Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been raised with dog my whole life, and the one dog I have always wanted was a Doberman. However, when I moved away from my parents, I never lived where I could have a dog, so I got 2 cats instead. Now I have a place where I can have a dog and I still want a Doberman. I have researched the dog and understand I need to train and socialize it extensively, and that the dogs are very hyper and known as velcro dogs. I have seen lots of accounts where Dobermans can live with cats and be friendly, and my best bet it to raise the dog with my cats as a pup. My one cat seems fine with a strange dog unless it chases him, then he hides. The other cat’s only introduction with a dog was one of my old ones soon before she passed. The dog was partially blind and very aggressive with other animals, always was since she showed up under our car one day, my cat sat above her and would paw at her head, trying to torment her, but would for the most part stay away and hiss at the dogs. Once they get used to an animal they seem to be okay with them, so my question is what can I do to try and make sure the Doberman is ok with cats? Any specific training or steps I should take? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
807 Posts
If you go through a reputable rescue they will try their dogs out with cats prior to homing them. Some dogs have a strong prey drive and some couldn't careless. Let them take the guess work out of it for you. An older dog may be housebroken and still will bond with you.

·
Super Moderator
21,503 Posts
Or, find a very good breeder. My boy was raised with our cats and is very well behaved with them. A good breeder can choose a puppy with a lower prey drive for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just got a 6month old Dobie and she does great with cats, but my previous one was "curious", and my minpin LOVES the cats. My GF has 3 cats all with 3 different personalities. My minpin's energy doesnt match with any of them except the youngest (house cat version of a Savannah) who also has high energy, and they are basically BFF, one of the cats swats at her all the time, and another one swats occasionally when she is being too much. When I brought Nyx home (6 month old dobie) all the cats ran and hid. Nyx is a little on the ADD and Shy side, so she really didnt find the cats interesting. So far she hasnt been swatted not even once. I think alot goes into how you socialize the cat to the dog and the dog to the cat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts