Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Maximus
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon, I have a 12 week old gorgeous Dobie by the name of Max. He had his ears cropped almost 3 weeks ago by a highly recommended Vet in Southern California. Two week after crop the sutures were removed and his ears were placed in splints. Five days after the initial splint placement I noticed a some moisture and a funky smell from under the tape. I called the Vet immediately, took him in, they removed the splints, and sure enough he had a 1 cm excoriation on the tip of one ear and another on the outer pinna of the other. The vet recommended leaving the post off for the next five days and then return once the wounds healed. According to all threads I have read it seems it is imperative to leave the post on until the ears are standing correctly. The question I have: Is leaving the splints off for the next 5 days seem appropriate, and is leaving the ears out of the splint for this time going to make it so his ears will never stand correctly?

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,422 Posts
As a general rule, one should never tape over an open sore or an unhealed cut edge.

It appears that your vet merely wants to make sure your pup's ears are completely healed before posting them again.

You should be fine, but if you have questions about what is going on and why the vet did what he did, you should be able to get more details by giving him a call.

(Oh, I don't know if I interpreted what you said correctly-----generally one leaves each posting on from 3--7 days, takes the ears down, gives them a cleaning and a little rubbing, and then posts them up again--total time elapsed, 45 minutes or so. This process will last some few months until the ears stand consistently and correctly. I was a little confused by your statement, "leave the post on until the ears are standing correctly" so I wanted to be sure we are all on the same page:))

·
Maximus
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies, yes, I anticipate changing the splint every 3-7 days (or sooner if necessary). Just new with ear cropping process and want to make sure this is a "normal" situation. I'm probably just being an overly concerned parent, but just want the best for my little buddy. :)

·
Broadway Dobermans
846 Posts
Should be just fine. I've just finished posting Rudy....you can look at some of the pics of his ears in my threads. I would never post ears if they are infected or not healed.
I waited until Rudy's ears were perfect on the edges before I started posting.
Good luck. I'm sure he'll be fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts