Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you feeding Innova Evo could you tell me approx. how much you are feeding and the age of your dobe? I realize that no two dogs will be alike and activity level age ect and all play a part. What I am looking to find is if the Evo will be worth the extra cost over Canidae. Locally we have found the Evo 28.6# bag for $40 and the Canidae is $35 for 40# bag.

Trying to see if it will work out about the same based on feeding or if it feeds the same and you have 11 less pounds for $5.00 more.

Any insight from those that have used either or both is much appreciated.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Why is that BIB? I don't know much about Innova, I can't find a store around here that carries it. Is it because it is so high in protien?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Two more questions then. First, do we stay on a puppy food past 6 months and if so how far past? Puppy teeth have fallen three weeks ago.

Second, if it is not to be fed to puppies then why is this on their web site?
Animal feeding tests using AAFCO (Association of American Feed Control Officials) procedures substantiate that EVO Large Bites Dry Dog Food provides complete and balanced nutrition for all life stages.

As usual I am confused!
Papa Teak

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I can't help with the Innova question Teak, but as for the puppy food question, IMO I'd get them switched over to an adult food any time now.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Two more questions then. First, do we stay on a puppy food past 6 months and if so how far past? Puppy teeth have fallen three weeks ago.

Second, if it is not to be fed to puppies then why is this on their web site?
Animal feeding tests using AAFCO (Association of American Feed Control Officials) procedures substantiate that EVO Large Bites Dry Dog Food provides complete and balanced nutrition for all life stages.

As usual I am confused!
Papa Teak
Innova Evo's protein content is 42%. That is way too high for puppies. From what I have read, too much protein in food can cause bone and joint problems. With a large breed like a dobie, it is even more important to keep the protein lower because of potential problems in the future such as hip dysplasia.

Right now I am feeding my pup Canidae All life Stages dry food. That has a 24% protein content. He loves the taste of Canidae, and I love Canidae because I can feed both my dogs from the same bag. With Canidae there is no need to switch after 6 months, you can feed the same food to a dog all its life.:biggthump

A helpful site for analyzing dog food is:
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
I feed Innova Evo, and both of my girls are doing great on it. I did not start on it till Louise was 18 months old. Before that, I fed California Natural Chicken and Rice with excellent results - I started Louise on that at around 5 months old. One of the specific reasons I used Calf. Natural was because of the few ingredients and the lower protien for a growing puppy.

Right now, I am feeding them each one cup - 2 times a day. They also get a small amount of canned mixed in - I mostly use Evangers but mix it up a little with Merrick and Abady canned. Louise was only recently taken down to 1 cup - she was getting a little tubby according to her handler :). Before that she was getting 1 1/2 cups 2x a day.

1 can lasts me 2-3 meals.

It is expensive stuff, but I really like it. I also know that all the recalls have not affected us - which is such a big relief.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK I am understanding this now.

What about just the Innova adult food? it's protien and fat is similar to Canidae and I like the contents a little better.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
How come we can feed RAW to our puppies....with it's high protein content....but not EVO? I bought a bag of EVO....to use when I can't feed Petey RAW. He can not have a drop of anything with any grain or he gets the runs. I'm not sure how he will do on EVO...I haven't tried it yet.

Carol

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
How come we can feed RAW to our puppies....with it's high protein content....but not EVO?
Raw is not high protein....All depending on the meat, and I don't have the numbers handy (sorry), raw meat is about 60+% water, approx. 25% protein and the rest fat etc. If you added water to the kibble it would dillute down to probably the same amounts (please don't kill me guys, I don't have all the numbers handy, but it's been discussed on the raw feeding boards).... But from what I've learned there's something about raw that supposedly makes puppies actually grow at normal range, rather than faster as some kibble fed puppies, depending on their food. I don't know if it's about what's added to kibble - OR maybe it's just misinformation we've all been fed by the dog food producers. What do wild dogs do? Eat more fruit so they don't ruin their joints?

When I compare FiFi to her siblings they've all grown at approx. the same rate, give or take a little. They're all healthy and doing well, as far as we know. Granted I don't know exactly what they've been fed, but I know some are kibble mixed with raw.

Check out food on the usda site:
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts