Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased Welactin and wondering if anyone else heard of this or has used this. Info on package states it is a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids from salmon and cold water fish. Benficial effects supports health skin/cost, normal heart rhythm, renal funtion, nervous system, join funtion and immune function. Roxy weighs 65 lbs. so she would get one spoon(included) per day.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I don't see that it is any better than any other good quality fish oil. Amazon has it for about $24/480 ml (ml = gram). For myself, I buy Kirkland fish oil from Costco and pay about $9.00 for 400 one gram capsules.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
You really need to go on how much DHA and EPA is in a capsule to determine whether a product is a good buy or not. A higher amount of DHA/EPA per pill being a better buy. Most will have around 300 combined, while what I buy has 720 per pill. A normal dog needs 300 mgs of combine DHA/EPA per 20 to 30 lbs bodyweight daily, preferably split into two doses. Per 10 lbs bodyweight for therapeutic doses like arthritis. If you give fish oil, you must suppliment vitamin E as fish oil depletes the body of it. The vitamin E dosage is 5-10 iu per pound bodyweight. The lower amount for the lower doses of fish oil. Since vitamin E is stored in the bodyfat, you can give the weeks dosage in one or two days instead of a daily dose. You should start slowly and build up to your daily doses.

·
Premium Member
8,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You really need to go on how much DHA and EPA is in a capsule to determine whether a product is a good buy or not. A higher amount of DHA/EPA per pill being a better buy. Most will have around 300 combined, while what I buy has 720 per pill. A normal dog needs 300 mgs of combine DHA/EPA per 20 to 30 lbs bodyweight daily, preferably split into two doses. Per 10 lbs bodyweight for therapeutic doses like arthritis. If you give fish oil, you must suppliment vitamin E as fish oil depletes the body of it. The vitamin E dosage is 5-10 iu per pound bodyweight. The lower amount for the lower doses of fish oil. Since vitamin E is stored in the bodyfat, you can give the weeks dosage in one or two days instead of a daily dose. You should start slowly and build up to your daily doses.
Just check the box Total Omega 1500 mg. One teaspoonful (5mL) delievers EPA is 730mg and DHA is 475 mg.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Hmmm...the EPA of 730 and DHA of 475 equals 1205 mgs, so kind of confused about the 1500 mgs per dose? Also remember this for future use, the EPA to DHA ratio should be a 3:2 either way, EPA to DHA or DHA to EPA. The breakdown the product has is a little off, needs about 12 mgs more DHA. Surely that is close enough??? Anyway, make sure the DHA is not sourced from algae because of some methods used to extract use petroleum based chemicals. One more thing, be sure to let your vet know you give this suppliment as you need to discontinue before any surgeries. Makes the blood less sticky so clotting is slowed. Omega 3s,DHA/EPA are a great suppliment to give as it reduces any inflamation going on and helps to lower cholesterol and triglycerides. Youre a good dobermom.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts