwise. (Besides literally marking EVERYTHING). They've just been trying to get to the female in heat when you take them out to potty or train, but with a leave it command, you can get them refocused on training.

Have you trained him to 'settle' down? I use 'Go lay down' with Zeus when he's getting annoying and I want him calm down. It means he needs to go to his place and chill out. Have you been doing any training with him? I feel like it might be beneficial for him to go to some obedience classes and get mentally worn out, since he is using his brain to get into trouble. Although I train my boy at home as well, nothing wears him out like training at the facility.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure because the puppies I've been dealing with are 11 months and just now are seeming to really become sensitive to this, but they also have not been acting 'crazy' otherwise. (Besides literally marking EVERYTHING). They've just been trying to get to the female in heat when you take them out to potty or train, but with a leave it command, you can get them refocused on training.

Have you trained him to 'settle' down? I use 'Go lay down' with Zeus when he's getting annoying and I want him calm down. It means he needs to go to his place and chill out. Have you been doing any training with him? I feel like it might be beneficial for him to go to some obedience classes and get mentally worn out, since he is using his brain to get into trouble. Although I train my boy at home as well, nothing wears him out like training at the facility.
Diesel marks everything as well. We can't pass a tree or a bush without him peeing on it.

We do training daily at home, outside and other places for distractions. I actually do have plans to sign him up for a class so he can get his cgc. I train at home with him ever since I've had him but he has to go to a class to get that but that class doesn't start till August.

I haven't trained a settle down. He goes in his crate when he needs to calm down. He just knows that's his go to place when he needs to chill but even when he's exhausted he's still on edge and that's when he gets himself in trouble usually.

I try to get him as tired as possible but all he wants is to be outside and is so whinny which is what gets me. I don't mind the extra energy it's the constant whining to get outside and the second we go out he's on the hunt trying to find her.

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
Diesel marks everything as well. We can't pass a tree or a bush without him peeing on it.

We do training daily at home, outside and other places for distractions. I actually do have plans to sign him up for a class so he can get his cgc. I train at home with him ever since I've had him but he has to go to a class to get that but that class doesn't start till August.

I haven't trained a settle down. He goes in his crate when he needs to calm down. He just knows that's his go to place when he needs to chill but even when he's exhausted he's still on edge and that's when he gets himself in trouble usually.

I try to get him as tired as possible but all he wants is to be outside and is so whinny which is what gets me. I don't mind the extra energy it's the constant whining to get outside and the second we go out he's on the hunt trying to find her.
You say in the bold part "when he needs to" he does it himself. I would utilize this for when you need him to settle down for your sake. Obviously, if he smells a female, he does not think he should 'chill', and if it were my guy, I'd tell him to. Just like children don't know what they really need sometimes ;) You are entering monster stage and would probably benefit from it. I would also teach a 'quiet' command for excessive whining or barking, and of course redirecting with bones, toys, etc, may help.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Boy oh boy do I not envy you! Before we has Odin "done" we had a rather eventful obedience class! This class was majoritively males who were also not neutered! We were still trying to deal with Odin's male aggression at this point but all of the males were fighting with each other in this class, I couldn't understand it, it was like they had all gone crazy overnight! We found out at the end of the lesson that a woman had brought her female golden retriever to class whilst she was in heat!

I was livid! What sane person would take their bitch to an obedience class knowing they were in full heat! I refused to go back to a class until that bitch was out of her season! But I can sympathise to how much they drive you mad when they can smell them! And the extra whinging is enough to drive any person to despair! I'm not entirely sure there will be a way to calm him down, his natural drive will be to get to that bitch no matter what! I just hope it doesn't last too much longer so you can keep Diesel all man until he reaches the age where you want him neutered!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You say in the bold part "when he needs to" he does it himself. I would utilize this for when you need him to settle down for your sake. Obviously, if he smells a female, he does not think he should 'chill', and if it were my guy, I'd tell him to. Just like children don't know what they really need sometimes ;) You are entering monster stage and would probably benefit from it. I would also teach a 'quiet' command for excessive whining or barking, and of course redirecting with bones, toys, etc, may help.
Yes. He loves his crate. I tell him to kennel up when I need a break haha He is just now laying down since he's been up at 8. I think he wears himself out with how frustrated he is that he can't get out of the house every 5 seconds.

That's my other fear as that those unruly teenage years are about to start and him being intact, oh boy I'm in for it haha.

I have tried to teach quiet and/or enough and that has failed. I swear he likes to hear himself. The whining is what gets me. I don't mind barking but that whine, ugh! We will try again though. At least us trying again will hopefully wear him out mentally.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Boy oh boy do I not envy you! Before we has Odin "done" we had a rather eventful obedience class! This class was majoritively males who were also not neutered! We were still trying to deal with Odin's male aggression at this point but all of the males were fighting with each other in this class, I couldn't understand it, it was like they had all gone crazy overnight! We found out at the end of the lesson that a woman had brought her female golden retriever to class whilst she was in heat!

I was livid! What sane person would take their bitch to an obedience class knowing they were in full heat! I refused to go back to a class until that bitch was out of her season! But I can sympathise to how much they drive you mad when they can smell them! And the extra whinging is enough to drive any person to despair! I'm not entirely sure there will be a way to calm him down, his natural drive will be to get to that bitch no matter what! I just hope it doesn't last too much longer so you can keep Diesel all man until he reaches the age where you want him neutered!
Wow! I would've been pissed. I have no idea where this female is and Diesel can't see her. I can't imagine them being in a class with a female in heat and a bunch of intact males. That would be a nightmare!

I hope that during the cooler months it will be easier to really really tire him out and I won't have to get the stare down and the constant whining. I was just in the bathroom and he's laying at my feet wining haha He's so frustrated poor guy. I think once I get used to it I won't mind it as much but this being my first time it's super irritating haha

I wonder if this is how human guys feel haha

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Might Help

I know this is a forum for learning and sharing, so while this may be controversial I will post it.

Many years ago I worked in the professional horse world. Almost always when we would arrive to an event, there was always a mare in season. Some of the young stallions then went crazy.

The remedy for that was Vicks up their nose. It worked some. It was much easier to manage them that's for sure.

So some male dogs are more sensitive to the bitchs in season than others. Also, with that scent their "appratus" swells up. So it is sort of hard on their prostrate. Swelling the prostrate is something you also want to avoid.

Thus, I had a male once who became an A Hole when I had bitches in the house, who came in season.

I tried the Vicks up the nose trick on the dog. It worked! However, I must say that anytime you put things up the nose, including the bordella vaccine, you destory some of the scent glands in the nose.

So I am offering you this "idea" of a remedy. I would not be afraid to use it again. The dog had absolutely no side effects and was much more comfortable. You can put it in there as you see needed. It works.

Also, for bitches, if you own them, you can feed them clofofill (sp) but you must start this before they begin to drip, and do it daily. This too is not totally the answer but better than nothing.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts

You know, when I took my first obedience class, I asked the instructor if I shold keep my bitch home if she went into season. He said no, bring it on...distraction training at it's best!

Really..with so many obedience trials occurring concurrently with all breed shows, there's almost certainly going to be lots and lots of bitches in season in the same area. The dogs HAVE to learn how to focus despite that if you're going to trial them successfully.

Beyond that, the owner needs to be able to control their dog whether there's a bitch in season in close proximity or not. This can be a basic safety thing!

I agree with Dobies71, vicks will help cut down on the dog's ability to smell, and so provide some relief in this scenario.

I've lived with quite a few adult intact male dogs and have never had one respond like the OPs unless the bitch was right under their nose, in the same house. All of these dogs were able to be quite controllable at dog shows, with intact bitches nearby...my point being, a bitch in season *somewhere* isn't an acceptable reason for a dog to be out of control. Get your leadership hat on and handle it.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
You know, when I took my first obedience class, I asked the instructor if I shold keep my bitch home if she went into season. He said no, bring it on...distraction training at it's best!

Really..with so many obedience trials occurring concurrently with all breed shows, there's almost certainly going to be lots and lots of bitches in season in the same area. The dogs HAVE to learn how to focus despite that if you're going to trial them successfully.

Beyond that, the owner needs to be able to control their dog whether there's a bitch in season in close proximity or not. This can be a basic safety thing!

I agree with Dobies71, vicks will help cut down on the dog's ability to smell, and so provide some relief in this scenario.

I've lived with quite a few adult intact male dogs and have never had one respond like the OPs unless the bitch was right under their nose, in the same house. All of these dogs were able to be quite controllable at dog shows, with intact bitches nearby...my point being, a bitch in season *somewhere* isn't an acceptable reason for a dog to be out of control. Get your leadership hat on and handle it.

Isn't it still asking a lot of a dog to control their raging hormones? They are not rational thinkers like us so they are not aware they are supposed to control their natural urges unless a human intervenes. I understand the dog needs to be kept under control and it can be managed, but it seems almost cruel(not as in abuse, but thinking with the dog's mind here and thinking like a male) to have a female in heat in a group of intact male dogs. I can imagine how crazy it would drive them, especially the multiple intact males being together with the female because in the wild, that is one thing that males fight over! Many human males have enough trouble as it is keeping it in their pants....Poor guys, haha ;p Of course, as your trainer stated...it is the ultimate distraction training.

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts

I had this happen with one of Daim's obedience trials/test.
My usually well trained and responsive dog suddenly blew off just about every command I gave him....except "drop" I got a fantastic response to that! But when I asked him to get up and recall, he prefered to just lie there foaming and clacking :lol:
I was close to tears at the end of the test, and the judge did apologise and say it was a bit unfair as the immediately prior dog had been a bitch in heat. I wasn't impressed as surely the organisers of the test could have ordered the trials a bit better (it's not as if a lot of dogs were being tested that day).

He was very good around bitches in season, mostly ignoring them and could be called off and away from them, but trying to get him to concentrate on the finer points of obedience when they were under his nose....forget it. :lol:

yes, it's good distraction training....but it does have quite a negative effect on performance/response times, even with the best trained dogs.

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
Life sucked when my new very young kitten went into heat
she would sit by the front door wanting out
I was like ...um..NO!! not letting a baby kitten out
to tramp around...silly girl

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
yes, it's good distraction training....but it does have quite a negative effect on performance/response times, even with the best trained dogs.
In this country, you're not allowed to compete in AKC performance events with a bitch in season. I believe schutzhund/ring sport trials make bitches in season go last. I think that's reasonable.

My point was I just don't accept that a bitch in season *somewhere* is a reason to not train, or to justify a male acting like an idiot.

No matter where you live, or where you go, there's probably going to be at least one bitch in season within the range a dog is able to smell. They live in our world, and they just have to learn to live within our rules and expectations.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts